Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

The only downside?  A phone call with my sister runs at least 3 hours (that's why I prefer email) so I did miss an important component of an otherwise perfect day.

We've been waiting for a new meat shop to open.  We went there Saturday and met the owner.  All the meats are NM raised on his ranch and he also carries other taste treats.  I saw something and WOW popped out of my mouth.  He came running up, asking, "What's the wow?"

It was a bag of frozen smelt.  Smelt!  My mother made smelt for me when I was little because I was the only member of the family who loved fish and seafood.

Turns out the owner of the shop spent almost 50 years in the Chicago neighborhood where I grew up.

But because I was on the phone with my sister, it was too late to prepare the smelt.

Hopefully they're still good and we can fry some up today.  BH and the dog have never had smelt.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stayman

Montoya's Farm was out of No Name apples so I went to another vendor at the growers' market and looked at their apples.  Some beautiful varieties.

I bought a basket of Stayman apples.  I only wish I'd caught the name of the farm.  It's in Chimayo -- that's all I know.

This is an apple I can appreciate.  Crisp, sweet and tart.  That's all I ask of an apple and it delivers.  Oh -- and it's pretty.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Looks like someone flipped a switch at some point between Saturday night and Sunday morning because we suddenly have a lot more fall color.  More's coming, of course, but yesterday sure was pretty. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Looks like someone flipped a switch at some point between Saturday night and Sunday morning because we suddenly have a lot more fall color.  More's coming, of course, but yesterday sure was pretty. Woman Happy

Happy BIrthday!!! Enjoy those gorgeous Fall leaves Smiley Happy The apples sound yummy. Nothing beats a great Fall fresh apple!

We were lucky had a perfect Fall weather weekend to enjoy our beautiful Fall leaves but today and tomorrow it's raining so many will fall...glad I got out to enjoy them while they lasted. 

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Now, how cool is that?! 💌

How can you not love a guy like that? 🥰😘

@geezerette 

BCard01.jpg

BCard02.jpg

He even had the dog (K) sign it!

He's a (bee) keeper!

What a great card! He is a keeper!! You're a lucky gal Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

It was a weekend of Philosophy temptations for me since they rolled out their holiday sales. A couple of new shower gel scents really interested me but I didn't buy any! I held firm on not buying any more of their gels. I've tried enough to know my skin likes Perlier or Korres better. Philosophy does a great job selling and hyping the scents! I can see why they sell a ton each visit. 

There was also a tempting deal on their pore mask, but I talked myself out of that one after I went to my stash and saw I have 3 Body Shop masks waiting to be used. 

So I saved money by NOT buying any Philosophy all weekend! This was quite the victory for me. Of course, I know I will stalk the items in a week or 2 to read reviews LOL Its bad to say but I would like to see bad reviews so I know I made wise decisions not to try the new scents. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee, sounds like a great birthday!
That is a photograph I would love.
I have never heard of Smelt. What kind of fish is this?
My apples didn't come in this year because we had them trimmed this year. Next year they will come in and we will have more than our share. Neighbors love our apples and plums.

@FindiMyJoy, Great job on resisting the Philosophy!
That's a good accomplishment! It will get easier once you see your bank account grow!☺ proud of you!
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

My gosh, you are the only other human I've ever heard of besides my father that likes smelt!

Must be a Midwestern thing.🐟

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy 

I was almost tempted by that same philosophy pore mask.  Then I thought I have dry skin now so I'd probably end up like a prune.  And I never use those masks.  I've bought gazillions of them in the past, and after one or two uses, I get lazy and they end up going bad and getting tossed out without me ever finishing even one to the end.

And luckily, by the time I got done thinking through all that, they had sold out. Whew!  Another crisis averted! 😂

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Now, how cool is that?! 💌

How can you not love a guy like that? 🥰😘

@geezerette 

BCard01.jpg

BCard02.jpg

He even had the dog (K) sign it!

He's a (bee) keeper!

@just bee 

That is indeed unique!  And very fitting for a unique individual. 🥳

It would make an awesome tattoo! 😉  If you are so inclined in that direction.  Not my cup of tea, but everybody else now seems to go in for them.  Or better yet, a bee drinking a cup of tea (Paris, of course!) sweetened with honey! 😂🐝☕️🍯