Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@geezerette wrote:

I‘m finding it interesting to see what it is that I’m choosing to save.  Boxes of “treasures” are being given away without a second thought, or often even a thorough look at everything inside.  Oh sure, seeing things from our past brings back memories, but oddly, I don’t feel the need to keep them.  Or the desire.  In fact, the more I get rid of, the better I feel about it.  I look forward to getting back to decluttering the house to get that to a more enjoyable place.

But I find that some of the things I’m having trouble tossing are not what I would have thought.  Like paperwork.  Our original trust, which I should have destroyed long ago, my father’s death certificate or my mother’s bank records.  Old medications—some from my dog who passed five years ago.  Documents that have writings or a signature.  And other “personal” items.  I guess, in a way, it’s the things that I associate that person or pet with most closely.  But it’s funny because—so far, at least—not one thing that I can’t bear to part with is something big, fancy or expensive.  Just not the normal things people would think would be important to me.  I’m just weird, I guess.

@geezerette,  You are doing so well.  This year I am going to try and address those treasures as well. This is my year in trying to simplify my surroundings. I have done a major declutter a few years back and little ones along the way, but I want to tackle everything this year.  I really do want things to be clean, simple and functional. That doesnt mean I want to hear echos in my home, but to know what I have, to love what I have and to have a use for what I have, whether it is a visible love or a functional one.

It really does put things in perspective when what you choose to keep are the more sentimental ones and that is priceless.  It took me a year to throw out my kitty's medication.  Even after the year, it took everything I had to let it go.  That was one of the hardest things.

I feel like I am in such a "weird" place in life. Age brings about many emotions.  But, I feel ready to address all of the cobwebs.

Respected Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

I lost 4 pounds the past week by returning to logging my food and with daily exercise. I don't expect that again as it is mostly water loss. Now, at the same time, I've been ridding myself of lotions and potions partly used with a vow now to be lured into a new "greatest" item.

I've also been watching "Tidying Up" on Netflix which is the Marie Kondo series in which she helps families declutter. Her emphasiis is instead of focusing upon a room that we focus upon a type of item, so focusing upon our beauty items falls in line with that. 

@KonaKat, me too. I am down 3.5 and dont feel quite so bloated. I know it is just water weight but I was thrilled to see it go down a little bit and its giving me some motivation.  I just now have to be careful on going backwards.

I just recently cancelled Netfilx.  I didnt realize Marie had a series. I am sure that is interesting and something I will keep in mind.  These types of shows always provide such motivation.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, let’s see.  My attic project continues.  Every couple of days, weather and body permitting, I get a few more boxes of stuff out of there.  I’ve made a good-sized dent in the maze.  Several boxes of old tax records and receipts are going to have to wait until I talk to the accountant to see what can be shredded.  Most, I suppose.  Some are from the 1970s.  

I‘m finding it interesting to see what it is that I’m choosing to save.  Boxes of “treasures” are being given away without a second thought, or often even a thorough look at everything inside.  Oh sure, seeing things from our past brings back memories, but oddly, I don’t feel the need to keep them.  Or the desire.  In fact, the more I get rid of, the better I feel about it.  I look forward to getting back to decluttering the house to get that to a more enjoyable place.

But I find that some of the things I’m having trouble tossing are not what I would have thought.  Like paperwork.  Our original trust, which I should have destroyed long ago, my father’s death certificate or my mother’s bank records.  Old medications—some from my dog who passed five years ago.  Documents that have writings or a signature.  And other “personal” items.  I guess, in a way, it’s the things that I associate that person or pet with most closely.  But it’s funny because—so far, at least—not one thing that I can’t bear to part with is something big, fancy or expensive.  Just not the normal things people would think would be important to me.  I’m just weird, I guess.

