Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 927
Registered: ‎12-28-2012

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

Nurturing November is a good title. I could use some nurturing. I've been feeling burned out and just really blah about my job lately so if I can give myself some love outside of work, it's a good thing! 

 

This month I know there will be lots of tempting stuff on sale for the holidays. My plan is to try to get some early Christmas shopping done this month so I can avoid stress shopping in December when the malls are just crazy busy. Each Thanksgiving before all of the relatives arrive, my immediate family - siblings, parents, in-laws, we make up a wish list and pick a name so we need to buy gifts for 1 family member for $50. We open the gifts on Christmas Eve. It's a nice family tradition and helps reduce stress of feeling the need to overspend. I need to come up with my wish list of a few things so whoever gets my name has a variety of stuff. Usually I have 1-2 beauty items on it but this year I would like to avoid that since I don't need anything. Is it really sad that I would like some nice thick wool socks for hiking? LOL does that make me really old and boring that I want socks? 

 

Compact goals - since it's starting to get colder and house is feeling more dry, I plan to each night use body cream! moisturize!! Use up a couple bottles hopefully by end of the month? Just say NO to any new purchases of body creams/potions/lotions. I have enough skincare that I shouldn't need to buy anything in that category. The same is for makeup. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,162
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

[ Edited ]

@just bee Give use a travel report. Santa Fe is on my list.... Safe travels

 

@FindingMyJoy Sounds like you've got your ducks in order -- great family gift exchange idea. We're getting more practical, too. Your moisturizing routine reminds me -- I ordered THIEVES roll-on stuff from a friend for immune and relaxation purposes. Cinnamon, eucalyptus, lemon, tree bark, rosemary and I mix drops with coconut oil. Lots of bacteria floating around college campus and new technology at work so we go paperless for everything -- but task takes four times longer -- is driving us all nuts. I can roll that stuff all over myself. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,043
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@just bee - Enjoy your trip!

 

@FindingMyJoy -I the same as you, we've been overwhelmed at work for a while now, which is stressful, and I feel like me, my family and my home could all use a bit of nurturing.  I feel like we've all been so busy that now is a good time to slow down a bit, relax and spend some time together. 

 

I would like to get some Christmas shopping started this month too. I've been asking the kids to give me some ideas, maybe start a list, but nothing yet. 

 

Beauty wise, I've already started seeing some kits and sets come out for Christmas in the ads, and I'm shocked that nothing is really jumping out at me so far. I have a $100 gift card for Ulta that hubby got me for our anniversary that I've been saving, I'm hopng to find a treat for myself, but if not, I'll use it for something else down the road later on. 

 

And no, you are not crazy for asking for wool socks! That sounds like a great gift! I get new slippers usually every year because  my feet are always so cold. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,043
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@jeanlake -welcome to the forum! Yes, it absolutely is a day to day awareness. It's so easy to just buy items when you're really not even paying attention and then you just end up with a whole bunch of useless stuff that you don't know what to do with.

 

Yesterday I went to a bunch of church bazaars with my sister and brother in law. I knew ahead of time that I wanted to look for a couple of fall decor items and that's what I ended up getting. One for my kitchen table and one for my wall. There were so many pretty things but I knew if I got more than that I wouldn't know where to put them. So I made sure to limit myself to 2. I put those out yesterday along with the one I already had and now I'm happy because I have something new to look at.

 

I also got 2 new hanging hand towels, one for Christmas and one for everyday, and a collage frame. I want to make a collage of my kids from when they were younger. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,101
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November


@rnmom wrote:

@jeanlake -welcome to the forum! Yes, it absolutely is a day to day awareness. It's so easy to just buy items when you're really not even paying attention and then you just end up with a whole bunch of useless stuff that you don't know what to do with.

 

Yesterday I went to a bunch of church bazaars with my sister and brother in law. I knew ahead of time that I wanted to look for a couple of fall decor items and that's what I ended up getting. One for my kitchen table and one for my wall. There were so many pretty things but I knew if I got more than that I wouldn't know where to put them. So I made sure to limit myself to 2. I put those out yesterday along with the one I already had and now I'm happy because I have something new to look at.

 

I also got 2 new hanging hand towels, one for Christmas and one for everyday, and a collage frame. I want to make a collage of my kids from when they were younger. 


