Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Appreciative April!

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Kabuki Cream

I certainly hope kabuki is making a comeback.  Just tried out that new BB cream.

I look like I have consumption.

@just bee

So, does that mean it's a 'yes' or a 'no'?

Speaking of returning things...

I was up at 2 AM with a headlamp, walking down the street to the mailbox to get this BB cream out of the cold and into the house.

I'm a patient soul.  I will wait before I decide it's c__p.  It smells good.  My skin is soft as velvet.  But it seems to be sucking every drop of moisture out of my face.  And I look like Casper.

Gotta give it a chance before I kick myself in the pants.

Oh, that rhymes.

You did say it was 35 degrees, maybe that has something to do with it.  As for the Casper look, just tell everyone it's a new trend, so new, in fact, that nobody's ever heard of it.  

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

That reminds me.  What are we calling May?

@just bee

"Meaningful May", was it?

Ah, now there's an idea.  What do people lack in life these days?

We had suggestions for Minimal May and Motivated/Motivation/Motivational May.

And now Meaningful May.

And just one day to decide!

Actually, I like Minimal or any of the Motivate derivatives.  Meaningful is too close to Mindful March, or whatever it was.

Your call.  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Kabuki Cream

I certainly hope kabuki is making a comeback.  Just tried out that new BB cream.

I look like I have consumption.

@just bee

So, does that mean it's a 'yes' or a 'no'?

Speaking of returning things...

I was up at 2 AM with a headlamp, walking down the street to the mailbox to get this BB cream out of the cold and into the house.

I'm a patient soul.  I will wait before I decide it's c__p.  It smells good.  My skin is soft as velvet.  But it seems to be sucking every drop of moisture out of my face.  And I look like Casper.

Gotta give it a chance before I kick myself in the pants.

Oh, that rhymes.

You did say it was 35 degrees, maybe that has something to do with it.  As for the Casper look, just tell everyone it's a new trend, so new, in fact, that nobody's ever heard of it.  

The stuff makes me look like my body temperature's 35 degrees.  I don't think I can pull off the Goth look.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee

Your thoughts very thought provoking and I'm right there withya.

But, aaaauuuuuuuuggggggggghhh! When did it get decided that everybody has to be alike?

If I do have things I don't want or need, why may I not donate or even toss them just because there are people who don't have them in the first place?

I have more than some, less than others. I have more of A than you do, and you have more of B than I do. My possessions are modest, yet I am happy to have them, and the point is, my having them does not take them away from anyone else. I don't buy it that life is a zero sum game. That whatever one has is depriving another of it. We live in an abundant universe. We each are respoonsible for our own lives. It is poverty consciousness on steroids to believe that what I have or don't have has anything at all to do with what anybody else has or doesn't have.

That said, I thoughtfully donate everything possible, in as good condition as I can put it (clean, working, repaired, bagged or otherwise tidy when I give it, etc.). I take work clothes to the shelter where women looking for word can get them, and furnishings to the Goodwill for rehab, etc. I do this because I respect the things I've used, and because I've bought things there myself when those were my choices, and because I want to. Never, never from guilt about what others have or do. Poeple might need my sweaters and teacups but nobody needs my guilt. Certainly not me!

This walks me down a narrow line at times. Am I being generous? Stingy? Caring? Judging others? Judging myself? (Squirrel cage...) But I know all that's a load of bushwah! I like having my stuff, and I like giving it away. But I don't feel for a single tiny moment that my life is made from the stuff I have collected. 

That said, your comment ["I just think it's odd that when we're ready to toss something we freeze and ask ourselves: 'Do I need this?'  But clearly we don't ask that question when we're buying it."] is truly brilliant. I have printed it out and will look at it often. We don't ask that in the moment. If we did, we probably wouldn't need to ask it later. Smiley Very Happy

Since I seldom "need" anything at all, I'm okay with adding, "Do I really, truly want to own it, or can I appreciate it without owning it?" That one works for me, if I remember it in the moment!

MIndful May coming up? Madcap May? Merry May? See you all there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD

Wait a minute… Madcap May?  Oh, the possibilities…

First of all, you say that something I said was brilliant.  Well, your post is just full of the stuff.  So many excellent points.

1. When did it get decided that everybody has to be alike?

Can we all just take a moment and say this aloud?  That was mandated when someone decided that being alike was “fair.”  Just think of the “fair” societies where everyone is “alike.”  They wear the same clothes, drive the same car, read the same newspaper, think the same thoughts.  In other words, our future.

