Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Overdue October!

Well, this is pretty pathetic.  It's autumn and another summer has flown by.  As I'm preparing to tackle my closets I might have to keep the following in mind:

Didn't wear those capris I bought a few years ago.

Didn't wear any of my sandals.

Didn't wear any of those summery frocks.

Didn't wear any of the straw hats or caps.

And I haven't worn any of my camp shirts or Hawaiian shirts. 

Every summer I plan to pull all these things out of the closet and actually wear them but -- year after year -- I actually don't.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Apparently @MacDUFF 's thread about curating her closet in Fashion (and, of course, this ongoing one) was just what I needed to inspire me to go through my closet and get rid of what I do not love as those items just don't get worn. I now have 2 large shopping bags stuffed and ready to go to Goodwill. It's nice to actually have a little room in my closet. 😄

I recently purged my bra/undie drawer after I had my first bra fitting (about 30 years late 😳) and discovered my bras were 2 cup sizes too small--yikes (yes, feel free to laugh at what a dunce I am)! What a difference the right sized bra makes! 😅

So, you know what happened after the bra and undie (yes, undies too, since they matched the bras) purge, right?  I had to start over which was not cheap.  I was kicking myself for buying so many of the wrong sized bras and kept thinking about all the money invested in them.  So I am vowing to not get my new collection up to 20 again.  I think 6 is a good number.  

More confessions-- I have bought a lot these past few weeks:  Bras (which were necessary), undies, WEN, and Skinn.  I also bought some clothes but I am okay with those purchases because I hate clothes shopping and was long overdue for some things I actually needed and I took advantage of some great Columbus Day sales.  

I love over to read everyone's successes on this thread.  And the struggles assure me that I'm not alone.  

@just bee I loved your Balloon Festival pics!  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

Apparently @MacDUFF 's thread about curating her closet in Fashion (and, of course, this ongoing one) was just what I needed to inspire me to go through my closet and get rid of what I do not love as those items just don't get worn. I now have 2 large shopping bags stuffed and ready to go to Goodwill. It's nice to actually have a little room in my closet. 😄

I recently purged my bra/undie drawer after I had my first bra fitting (about 30 years late 😳) and discovered my bras were 2 cup sizes too small--yikes (yes, feel free to laugh at what a dunce I am)! What a difference the right sized bra makes! 😅

So, you know what happened after the bra and undie (yes, undies too, since they matched the bras) purge, right?  I had to start over which was not cheap.  I was kicking myself for buying so many of the wrong sized bras and kept thinking about all the money invested in them.  So I am vowing to not get my new collection up to 20 again.  I think 6 is a good number.  

More confessions-- I have bought a lot these past few weeks:  Bras (which were necessary), undies, WEN, and Skinn.  I also bought some clothes but I am okay with those purchases because I hate clothes shopping and was long overdue for some things I actually needed and I took advantage of some great Columbus Day sales.  

I love over to read everyone's successes on this thread.  And the struggles assure me that I'm not alone.  

@BExplorer

I just read that thread and it's familiar territory.  I recommend a trip to Fashion to review others' posts.

I went ahead and posted what I've always felt was the thing that kept me from the big purge:

The problem for many of us is that we continue to buy for lives we've never had and never will.  I think what's hard about parting with our collections is that we have to admit that these imaginary lives are just that.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer

I just read that thread and it's familiar territory.  I recommend a trip to Fashion to review others' posts.

I went ahead and posted what I've always felt was the thing that kept me from the big purge:

The problem for many of us is that we continue to buy for lives we've never had and never will.  I think what's hard about parting with our collections is that we have to admit that these imaginary lives are just that.

@just bee

No truer words.  I still buy clothes for a lifestyle I don’t live and cosmetics/skin care for a body I don’t have.

Then, when I don’t use them or they don’t change me into the person I have fantasized I am, I toss them out.  And I swear I’m never going to do that again.  But sure as shootin’, before long I’m on to another fantasy.

Oh to have the time, energy and money back that I have wasted on these fruitless pursuits.  

Pretty much sounds like like every other addict I’ve ever heard...😯

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer

@just bee

No truer words.  I still buy clothes for a lifestyle I don’t live and cosmetics/skin care for a body I don’t have.

Then, when I don’t use them or they don’t change me into the person I have fantasized I am, I toss them out.  And I swear I’m never going to do that again.  But sure as shootin’, before long I’m on to another fantasy.

Oh to have the time, energy and money back that I have wasted on these fruitless pursuits.  

@geezerette

Oh, but why does it take so freaking long for some of us to figure this out?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer

@just bee

@geezerette

Oh, but why does it take so freaking long for some of us to figure this out?

@just bee

I think I figured it out about forty years ago, but I still haven’t been able to stop doing it on a consistent basis.🤔🤗

Super Contributor

Another reason I've cut down on buying clothes etc is that the quality isn't there anymore.  It doesn't matter how much you spend.  After a few washes the clothes start to look old.

I did buy some Serious Skin Care peptide.  I sometimes use their Vit C & Ponds but I ran out of & I've been looking ragged lately so I decided to try something else.  

Trusted Contributor

I recently donated two sets of king size fleece sheets, because they take up too much space.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl

Fitness

LOL, that's ME!  Love that pose.

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

For Overdue October I'm finally going to try to get a house project done either this weekend or Monday. I wanted to get it done this summer but we never got to it. We have carpet on our basement stairs and it is not in very good shape. My big dog goes downstairs to drink, drinks too much too fast then stops on the landing on the steps and throws up. So the carpet is pretty trashed. It was just really cheap carpet to begin with so hubby is going to take it out and I'm going to just paint the stairs. It won't look as nice, but easier to clean up. We gotta go out today to get the paint and then we can start. I don't want to do it honestly, but I can't stand looking at it anymore.

I've been doing pretty well with beauty purchases and continuing to use things up. I'm mostly just buying replacements at this point and the majority of my stash is gone. I still have a few backups and products to use up but nothing like I used to. I know the next couple of months will be tougher because of all the pretty holiday items that come out. I might allow myself a couple of treats for the holidays because I've been so good all yearSmiley Happy

@rnmom We need to redo the flooring in our house too, but I'm scared to see what we will find once we pull up the carpet.  Wish it were all hardwood under there but I know it's mixed materials.  There's one stain in particular I will always remember.  My son was little and was not feeling well.  He made it to the top stair and puked.  There's a nice big stain there to this day.  That was one spot that was almost impossible for the carpet cleaner to reach.  It flowed down the step.Woman Sad