Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

One thing that dawned on me recently is that in about a month we are going to be starting not only a new year but a new decade.  

I am trying to envision the new decade and what I want to accomplish, big or small. I am still thinking......

Have you thought about the new decade, what do you envision for yourself? 

@aprilskies 

I don't want to sound like a Debra Downer (puh-leez don't call me Debbie), but lately I've been preoccupied with time -- or the lack of it.

I'm trying to stay optimistic because we'll be starting over in 2020.  One goal will be accomplished: The new minimalism.  We're pretty much Compacted.

But when I look at the calendar and in the mirror and at the dog, I'm reminded that time is passing at an alarming rate.  And time is limited.

The weight of my jewelry collection is really bothering me.  I'll never wear it all.  I gave up closets full of clothes and restored very little but it still feels like too much.  Will I wear these dressier items?  Probably not.

I still feel bad about all the books I lost but I wouldn't have read all of them.  I don't even think I would have dusted all of them.

I keep thinking I have ten years.  I don't know why that number's in my head, but it is.  A lot of decisions have to be made.  The things I've successfully put off can't be put off anymore.

I feel like I'm suddenly decaying.  I'm in the autumn of my years.  I'm actually okay with that but it still surprises me that it happened so quickly.

My plans for the new decade have to stay simple.  Climbing Everest is out of the question.  Climbing a ladder is practically out of the question.

I think your question is excellent and we should give it a lot of thought in December.

@just bee, exactly to all you said. It is how I feel as well.  

I sent in a large part of my jewelry when gold was originally high years ago. Some of it I regret, but not really. At least I dont have to deal with it now.  But, the rest of it I just dont know what to do with. I dont wear it much anymore and really want to clear it out. I thought about ebay and seeing what happens, but I dont want hassles either.  But, that is last on my list for now. I will start to deal with it soon. 

I think another thing that is big on my list is finally getting a bit healthier and fitter.  Yesterday, I moved my couch and loveseat and really vacuumed all around, well, I felt all the aches and pains.  No way should I be this fragile this soon. So it is time to take fitness seriously. Not sure why it is so hard when I know that is the best thing one can do.  But, I guess I never have been an exerciser to any extent. 

No worries, no Debbie from me. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Well, compactors, I have been able to resist all black Friday emails! So proud of myself.

@Squirrel Lover, that is really awesome.  Congrats. While I didnt buy any beauty products, unfortunately so many other things have been ordered.  

Stay strong. 

Respected Contributor

And one last thing before I run, I have been decluttering a ton.  Just various things but two major things I am most proud of is I really downsized my mu, painful and wasteful but it had to be done. I still have too much.  I cant believe the money I have and had invested in makeup. It kills me a lot but nothing I can do about it. Woman LOL  I am now down to a good medium sized train case. I will re-evaluate as I go.  My brushes are up next.  One thing I have learned is I will think long and hard before buying expensive mu again.  It all went down the drain. 

The other big thing was my bike. I never liked riding it from the beginning, just didnt seem comfortable but I held on it thinkin I would and because I paid a lot of money for it.  Well, it was time for it to go. So I gave it to a relative. Whether he keeps it, I dont care, it is out of my hands finally. 

I have been really brutal and want to keep plugging along while I am feeling this way. I like when I am brutal, it makes the decisions a bit easier. If I have regrets, nothing I can do about it, it is too late. lol

I am even letting go of a fiber optic flower piece I had from the 1980's.  I looked on ebay and while there was a lot of them listed, none were sold. 

So out it goes. 

I am really making progress. If I do move next year, I want it to be as effortless as moves can be. 

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I ordered some stuff from Goat Milk Stuff.  I've been curious about their products for a while and thought I'd take advantage of their sale.  I got some goat milk soap and lotion from another large company and I like it, but it has a minuscule amount of goat milk in it compared to the GMS.  I really want to get some soap and lotion/cream that keeps my fingers from cracking.  It gets so painful, not to mention that it looks terrible.

But that's it for buying any other experimental skin care--at least until I use all the stuff I have now, which will probably last me for a good long while.  This coming year has to be a totally different mindset for me:  

Less, lesser, least.

@geezerette 

I just checked out the goat website and that's something I definitely need to avoid.  How did you ever decide on items to order?  Way too many choices.

Well, sounds like 2020 could be the year to really focus.  @aprilskies is laying the groundwork for some big changes, so this could be the time to commit.

I kept putting things off and look what happened.  Better to tackle the problem yourself before it's tackled for you.

Maybe by the end of 2020 we'll all be minimalists!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I had a whole thing written out and as I reread it, it sounded so serious so I didnt want to bring down the mood. Woman LOL  Let's just say, it is tiime to make some real changes. 

@aprilskies 

Bring down the mood?  I said I had ten years left and I was in decay.  How much worse was your post?  Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I have been really brutal and want to keep plugging along while I am feeling this way. I like when I am brutal, it makes the decisions a bit easier. If I have regrets, nothing I can do about it, it is too late. lol

@aprilskies 

Don't worry about the regrets.  Every time I think about something I lost or decided to let go and maybe shouldn't have, I remind myself that I am decaying and have ten years -- if that -- and I don't want to spend it worrying about "stuff" that I'm going to lose when all is said and done anyway.  Because I'll be past tense.  Right?

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Maybe this should have been Nihilist November. Woman Wink