2. My possessions are modest, yet I am happy to have them, and the point is, my having them does not take them away from anyone else.

But it’s not “fair” that you have something that someone else doesn’t have.  This concept always has me baffled.  We’re told that it’s not “fair” that Person A has more than Person B.  In the public schools, it’s not “fair” that Student A is smarter than Student B.  So what do we do?  We put both students in the same classroom to ensure their mediocrity. 

3. That whatever one has is depriving another of it. We live in an abundant universe. We each are responsible for our own lives.

Uh, you better just keep that one to yourself, little missy.  You just can’t be throwing the R-word around like that.  I mean, it sounds like you’re suggesting that individuals should be taking some kind of personal responsibility for themselves.  You’re probably one of those people that equates personal responsibility with freedom.  With liberty.  With the whole concept of having choices, options.  What kind of hater are you, anyway?

And this is where I have to occasionally examine my libertarian credentials.  On paper, libertarianism works because of personal responsibility.  One problem: It doesn’t exist anymore.  Oh, sure, there are a few people out there that are responsible, but they’re becoming extinct.  Soon there will be a special exhibit in zoos so people can see what this dying breed looks like.

4. I thoughtfully donate everything possible… I do this because I respect the things I've used, and because I've bought things there myself when those were my choices, and because I want to.

Whoa, hold on there.  What are all these trigger words here?  Thoughtful, respect, choice?  How dare you do something because you want to?  You should be donating because you have to.  And you’re probably not donating to the “right” organizations anyway.  Shame on you.

5. Never, never from guilt about what others have or do. People might need my sweaters and teacups but nobody needs my guilt. Certainly not me!

I think we just covered that.

6. This walks me down a narrow line at times. Am I being generous? Stingy? Caring? Judging others? Judging myself?

Easy one.  Of course you’re being judgmental.  If you’re breathing, you’re being judgmental.  Refer to 4 and 5 and review shame and guilt.

7. I like having my stuff, and I like giving it away. But I don't feel for a single tiny moment that my life is made from the stuff I have collected.

So what you’re really saying is that your stuff has no value.  So why are you pushing your junk off on other people?  Making assumptions about what’s good for other people, are you?  See 6.

8. Since I seldom "need" anything at all, I'm okay with adding, "Do I really, truly want to own it, or can I appreciate it without owning it?" That one works for me, if I remember it in the moment.

Wise words and an appropriate way to say goodbye to Appreciative April.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

"Appreciative April" is coming to a close.  And what do I appreciate?

Why, all of YOU who come here and share your lives with us!

Thank you...😘🙃

As many times as I have read "appreciative April" in this month's thread, as I glanced at this post, I saw "accumulative April" 😳 !  Must be my guilty conscience since I have been accumulating new (unneeded) skin care products. 😔

On a positive note, I have tossed many empties ths month and have also finally given myself permission to toss beauty products I hate, rather than forcing myself to use them up.  I never would have been able to to that without you ladies.  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Thank you...😘🙃

As many times as I have read "appreciative April" in this month's thread, as I glanced at this post, I saw "accumulative April" 😳 !  Must be my guilty conscience since I have been accumulating new (unneeded) skin care products. 😔

On a positive note, I have tossed many empties ths month and have also finally given myself permission to toss beauty products I hate, rather than forcing myself to use them up.  I never would have been able to to that without you ladies.  😊

Oh, good!  Maybe you can convince me to take this BB cream back to Costco.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Thank you...😘🙃

You can TAKE IT BACK??  Then, absolutely, do it!  Otherwise, it will become one more unwanted product hanging over your head...👻

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Thank you...😘🙃

You can TAKE IT BACK??  Then, absolutely, do it!  Otherwise, it will become one more unwanted product hanging over your head...👻

Well, that's my understanding.  I ordered it from Costco.com and they say you can return it either by mail or in person at the warehouse.  I'm leaning in that direction.

I want to give it a chance, but it's just not making a good first impression.  It actually might be appropriate for New Mexico.  The stuff looks and feels like stucco.

Contributor

@just bee you might want to try a sample of Dr Jart+ Ceramidin Day Tint Spf15.  They have it at Sephora.  It only comes in one shade, which is "Natural finish".   It is a tinted moisturizer but it gives good coverage without turning me orange.  It is pricey, but the tube lasts a really long time.