Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Accountable April

Squirrel Lover - I have spent a bunch of money on returns for the perfect jersey fabric items.  I kept ordering them thinking one of these will fit me.  They just do not look nice on me, they show every imperfection.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

In the 90s I found a long-sleeve tunic I liked and bought it in several colors.  I'd like to find another tunic like that to wear over my hiking pants.

I went online and was shocked at the prices for a basic "elongated" T-shirt.  Then you get into the "fancy" tunics...

tunic

How pretty.  But I'd never wear anything like this.  It's an Ermanno Scervino, made in Italy, sold at Neiman Marcus for $2740.00.

I'd have to think twice about paying even $27 for a tunic.  I must be really old.  I remember when $2740.00 could get you a car.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

It's starting a busy time over here. It's the last month of school. I actually don't like summer. It's just so hot and humid. Like you all I prefer cooler weather when I can wear jeans and layers. Yes even in HI it gets chilly, relatively speaking. I also don't like wearing shorts so I'm in jeans or capris all year long.

Did I tell you we finally bit the bullet and got rid of our carpet? It's only been 9 years but 2 kids and multiple pets had destroyed it. We put in vinyl planks and it's been so nice. Now instead of the carpet holding all the hair and fur, it blows around in tumbleweeds and I know it's time to bust out the Swiffer. We also didn't move all the furniture back into the space. There's still 3 pieces that haven't been moved back. It's so nice to have the open space. I don't think those pieces are ever going to make it back in. We also replaced our fridge. It was literally ticking like a time bomb. We ended up getting a simple top freezer style without an ice maker. It's huge and so easy to get things out. More and more I'm seeing that simple is the way to go. Ice makers have always been the first to break so we just use ice trays. We also are living without a dishwasher. It bit the dust the other year and I'm been meditatively washing dishes ever since.

I have a love hate relationship with eyeshadow. I love how they look in the palette and I enjoy applying it, but by the end of the day, I think it makes me look tired. But I can't stop using the eyeshadows or all my palettes would go to waste. So I always end up in a cycle where I buy a palette then want to declutter another one. In the last couple of months I haven't bought any palettes. I'm still on the search for the perfect concealer. I've tried cheap, high end, correctors, liquid, cream, solid...I still haven't found it. When I don't buy makeup, I find that I buy more skincare. Replacing one thing with another. I try to buy minis as much as possible because I know I'll want to try the new stuff. @just bee  I'm always tempted to buy WNW makeup because it's so darned cheap and many times have such good reviews. I've heard that those new palettes aren't as good as the old formulas so I haven't bought any. I decluttered so many of them over time but it was because I just had too many and they weren't getting enough use. I also had that Pearlescent Pink blush once but it was decluttered too. @aprilskies I stopped using and buying bronzer only this year. I finally realized that I just can't be bothered trying to make it not look like dirt on my face. I have a wide face so I really should be contouring... Instead I can't be without highlighter. I love that sheen on the cheekbones. 

We have a trip to Japan coming up this summer. This time for vacation and not a mission. I can't wait to eat some fresh seafood! I wish I was 10 lbs lighter before then but that's not going to happen. The good thing about Japan is the amount of walking just in everyday life. We easily walk 8-10 miles a day so we don't feel so bad indulging. One thing I want to get is a new wallet. The button on my Kate Spade wallet no longer works but I've been holding out because I love the Japanese aesthetic in leather goods. Actually in everything. I wish I could bring an entire house with me. I love the simple lines and the use of wood. Aah, that would be so refreshing to come home to.

The much anticipated and dreaded Sephora sale is upon us. I will be stocking up on skincare. The one makeup product I want is a cream shadow from Supergoop. It's SPF for the eyelids. It's great for a simple one-shadow look, which is my fantasy eyelook. I plan to make that my trip makeup and maybe I can wean myself off of eyeshadow palettes. Speaking of SPF, don't forget to put it on your hands and between your fingers. I found a "beauty spot" inbetween my fingers this week on my left hand. I know it wasn't there before and I'm sure it's from sun exposure when I'm driving.

Finally, HEP was going pretty good because I gave up sweets for Lent. It actually wasn't hard. The longer I went without, the less I craved it. I didn't notice a change in my weight but DH says I look leaner. Maybe....but now that I can eat sweets again, it's hard to not eat them. They are everywhere. It's not even that I want to eat them. They just exist. Arg!

@geezerette I'm glad you are feeling better. It's interesting how we don't realize we need something until we are without it. 

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

It's starting a busy time over here. It's the last month of school. I actually don't like summer. It's just so hot and humid. Like you all I prefer cooler weather when I can wear jeans and layers. Yes even in HI it gets chilly, relatively speaking. I also don't like wearing shorts so I'm in jeans or capris all year long.