@rnmom 

 

Excellent point.  I know my biggest buying failures are usually impulsive.  But, like your fall decor items, if you have something in mind ahead of time for a specific use, it tends to work out better.  

I found out long ago I'm not good at impulse anything.  Decisions I make on the spur of the moment, whether important or trivial, rarely are the right ones.  This is one of the biggest problems with shopping--TV, catalog, internet, or even just window shopping.  I got into as much trouble just walking the malls as I do now perusing my email!

 

Have a "goal" in mind and stick to it.  Even if it's just a door wreath or wool socks (a very worthy gift in my book!😉). 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,162
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

rnmom -- exactly where I'm at and it took a lot of self talk to get here. During younger mom days - friends and I would go shopping for a social outlet. Don't even want to think about the random purchases I made when I couldn't afford it. We'd schedule 'girl' weekends to outlet malls and we'd shop and shop; at a time when money was much tighter. I woke up one day and thought -- shopping isn't a sport. In other words, I make more mindful purchases. Found my shopping groove - ha. Everyone has to get there in their own time. Or not.     

 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,371
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November


@jeanlake wrote:

rnmom -- exactly where I'm at and it took a lot of self talk to get here. During younger mom days - friends and I would go shopping for a social outlet. Don't even want to think about the random purchases I made when I couldn't afford it. We'd schedule 'girl' weekends to outlet malls and we'd shop and shop; at a time when money was much tighter. I woke up one day and thought -- shopping isn't a sport. In other words, I make more mindful purchases. Found my shopping groove - ha. Everyone has to get there in their own time. Or not.     

 

 

 


 

@jeanlake, welcome. I did the same with my friends many years ago, it was a social thing and we made whole days of it with getting a bite to eat included.  But shopping was/is a sport,  I am now trying to get a hold of it,  I have gotten better but still have my moments that I need to control a bit better because I have still have too much coming in and the clutter starts to build again. 

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,371
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November


@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@jeanlake -welcome to the forum! Yes, it absolutely is a day to day awareness. It's so easy to just buy items when you're really not even paying attention and then you just end up with a whole bunch of useless stuff that you don't know what to do with.

 

Yesterday I went to a bunch of church bazaars with my sister and brother in law. I knew ahead of time that I wanted to look for a couple of fall decor items and that's what I ended up getting. One for my kitchen table and one for my wall. There were so many pretty things but I knew if I got more than that I wouldn't know where to put them. So I made sure to limit myself to 2. I put those out yesterday along with the one I already had and now I'm happy because I have something new to look at.

 

I also got 2 new hanging hand towels, one for Christmas and one for everyday, and a collage frame. I want to make a collage of my kids from when they were younger. 


@rnmom 

 

Excellent point.  I know my biggest buying failures are usually impulsive.  But, like your fall decor items, if you have something in mind ahead of time for a specific use, it tends to work out better.  

I found out long ago I'm not good at impulse anything.  Decisions I make on the spur of the moment, whether important or trivial, rarely are the right ones.  This is one of the biggest problems with shopping--TV, catalog, internet, or even just window shopping.  I got into as much trouble just walking the malls as I do now perusing my email!

 

Have a "goal" in mind and stick to it.  Even if it's just a door wreath or wool socks (a very worthy gift in my book!😉). 

 

 


 

@geezerette@rnmom,. Yes me too, impulse shopping has been a fail for me but honestly shopping in general has been a fail.  I barely used what I bought.  It was just the acquisition that was the fun. I love when I buy things that make me smile or improve my space,  the thought out stick to the plan purchases are the best and most satisfying. 

 

@rnmom,. Changing my space and redoing it a bit is where I am at too.  Just something different to look at.  It has come to a halt because of different life events lately but it is something you brought back up for me. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,371
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@just bee, I hope you are having a good time on you vacation and getting some zen. 

 

Those wet n wild eyeliners are just awful.  I got the gel retractable that gets good reviews but I literally get no color payoff on my eyes. I wasn’t expecting much from then either. I will work with them a bit, like breaking some off in case they are just dried out but otherwise they are garbage.  Good thing they were only 4 bucks.  I would of even taken raccoon eyes. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to go cheaper. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,371
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

You know what is interesting to me, other years I use to know what was coming out or new for the holidays for both skincare and makeup, i could have a whole conversation about it, this year I have no idea. How great is that. Doesnt mean I wont poke around for something i need but at least there is no obsession as we go into the holiday season. Now to keep up this mindset.