Now, if I could get my HEP on track as good as my decluttering, I’d be a happy camper.  My decluttering is an ongoing process that I do eagerly and willingly.  My eating is still a struggle that I seem to not be making much progress with.  I’m off the junk food and most sugar (except for about a half-teaspoon for my tea).  So there’s that much.  But I’m replacing snacks with nuts so that’s not helping me lose any weight.  I guess it’s not so much what I’m eating anymore, as how much.  Something to work on, but I’m just not motivated.  I’ve heard that antidepressants will cause weight gain, but I can’t use that as an excuse.  I wouldn’t really mind if it was working better.

Well, guess I should get off my duff and get the dog out for a walk.  Exercise is another non-motivational event lately too.  

@geezerette

I can't part with my old dogs' toys, collars and leashes.  And the only exercise I've had in the past month is taking the dog out.  Which is what I'm going to do right now.

I've been like a bear in a cave and I have to go out just to blow the stink off.

Or is that the smell of that sleeping cream?  Shea butter, bear grease.  Same thing.

You've been much more productive than moi.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, ladies, for being so sweet and forgiving for my 'venting'.  Sometimes, I just get so exhausted and frustrated being a caregive to DH.  Anyway, thanks!

I watched a few episodes of Marie Kondo's "Tidying Up" on Netflix and felt inspired to reorganize the pantry.  It took me all day to unload each shelf, clean it, sort through the stuff and dispose of expired stuff and then reorganize.  Two garbage bags full of stuff went in the trash.  Organizing the pantry has been on my 'to do' list for 2 years and it's finally done.  The Empty Nesters episode was astonishing with all the stuff they had in that large house.  And the mountain of her clothes, LOL, unbelievable.  I though I had a lot of clothes but compared to her, I'm a piker.  It's also interesting to note that it takes 6-8 weeks for the people in the episodes to go through their stuff and organize it.  Not something you accomplish in a single afternoon. 

I've noticed that the worse my DH feels, the more frantic I become and can't focus on things like reorganizing the pantry.  DH has been recovering from pneumonia and is finally starting to feel and act like his old self.  Hence, me feeling relaxed enough to reorganize the pantry.  We are both coming to terms with his illness and that he will never be 'cured', his leukemia will only be 'managed'.  This is a bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended) and very difficult for my DH to reconcile as he was a very active person before his diagnosis.  This is not how we envisioned our retirement years together. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Racehorses are the only animals that can take a couple of thousand people for a ride.

No horse can never go as fast as the money you bet on him.

Horse sense is the good judgment that keeps horses from betting on people.

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

Thank you, ladies, for being so sweet and forgiving for my 'venting'.  Sometimes, I just get so exhausted and frustrated being a caregive to DH.  Anyway, thanks!

I watched a few episodes of Marie Kondo's "Tidying Up" on Netflix and felt inspired to reorganize the pantry.  It took me all day to unload each shelf, clean it, sort through the stuff and dispose of expired stuff and then reorganize.  Two garbage bags full of stuff went in the trash.  Organizing the pantry has been on my 'to do' list for 2 years and it's finally done.  The Empty Nesters episode was astonishing with all the stuff they had in that large house.  And the mountain of her clothes, LOL, unbelievable.  I though I had a lot of clothes but compared to her, I'm a piker.  It's also interesting to note that it takes 6-8 weeks for the people in the episodes to go through their stuff and organize it.  Not something you accomplish in a single afternoon. 

I've noticed that the worse my DH feels, the more frantic I become and can't focus on things like reorganizing the pantry.  DH has been recovering from pneumonia and is finally starting to feel and act like his old self.  Hence, me feeling relaxed enough to reorganize the pantry.  We are both coming to terms with his illness and that he will never be 'cured', his leukemia will only be 'managed'.  This is a bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended) and very difficult for my DH to reconcile as he was a very active person before his diagnosis.  This is not how we envisioned our retirement years together. 

@River Song

Life is what happens while you’re making other plans.  I never envisioned myself half-quoting John Lennon and technically I haven't because his line, "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" has actually been attributed -- a version of it, anyway -- to someone else.

I'm relieved.

