Honored Contributor

ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Cat HEP Dog

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So... BH came up with out-of-the-ordinary because I just did something out of the ordinary.

To renew my nursing license I have to have a certain number of continuing education credits every year.  I get a lot of email and snail mail notifications of seminars and conferences and I usually dismiss most of them.

But one caught my eye.  One that was so bizarre that I just had to mention it to BH.  Before I knew it he had convinced me not only to register for the 3-day conference, but to book a hotel and make a mini-vacation out of it.

It's a 3-day Mind-Body Wellness conference -- specifically qigong -- in Santa Fe.  I've lived in New Mexico for 25 years and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in Santa Fe.

Before I could say, "this is crazy talk," BH had registered me for the conference and booked four nights in a Santa Fe hotel.

To make it even more weird, we're thinking of sending me up there on the Rail Runner so I don't have to drive to Santa Fe. 

Rail Runner

I've never been on the Rail Runner.  But neither has the average New Mexican, so no surprise there.

I haven't done anything like this in a very long time.  When I worked in high tech I went back to the Bay Area a couple times for conferences and stayed at a great hotel in San Francisco and another time I stayed at the Claremont.  The difference, of course, was that my company was paying for it.  This time it's all on me.

I will be on my own in Santa Fe and going to different restaurants and wandering around (probably getting hopelessly lost) from Friday 'til Tuesday.  In November.  Could be wandering around in the snow for all I know.

But, for me, this is definitely out of the ordinary.  Something BH says I could use right now.

So that's the challenge for October.  You are to do something out of the ordinary.  Something that makes you think: No way could I do that!

I have to buy a yoga mat for this.  I'll be in Santa Fe.  Left to my own devices.  Without my dog.

Qigong.

Seriously?

Honored Contributor

@just bee @I want to play but I am not sure I know the rules.Do we just stick to one topic or post about all three.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@just bee @I want to play but I am not sure I know the rules.Do we just stick to one topic or post about all three.

@dex 

Rules?  What rules?

We're a lawless bunch here and we post about all sorts of things.  It started with compacting our collections, then it incorporated healthy eating, then it entertained the concept of fun.

But there's a whole lot of other stuff in there, too.

You can post about anything that you want to post about.  And I mean anything -- unless, of course, it's something that will horrify the moderators. Woman Wink

Welcome!

Honored Contributor

@just bee on the plus side, you get a vacation for the privilege of renewing your nurses license.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@just bee on the plus side, you get a vacation for the privilege of renewing your nurses license.

@AuntG 

I woke up this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was: OMG.  What have I done?

The second thing that popped into my head?  I could have bought a new appliance instead.

Then I started fretting about my decision and wondering about logistics and what I would pack and how I would pack and if I had a dental appointment that week and how I was going to be away from the dog and...

Well, you get the idea.

I have a month to continue to fret.  Good thing.  The conference is supposed to help with stress.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if we have to wear those stick-on name tags.

I'm a creature of habit.  This throws my routine out the window.

Maybe if I tell myself that this is my 60th birthday gift to myself that will help.  And since I'll be gone for a few days, maybe I can think of it as BH's birthday gift, too.

I imagine he's thinking just that.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I wonder if we have to wear those stick-on name tags.

I'm a creature of habit.  This throws my routine out the window.

Maybe if I tell myself that this is my 60th birthday gift to myself that will help.  And since I'll be gone for a few days, maybe I can think of it as BH's birthday gift, too.

I imagine he's thinking just that.

Lol..he sure was anxious to have you make that trip ...suspicious?I think it sounds like the best adventure.Rather than worry about hoe it will go I say focus on getting some new stuff to take with you.Check out trip advisor to see if there are some fun things you could see in your free time.This will be a little escape and it really doesn’t matter if it turns out perfect as that never leads to the best adventures.

Trusted Contributor

Just Bee - Your 3 day conference sounds amazing! It will be a great adventure for you to try something totally out of safe zone and by yourself. We will expect a full review once you return! You never know, maybe you'll fall in love with qigong! Smiley Happy I gotta admit that I googled it since I hadn't heard the term previously....per 1 site:

Qigong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow-flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and a calm meditative state of mind.

it sort of sounds like tai chi? I had tried that and failed miserably LOL I couldn't get into the super slow moves and just wasn't feeling mindful enough for it. However, whenever I see it in movies, I always think "don't they look calm and peaceful?"