Did I tell you we finally bit the bullet and got rid of our carpet? It's only been 9 years but 2 kids and multiple pets had destroyed it. We put in vinyl planks and it's been so nice. Now instead of the carpet holding all the hair and fur, it blows around in tumbleweeds and I know it's time to bust out the Swiffer. We also didn't move all the furniture back into the space. There's still 3 pieces that haven't been moved back. It's so nice to have the open space. I don't think those pieces are ever going to make it back in. We also replaced our fridge. It was literally ticking like a time bomb. We ended up getting a simple top freezer style without an ice maker. It's huge and so easy to get things out. More and more I'm seeing that simple is the way to go. Ice makers have always been the first to break so we just use ice trays. We also are living without a dishwasher. It bit the dust the other year and I'm been meditatively washing dishes ever since.

I have a love hate relationship with eyeshadow. I love how they look in the palette and I enjoy applying it, but by the end of the day, I think it makes me look tired. But I can't stop using the eyeshadows or all my palettes would go to waste. So I always end up in a cycle where I buy a palette then want to declutter another one. In the last couple of months I haven't bought any palettes. I'm still on the search for the perfect concealer. I've tried cheap, high end, correctors, liquid, cream, solid...I still haven't found it. When I don't buy makeup, I find that I buy more skincare. Replacing one thing with another. I try to buy minis as much as possible because I know I'll want to try the new stuff. @just bee  I'm always tempted to buy WNW makeup because it's so darned cheap and many times have such good reviews. I've heard that those new palettes aren't as good as the old formulas so I haven't bought any. I decluttered so many of them over time but it was because I just had too many and they weren't getting enough use. I also had that Pearlescent Pink blush once but it was decluttered too. @aprilskies I stopped using and buying bronzer only this year. I finally realized that I just can't be bothered trying to make it not look like dirt on my face. I have a wide face so I really should be contouring... Instead I can't be without highlighter. I love that sheen on the cheekbones. 

We have a trip to Japan coming up this summer. This time for vacation and not a mission. I can't wait to eat some fresh seafood! I wish I was 10 lbs lighter before then but that's not going to happen. The good thing about Japan is the amount of walking just in everyday life. We easily walk 8-10 miles a day so we don't feel so bad indulging. One thing I want to get is a new wallet. The button on my Kate Spade wallet no longer works but I've been holding out because I love the Japanese aesthetic in leather goods. Actually in everything. I wish I could bring an entire house with me. I love the simple lines and the use of wood. Aah, that would be so refreshing to come home to.

The much anticipated and dreaded Sephora sale is upon us. I will be stocking up on skincare. The one makeup product I want is a cream shadow from Supergoop. It's SPF for the eyelids. It's great for a simple one-shadow look, which is my fantasy eyelook. I plan to make that my trip makeup and maybe I can wean myself off of eyeshadow palettes. Speaking of SPF, don't forget to put it on your hands and between your fingers. I found a "beauty spot" inbetween my fingers this week on my left hand. I know it wasn't there before and I'm sure it's from sun exposure when I'm driving.

Finally, HEP was going pretty good because I gave up sweets for Lent. It actually wasn't hard. The longer I went without, the less I craved it. I didn't notice a change in my weight but DH says I look leaner. Maybe....but now that I can eat sweets again, it's hard to not eat them. They are everywhere. It's not even that I want to eat them. They just exist. Arg!

@geezerette I'm glad you are feeling better. It's interesting how we don't realize we need something until we are without it. 

@Oshare-girl 

What a great post!

1. We'll have a warm, sunny weekend with temps in the low 80s.  I have my fingers crossed for rain midweek.  I shouldn't criticize our climate here -- it's really better than most places.  I do enjoy the high desert in that when the sun goes down so does the temperature.  That is one fine feature.

2. I'm sick with jealousy.  I want to be carpetless.  If it was only me, I'd rip it out today and just have a concrete floor.  But now that we have a working vacuum cleaner, I think we'll keep it while the dog is here.  He's not getting any younger and he'll need padding.  When we take him shopping, there are certain types of flooring that... well, floor him.

And I agree about washing dishes.  I'll have to replace the dishwasher if we sell the house but I have no intention of having one while I'm still here.  I actually enjoy washing dishes.  And our glassware looks so much better now that it's not being destroyed by the dishwasher.

I dread replacing the fridge.  We have to have a side-by-side because of the giant island in the middle of the kitchen.  If we have to have water in the door, maybe we can just not hook it up.

3. It's weird.  I was never that into makeup because it was just another step in getting dressed and out the door.  Now I'm looking forward to that step.  I don't know what happened.  It's like ten minutes that I get to play.  Strangely therapeutic.

Cheap makeup has changed my life.