But whatever version, it does ring true.  I have envisioned the future in my past and it practically guarantees me a curveball.  I was even thinking about some of those curveballs on the drive home from work this morning.  Like, at age ten, I thought I had a plan.  That plan did not include my mother putting us, two cats and a raccoon on an airplane at O'Hare and flying to Arizona.

Today I was thinking about that decision.  What was going on in her head?  As it turned out, that year should have been the worst year of my life (The Beatles broke up and I lost both my dad and my raccoon) but it was actually one of the best years.

When I take inventory, what comes to mind are the curveballs, the challenges.  The worst possible scenario that actually happened.  Life's lemons.  They were the adventures. 

They're the things that are, as you say, managed.  They never seem to be a part of the plan, yet there they are.

And somehow we do manage.  How, I don't know.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

What do you mean I’m not a bear? I have all of the koalafications!

Q: What would bears be without bees?

A: Ears.

Honored Contributor

@River Song

Ah yes, expectations.  I never expected my “Golden Years” to be spent in the middle of a cow pasture with a monster dog and two cats—by myself.  It still seems like a dream.  Yet every day I get up to find it’s now my reality.  Some days I can deal with it; others, not so much.  And since I haven’t yet figured out a way to change it, I guess I have to just do the best I can.  

And that’s all any of us can really do is the best we can.  As you found with the clutter—there’s always somebody worse off than you are.  You try to appreciate the little things you do have.  Cliche, I know, but you don’t know how true it is until you’re in a situation like you are now.

It puts into perspective how much we have tried to let our possessions bring us happiness.  When you’re in a life or death struggle, those things are totally irrelevant, and they often are just in the way instead of giving us pleasure.  I think we’re all looking for that balance of having enough things that we love and need and not too many things that become time consuming, energy draining and unnecessary.

But isn’t it wonderful that your DH is feeling well enough that you can get back to thinking your pantry needed reorganization?  👏🥳  

Honored Contributor

My attic cleanup has progressed to the point that I think I can take an extended hiatus.  Except for a few heavy things that I’m going to need help with, and boxes upon boxes of old tax records that will need to be shredded, I’ve about gotten the place ship-shape enough for my tastes.

Now that it’s about over, I’m glad I tackled it.  But I’m also glad to have all that stuff gone—one way or another.  The things I decided to keep were all small and can probably be counted on one hand.  As I went through everything, some things did bring back memories.  But I figured that I had lived without them for some 13 years now, so I didn’t need them now.   It was really enlightening to see just how much stuff was so old it was obsolete or had been sitting up there for so long it no longer was viable.  Good reminder not to keep things too long you’re not using.

On the subject of beauty items, I found out that you can’t refrigerate argan oil.  I pulled some out of the frig to use and it was frozen.  Both bottles I had in there.  Another good reason not to buy so much that you’re not going to use in a timely manner.  

I didn't get another Clarisonic when mine died because I was tired of buying brushes and sick of all these beauty gadgets that don’t do a darn thing for me.  However, I’m finding that my skin is rougher lately and I don’t know if it’s the Clarisonic or not using the extra oil.  I hate the idea of going back to some device just to clean my face, but I’m not going to rule it out.  Think I’ll experiment with a few other changes first.

Next project is to go through the house again for another round of decluttering.  That I can do when I feel like it, instead of all at once.  Hopefully our weather will improve so that I can get outside a little this winter.  And hopefully I’ll finally be able to kick whatever this bug is that seems to come and go.  Now, even the dog has a runny nose!🤧🙀😸

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

I hear ya about "the bug."  It's been one month today and I still don't feel I'm over it because I spent the weekend on the couch, coughing.  The cough comes and goes.  I know I'm not sick but why do I still feel sick? 

I have an all-day seminar today and tomorrow I have a blood donation scheduled.  At some point this weekend we're going to have to figure out what to do with the furniture in the room that's going to be torn apart by the plumbers on Monday.

That project went on hold during the holidays and now it's on again.

I still haven't touched the cookbooks that I pulled out of that room and have stacked on the dining room table.

Maybe I'll just start the new year in February.