Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Appreciative April!

Hey, @just bee, I got rid of cable a couple of years ago, and it's amazing how little I miss it. I haven't turned my TV on in months--since I had a house guest who loves movies. Even then, we didn't watch any of the broadcast channels. I subscribe to Acorn.tv and netflix--a total of about $15 a month--and I get streaming from various  other sources, and there's always more than I have time to watch. We watch on the computer or I use  my tablet mostly.

I love it that when I don't show up in this space for a few weeks, you are still here. Sometimes I wait a week or so just to have a big amount to read. So, thanks, all.

I appreciate you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I also wanted to mention that I like Minimal May too! Whi...

@geezerette wrote:

I've been around.  Just not feeling very chatty lately, and about the only compacting I've been doing is in my mind.  So not much to write about.

I did manage to finish the big bottle of pure grace shampoo I've been using for hand washing.  It was with a small sense of accomplishment that I tossed that empty bottle in the trash.  Now I'm using purity for my hand wash.  I decided I need a new face cleanser and after using the purity on my hands and seeing how the cuticles are drying and my fingers cracking, I'm thinking I should have ditched it a long time ago.

Another thing I tossed was my original Clarisonic.  It finally gave up the ghost, but of course, I had a backup!  (The trouble with stuff is that you always need backup stuff.)  I'm going to try doing without the Clarisonic for a while to see if I can get by without one.  Not only do I want to minimize my gadgets, but those brushes are getting expensive.  I just don't want to mess with that stuff anymore.  I keep having dreams of watching my mother wash her face with a cheap bar of soap.  She didn't even use a moisturizer until late in life when they moved to the desert.  She had beautiful skin.

Ha, 2 things I used to use with devotion.  I was a die-hard fan of Purity Made Simple but started using cleansing oils as my skin started changing.  I have one tiny bottle left that I use to wash my brushes.

My DD is getting older and more concerned about her skin.  She has started using my Clarisonic.  I stopped using it a couple of years ago.  It was just too harsh and I would break out from it even after switching to the sensitive brush.  I'm glad she is getting some use out of it.  

Gah, I have so many gadgets sitting in the drawer.  Two hair dryers (the dog uses it more than I do), a flat iron, an InStyler (that really was a bust for me, I couldn't get the right rotation) and a curling iron.  Did I really use all those things back in the day?  I just wash and air dry my hair.

Trusted Contributor

@kathie66 I read about your accomplishment on the TGIF use it up thread.  Congratulations on finishing the powder in the Ambient Lighting compact!  I worked so hard on finishing mine that I was tempted to keep the empty palette.  But I came to my senses and tossed it.  I did take a picture of the empty pans first.  Woman Wink  

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad that I'm not tempted by all of the skin care and hair gadgets out there. I don't have any skin care gadgets at all, I'm too cheap and a little afraid that they will do more harm than good, and I got rid of all my hair care gadgets except for my blow dryer. I usually just air dry my hair too, or blow it dry til it's damp and pull it up. If I do decide to try to style it I just use my dryer and a hairbrush. I got rid of my hot rollers, curling irons, etc years ago and never purchased any of the newer items, thank goodness. 

Respected Contributor

Not sure what happened to me in the last day or so, but I am on a decluttering kick.  Ever since a poster mentioned you can donate gently used products, it got me thinking that I should put a box together and donate some stuff.  I was going to take this year and see how much I get through but no way will I even make a dent in my makeup or hair care, and other things.  So, I decided to donate - new, fairly new and gently used stuff of course. There are even things I only opened and swatched but never used.  I love the thought that others may get some use out of it. 

I went through my makeup this morning and pulled a lot of stuff but I still have too much, so I will take a second pass and see if I can let go of more.  I don't need all of this makeup. I simply won't use all of it and especially before it goes bad.  I didn't go through my mu brushes yet, but this will be tough so I am not expecting to part with much there, but you never know. I will take advantage of this burst of something.  

I put some skincare in the box too but I don't have much that I don't consider too old to donate even though it isn't old really.  Haircare is next in line.  There is only so much I can use. 

