Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Appreciative April!

@aprilskies

I hear ya!  I don't understand all the steps and all the layering of products, either.

That's why I abandoned foundation and started using a CC cream.  To me, it's an all-in-one product and by using it I'm eliminating steps and other products.

Yet you read reviews and, for some, CC cream is just another step, another layer.  Women continue to put stuff on their faces before they apply the CC cream, and then they pile on a foundation and powder.  What's that about?

Is it really necessary to cover every "imperfection?"

That's why I like CC cream.  The coverage is heavy enough to make it look like I didn't just roll out of bed, but light enough so it doesn't look like I skipped sleep and tea so I could spend two hours in the bathroom prepping myself for the world.

Is it us?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Re: I also wanted to mention that I like Minimal May too! Whi...

Motivated May - I like that a lot.  I am trying to ramp up motivation in April, while still appreciating it Woman LOL, so hopefully when May rolls around, I will be raring to go. 

I am working on setting up some summer fun so hopefully all goes well.  I would really like to spend more time outside this spring and summer.Summer is always tough with the humidity but, we will see how it goes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

I hear ya!  I don't understand all the steps and all the layering of products, either.

That's why I abandoned foundation and started using a CC cream.  To me, it's an all-in-one product and by using it I'm eliminating steps and other products.

Yet you read reviews and, for some, CC cream is just another step, another layer.  Women continue to put stuff on their faces before they apply the CC cream, and then they pile on a foundation and powder.  What's that about?

Is it really necessary to cover every "imperfection?"

That's why I like CC cream.  The coverage is heavy enough to make it look like I didn't just roll out of bed, but light enough so it doesn't look like I skipped sleep and tea so I could spend two hours in the bathroom prepping myself for the world.

Is it us?

LOL, I think it is us.  I dont understand all the layering and I dont want to layer all of it either. That is what makes it hard to get through all my products. There is only so much I am willing to put on in a day. I have gotten use to using serums though and dont mind using one. 

Although, once I am through them, I may or may not repurchase immediately to regroup and give my skin a break from it all.

I do want a bb/cc cream and preferably with spf so I dont have to buy a separate product. Too bad, I was ready to try Lumene and see you posted about it being discontinued or revamped. That is so disappointing.  So, the hunt begins.

Edited to say - I too dont understand those that use a cc cream and then layer on foundation and whatnot either.  It just starts to look like a mask.  One of the reasons, I dont really like foundation.  I havent found one I really like, although, I am considering buying one and adding a drop or two to my moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never worn a lot of makeup, but I've always hated foundation.  Don't like the look or feel of it.  I have lousy skin, but trying to cover it all up has always made it look worse, in my opinion.  And most times, it just made me break out even more than usual.  Now that I'm older, I wear even less makeup.  I do use a light smattering of Bare Minerals original powder when I go out, but even then I really don't like it.  

I use a tinted moisturizer/SPF that does provide a minimal amount of coverage, and sometimes I just put a bit of concealer on the really bad spots and let it go at that.  As time goes on, I do that more often, just because I'm getting to the point where so many things don't matter to me anymore.  And I just don't want to expend the energy or time to hide myself.

Valued Contributor

I must say, I am so appeciative of DH who does not nag about the stash.  I was so excited this morning to realize that I had sold something on ebay.  DH wanted to know what else I could part with.  I am not sure I can or are ready to part with anything else.  I can't imagine that anyone has a bigger stash than I do.  There is definitely something off when you are upset when an item lasts so long.  One day at a time...

Valued Contributor

My mother, too, was a bar of soap lady with beautiful skin.  I treated her once with a MK set and she ended up giving it back to me, preferring a more simple routine.  She always had beautiful skin, but complained that the MK gave her some breakouts.  Why did I think I knew better?  Striving to be more like mom.

Respected Contributor

Geezerette, I have never used much makeup either and then midlife, qvc, and the discovery of these boards aligned.  Then it wasn't even that I was using much, I was just buying and tucking it in a drawer. I had good intentions - that never materialized. It takes time to use the stuff.  I do like the ritual of applying it in the morning when I do take the time, but, If I didn't have it, not sure I would miss it. So, isn't that a puzzler. 

I received my recent eyeshadow palette and I had to sent it back.  It was damaged. I was disappointed at first.  I hate returning things and try not to do that but I was secretly thrilled.  It was a regret purchase and eyeshadow is the last thing I need. So, I failed with temptation but at least I am back on the path of no eyeshadow this year. 

SillyIrishGirl - isn't it funny how we are attached to our stashes?  Sounds like you enjoy it. No harm in that.  

I am back to pan that palette.  I am taking my oldest palette and just using the colors I know I will use and getting some use of it.  Just seeing how many I can hit pan on.  I am considering tossing it this year and I would feel better if I know I at least used it some. 

Have a a nice day everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Geezerette, I have never used much makeup either and then midlife, qvc, and the discovery of these boards aligned.  Then it wasn't even that I was using much, I was just buying and tucking it in a drawer. I had good intentions - that never materialized. It takes time to use the stuff.  I do like the ritual of applying it in the morning when I do take the time, but, If I didn't have it, not sure I would miss it. So, isn't that a puzzler. 

I received my recent eyeshadow palette and I had to sent it back.  It was damaged. I was disappointed at first.  I hate returning things and try not to do that but I was secretly thrilled.  It was a regret purchase and eyeshadow is the last thing I need. So, I failed with temptation but at least I am back on the path of no eyeshadow this year. 

SillyIrishGirl - isn't it funny how we are attached to our stashes?  Sounds like you enjoy it. No harm in that.  

I am back to pan that palette.  I am taking my oldest palette and just using the colors I know I will use and getting some use of it.  Just seeing how many I can hit pan on.  I am considering tossing it this year and I would feel better if I know I at least used it some. 

Don't you feel like you've gotten a reprieve when that happens?  That's happened to me a few times, and I always feel relieved.  It's even better when there's a glitch on the company's side and it never ships to begin with!  

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Don't you feel like you've gotten a reprieve when that happens?  That's happened to me a few times, and I always feel relieved.  It's even better when there's a glitch on the company's side and it never ships to begin with!  

Yes, very relieved, G.  That was a save. 😄  And a good reminder of my goal this year.  

Trusted Contributor

Good reminder, @just bee! Although I wear mascara about once a month, and refuse to follow the 3 month rule for discarding. Meanwhile, it's a good time to check the filters in your water pitcher, coffee pot, rand efrigerator deodorizer, too. 

I seem to have bought a lot of things over the past six months. And eaten a lot of stuff over the last three months. Neither my closet nor my body appreciate the adfditions. Oh, yes, I do love clothes and food, I really do. However (comma) it's time to reconsider.

I have not overbought beauty or household products, though I admit to a kitchen gadget here and there. QVC makes it easy by selling things in twos--if I give one away and keep the other, it justifies the purchase. Phooey!

Tax day Tuesday! Mine are done at last. I just have to find a blank check...

Here's to an energetic and upbeat end to April, and a new course for the rest of the year!