Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Manageable March

@just bee, you are too funny.  It goes to show how different we are about our stuff. I am sentimental about a few things but not most.  I would love someone like your DH to make my next decisions because I am faced with the harder ones.  Not because I am attached to the items but because I never used some of them, ex my big daddy mixer. I have had it for over a decade. But, I keep thinking I will start to use it.  It is not bothering me for now but at one point I will need to start using stuff or let it go. I have a zillion kitchen gadgets. I have decluttered some but can do so much better.   I too just dropped off things at goodwill. It was easy and convenient and I just had to get things out.  At one point I was trying to give to other places.  I had nice suits that were barely used and while they didn’t look dated, they had those big shoulder pads, etc., I guess dated in a way. well the women’s place only wanted what was current.  Not even sure what that would of been at the time so I just dropped things off at goodwill. Other places I barely got through to anyone.  I needed things out and didn’t have the energy to go through all that,  I think it is great you are trying to give to different places.  Next time I will look for places that benefit animals.  Although, I am not sure I am doing another major declutter in the near future, I will just do things as I go.  

Good of luck with your decluttering. 

Honored Contributor

@PAladywrote:

just bee -  I don't give anything to Goodwill - That man is a millionaire on everyone's free stuff.  There are too many good organizations that can benefit from your donations.  Okay, off my soap box.  Good job on the decluttering.

One last thing - Must. Quit. Ordering. Girl. Scout. Cookies.

@PAlady

I've given plenty to Goodwill over the years -- and actually received a really nice letter from them after I donated a lovely, never-worn bridal gown (long story) -- but there are many other organizations I prefer, so I tend to go with those.

After taking the dog on a hike through the Sandias today we stopped by the Animal Humane NM Thrift Store.  The place was jammed -- looked like the place to be on a Sunday.

I was afraid my things weren't good enough to donate and now I'm thinking they might be too good!

I pulled a giant stuffed lobster out of the closet and a huge stuffed K-9 (Marvin the Martian's pet alien dog) with the Looney Tunes tag still on it.  One doesn't see many K-9 items out there so I'm wondering if it's something I should hang on to.

But why?  Do I really need to keep an enormous green stuffed dog?

And, yes, I really do have a giant stuffed lobster.  Don't ask.

Anyway, don't get me started about Girl Scout cookies.  Better-half bought three boxes yesterday and I've already sampled the Samoas.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee, I am sure you are already doing it but be sure to check online and see if some that stuff isn’t worth anything before you donate. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskieswrote:

@just bee, I am sure you are already doing it but be sure to check online and see if some that stuff isn’t worth anything before you donate. 

@aprilskies

I mentioned to BH that one doesn't see many of these K-9 stuffed animals -- especially ones that are this size -- and he checked out ebay.  Smaller ones are selling for $70+.

If I donate it, someone will pounce on it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Talk about giving stuff away...

We stopped by our Natural Grocers to pick up scallions and parsley and I wandered over to their beauty section to see if they had Acure on sale.  Did they ever.

Shampoo and conditioner were marked down to $4.99!

That's half off.  Which explains why the shelves were bare.  Rats!  Too late!  They sold all the old packaging to make room for the new design.

I would have stocked up. Woman Mad

Super Contributor

Hi Compactors, I haven't been here in a while.  Just a summary of last year.  I started out with good intentions but everything went downhill.  So far, I've started 2018 really good.  I took a couple of no-buy pledges with Frugalwoods & Frugalchic.  Worked out well.  I bought only fresh fruits & I was able to use up a lot of what I had in my pantry.  

The other reason I'm doing well beside having very little money is that I watched a documentary on Netflix called The True Cost.  It's about the fast, cheap clothing industry that we've all been accustom to.  That really changed my outlook on things.  

Hopefully I'll keep it up.

Honored Contributor

@kitty45wrote:

Hi Compactors, I haven't been here in a while.  Just a summary of last year.  I started out with good intentions but everything went downhill.  So far, I've started 2018 really good.  I took a couple of no-buy pledges with Frugalwoods & Frugalchic.  Worked out well.  I bought only fresh fruits & I was able to use up a lot of what I had in my pantry.  

The other reason I'm doing well beside having very little money is that I watched a documentary on Netflix called The True Cost.  It's about the fast, cheap clothing industry that we've all been accustom to.  That really changed my outlook on things.  

Hopefully I'll keep it up.

@kitty45

I'd mentioned we had hit the local mall yesterday, looking for the Watermelon Mountain Ranch store.  Neither of us could remember the last time we were at any mall.  It's been years. 

Better-half was shocked.  We had to walk through Dillard's and not only were the styles garish, but the items looked cheap.  So, today, when we were checking out the Animal Humane NM Thrift Store just to get a feel for what would be appropriate for donation, I told him that the thrift stores were probably getting more shoppers because the older items there are simply better quality than what you'd find in the department stores today.

I know that the clothes I'm getting ready to take down there are impressive compared to the newer things I see in the stores.  Better material, better buttons, better stitching.  And the fact that so many of these items still look and feel new.

But then look at the Oscars tonight.  B movies are up for Best Picture.  Go figure.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette Hang in there and don't forget to breathe and take care of yourself. We would all hold up your heart if we could.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@just bee What a title for a novel: "Bee anew the Deadly Desert Lobster." Intriguing. 

Honored Contributor

Holy jojoba!  I recently tossed an old bottle of jojoba -- a huge bottle -- and didn't give it a thought because if I  ever wanted to replace it I could because jojoba is cheap.

Not anymore!  I swear the price has tripled since I bought my last bottle.

I'll just put off replacement for now...