I am liking this exercise and am hoping I don't have a change of heart by the time I get the box out of my house. 

Using my makeup regularly these last couple of months and feeling like I look worse for wear as the day goes on is making me think, why bother.  Although, I think it is my concealer making my eyes look older so I may need to find a new one. 

Skincare - I am tired of always trying to use the older products before they go bad, meanwhile my newer stuff is getting old. It is a merry-go-round that never ends. So, no more until I either use or toss and then I am sticking to just a few items. 

Quite frankly, I think I am really reaching my end with managing all this stuff.  It causes me too much anxiety and too much energy.  

I feel like I am starting to go on a bit of a rant so I will stop here.  I am feeling a little disgusted.  

Happy Easter to those that celebrate.  

Valued Contributor

Aprilskies, I can so relate to all the anxiety all this stuff causes.  I, too, have donated a lot, but still have plenty.  I have been selling some of it on ebay, so that has been kind of exciting.  I still have a lot on the chopping block, but fear that, if it was gone, I would be ready to buy more.  I am enjoying what I have and, if I don't, I can part with it.  I don't worry about using too much of the product anymore.  I have a lot of samples that I have decided will be great to take on vacation.  The word auto-delivery makes me crazy.  Happy Easter to all. 

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Not sure what happened to me in the last day or so, but I am on a decluttering kick.  Ever since a poster mentioned you can donate gently used products, it got me thinking that I should put a box together and donate some stuff.  I was going to take this year and see how much I get through but no way will I even make a dent in my makeup or hair care, and other things.  So, I decided to donate - new, fairly new and gently used stuff of course. There are even things I only opened and swatched but never used.  I love the thought that others may get some use out of it. 

I went through my makeup this morning and pulled a lot of stuff but I still have too much, so I will take a second pass and see if I can let go of more.  I don't need all of this makeup. I simply won't use all of it and especially before it goes bad.  I didn't go through my mu brushes yet, but this will be tough so I am not expecting to part with much there, but you never know. I will take advantage of this burst of something.  

I put some skincare in the box too but I don't have much that I don't consider too old to donate even though it isn't old really.  Haircare is next in line.  There is only so much I can use. 

I am liking this exercise and am hoping I don't have a change of heart by the time I get the box out of my house. 

Using my makeup regularly these last couple of months and feeling like I look worse for wear as the day goes on is making me think, why bother.  Although, I think it is my concealer making my eyes look older so I may need to find a new one. 

Skincare - I am tired of always trying to use the older products before they go bad, meanwhile my newer stuff is getting old. It is a merry-go-round that never ends. So, no more until I either use or toss and then I am sticking to just a few items. 

Quite frankly, I think I am really reaching my end with managing all this stuff.  It causes me too much anxiety and too much energy.  

I feel like I am starting to go on a bit of a rant so I will stop here.  I am feeling a little disgusted.  

Happy Easter to those that celebrate.  

@aprilskies I love when I get into those decluttering moods.  It's a breath of fresh air to clear things out in a moment of clarity. Take advantage of it while it lasts.  And in hind sight, I have never regretted or missed anything I got rid of.  

Speaking of using up old skincare, I watch Gothamista's Drunk Elephant reviews and it turns out that my never-ending bottle of C-Firma is past it's useful life.  I guess it still oxidizes even in an airtight package.  It's not doing much on my face so I'm just going to use the rest of it up mixed in with my body lotion.  I'm using the new bottle on my face before it goes bad too.

My concealer was looking cakey and dry too so I started to mix a tiny bit of my face oil with it.  It really thins out the concealer but looks SO much better.  I can even set it with powder and it doesn't look cakey.

Confession time, the Sephora sale is coming up and I was planning to buy another tiny eyeshadow palette.  Coming back to this thread has killed that plan.  I actually want to stop using eyeshadow so why would I buy another palette???  So crazy!  The only things I need are SPF and body wash.  And a Clarisonic brush head since DD is using the one I stopped using 2 years ago.  That can't be too hygenic...  Glad I got that out of my system before I acted on it.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

Happy Easter

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Happy Easter

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Happy Easter