4. A trip to Japan!  I worked for a Japanese company for 13 years but never had the chance to travel there.  I took a fantastic Asian Art class in college (Art minor) and I do like that esthetic you're talking about.  It's also the simplicity, right?

And, living in landlocked New Mexico, I totally understand the need for fresh seafood.  We finally tried that sushi place and I don't know where they get their fish, but it's definitely better than what we've had here.  It can't be all that fresh -- it still has to make its way here -- but whatever they're doing is working.

5. I've been to Sephora once, I think, and that was just so I could sniff a bottle of Pink Sugar.  I'm safe -- that sell won't tempt me.

6. Sweets.  I forgot to buy marked-down Easter candy!  I know I need to limit sugar, alcohol and carbs but at this point I'm unwilling to give up Amstel Light and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.  I will say no to candy and desserts before I give up alcohol.  Plenty of sugar and carbs there.  My big carb issue is bread, pasta and rice.  BH and I had some old naan in the freezer that had to be used so I made naan pizza last night.  Less crust and it still tasted like pizza.

That and a glass of red wine... strangely therapeutic.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee I can't believe the cost of things these days. If I didn't live in Isaac's and LL Bean's pima cotton tees I would not pay $36 for a tee, but I actually wear these tees 6 out of 7 days a week. 

I have two lace tops from Isaac and when I wear them I never fail to get a compliment. The only way I can justify my spending these days is by actually wearing what I buy and I can say that keeping my wardrobe purged constantly I can see all of my stuff and I do wear it. Price per wear is a good way to calculate what something is worth.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@just bee I can't believe the cost of things these days. If I didn't live in Isaac's and LL Bean's pima cotton tees I would not pay $36 for a tee, but I actually were these tees 6 out of 7 days a week. 

I have two lace tops from Isaac and when I wear them I never fail to get a compliment. The only way I can justify my spending these day is by actually wearing what I buy and I can say that keeping my wardrobe purged constantly I can see all of my stuff and I do wear it. Price per wear is a good way to calculate what something is worth.

@Squirrel Lover 

Excellent point.

As I get older I'm finding that I'm embracing "the uniform."  I should have gone to nursing school in the 1970s instead of the 2000s because wearing scrubs is appealing.

But I think they were still in that white garb back then, so nursing was not an option.  No way would that little cap have stayed on my head.

I just can't be bothered with fussy clothes anymore.  I need simplicity.  I've moved away from prints and high maintenance fabrics to monochromatic wash and wear items.

You're right about the pricier tees: They do look and feel better.  If I can find one that works I wouldn't hesitate to invest.

BH recently changed his wardrobe.  He bought short and long-sleeve black tees and that's all I see him in these days.  He only wears black wool socks now.  Looks like he wears the same thing every day, actually.

Quite a change from what he used to wear! Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@just bee A uniform is kind of what I have. I have a "look" for myself almost always pima tees, sweater or jacket or fleece, jeans or Isaac 24/7 pants. 

I read that successful people wear uniforms so they don't have to make a decision about their clothing. I am not near that way, but I found what I feel comfortable wearing and it fits my needs for the activities in my lifestyle. We need to be ourselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Accountable April is coming to an end.  Have you been accountable?

I've been addressing some things that have been on the back burner for some time.  Actually, they weren't even on my back burner -- they were in a kitchen in a house three neighborhoods away.

Just trying to develop the habit of addressing things a little at a time instead of procrastinating.  This requires lists.  Right now I have only a handful of items left on my April list and I have an extra day off to complete them because my work schedule changes on May 1.

So...

After reviewing M-words for May, I'm thinking about using a word I tend to avoid like the plague.

Mellow.

Soft and rich in quality; calm; relaxed; having a pleasing and full flavor through proper aging.

I like that definition.  Whaddya think?

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@just bee A uniform is kind of what I have. I have a "look" for myself almost always pima tees, sweater or jacket or fleece, jeans or Isaac 24/7 pants. 

I read that successful people wear uniforms so they don't have to make a decision about their clothing. I am not near that way, but I found what I feel comfortable wearing and it fits my needs for the activities in my lifestyle. We need to be ourselves.

@Squirrel Lover 

We do.

I've been moving in the uniform direction for some time.  As much as I like "creative" socks, I've gone to conservative socks and not-so-conservative shoes.  Most of my color now is on my feet.

Hey -- maybe that's why I'm suddenly more interested in shadow and blush!  Taking color out of my wardrobe, but adding it to my makeup.  Balance.

I knew I'd figure this out!  Thanks, @Squirrel Lover !

Honored Contributor

Today's makeup experiment: Filling in my brows with my old Maybelline brow pencil.

I usually don't touch my brows because even with a light hand and brushing out most of the pencil, I look in the mirror and the first thing that pops into my head is:

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.