Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

So I've actually been doing really well so far this year, only a couple of small purchases including an eye cream, some flavored lip balms, one body spray, replacement shower gels for my kids and hubby because they were down to their last ones. And then I watched the Skinn show yesterday and couldn't resist the TTV. 

I've been battling melasma since I had my second son, he'll be 8 this summer. What was a pregnancy mask never went away. I've tried more products than I can count to try to lighten it and nothing has worked. I used to have very nice skin and now I'm embarrassed to go out in public without makeup on. The melasma bothers me so much more than any lines or wrinkles that I have. So, when he said his ingredients were 4x more effective than hydroquinone I caved. I don't know if these products will work any miracles or not, nothing else has, but when a girl is desperate you know, she'll try about anything. So that is my big purchase so far for this year. 

None of these purchases sound frivolous.  All sound like necessities, and the Skinn stuff is an investment.  You won't know if it's a solution unless you try it, right?  There are necessities -- staples -- and there are investments.  Some of these overlap.  But these are the things we need.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

We're approaching the halfway point: How are you doing in March?

I'm looking at a lot of expense this month what with the yard project, registering for seminars, and some car maintenance.  But every time I go outside and look at the plants, I get such a boost.  I could have spent that money on a vacation or spa treatments but I doubt I'd be getting the same feeling.  I feel as transformed as the trees.  I feel lighter.  Energized.  Ready to blossom.

I should prune more often.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Hi All,

I have been doing HORRIBLE on the compacting last month and this month. Finished up my last handsoap. I haven't bought handsoap for so long, and what did I do? Bought not 1 but 2 bottles. I bought the set of Amazing Grace 20th edition handsoap and lotion. And I bought a Fresh Cream set. I rationalized it by saying I will refill the cute bottles with things from stash when they are done. At least all my other backups of handsoap are gone. I guess those too bottles are my reward for finishing up the stash. Geez whats wrong with me this month? I'm chalking it up to spring fever.

My real problem has been makeup I have bought 2 palettes this month. The Gwen Stefani UD one and Mac Nordstrom Edition Palette. I really like both of them. I'm going thru my makeup and giving away at least 4 other palettes. I have more eyeshadow palettes than I need. Last month I bought 2 Camp Cosmetics palettes. Love them too. But I need to stop this. I haven't had this much of a set back in such a short time span in a while.

I just have to dust myself off and get back on the wagon. No more handsoap for me, till my shower gel stash is down. And boy is it SLOW going with just trying to use supersize bottles.

Hope you all are having a better month. I am going to work on turning around my behavior for the second half.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

Hi All,

I have been doing HORRIBLE on the compacting last month and this month. Finished up my last handsoap. I haven't bought handsoap for so long, and what did I do? Bought not 1 but 2 bottles. I bought the set of Amazing Grace 20th edition handsoap and lotion. And I bought a Fresh Cream set. I rationalized it by saying I will refill the cute bottles with things from stash when they are done. At least all my other backups of handsoap are gone. I guess those too bottles are my reward for finishing up the stash. Geez whats wrong with me this month? I'm chalking it up to spring fever.

My real problem has been makeup I have bought 2 palettes this month. The Gwen Stefani UD one and Mac Nordstrom Edition Palette. I really like both of them. I'm going thru my makeup and giving away at least 4 other palettes. I have more eyeshadow palettes than I need. Last month I bought 2 Camp Cosmetics palettes. Love them too. But I need to stop this. I haven't had this much of a set back in such a short time span in a while.

I just have to dust myself off and get back on the wagon. No more handsoap for me, till my shower gel stash is down. And boy is it SLOW going with just trying to use supersize bottles.

Hope you all are having a better month. I am going to work on turning around my behavior for the second half.

Coming out of winter hibernation and starting over in spring always presents the temptation to shop.  Anything else contributing to this?

I find myself browsing, then just saying no.  Walgreens is having a big Lumene sale and I started to order something -- and then I realized I just don't need CC cream or that BB serum because I still have three unopened packages in the closet.  I can wait for the next sale.

I've made great progress on my ancient supersize bananas foster.  I've kept a 16-ounce bottle at the kitchen sink and there's only a smidge left in the big bottle in the shower.  Using the shower gels as handsoap has helped so much.  The goal is still the same: Use everything up and never buy these again.  Why did I ever think I had to have a shower gel in every scent?

I was still annoyed at myself for buying a huge bottle of fresh cream spritz last June.  I was so disappointed -- I didn't like the scent.  Then I poured half the bottle into an old pure grace spritz bottle and ended up emptying another pure grace bottle into the fresh cream accidentally.  What a blunder.  So much for reusing old containers.  But this week I started forcing myself to use that fresh cream and it actually smells better than it did last year.  I don't think I'll buy it again though.  And that's when I also picked up a bottle of good morning sunshine.  Still not sure what to do with that.  I know myself well enough: I just need to stick with pure grace spritz.

Why do we continue to complicate our lives with these weird experiments?

Trusted Contributor

Hey, everyone!  I cannot believe March is half over, and spring has arrived early.  This month, I am going to dig up a row of old boxwoods and replace them with a variety of plants to update the yard.  My husband sprayed the yard for weeds two weeks ago.  I asked him why he used Roundup because that kills grass, too.  He assured me that we did not have to worry because our grass was still dormant and would wake up.  Well, I do believe the grass is dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  I have added "plant grass" to my list.

Ulta's 21 days of beauty has started.  They had IT Bye Bye Pores Finishing Powder for $12, so I picked up two.  This is my go-to powder.  I also bought CeraVe eye cream and CeraVe SA cleanser.  And I found two Eco Tools brushes that I liked a lot on sale.  They are stippling brushes.  One is for bronzers/highlighters, and the other is for contouring.  I am using the contouring brush for blush and have thrown out my old brush.  I have found that I really like stippling brushes because they do not deposit too much blush, powder, or foundation.  The eye cream purchase is necessary because I ran out of eye cream this morning.  The CeraVe eye cream is supposed to help lighten dark circles.  This is my main reason for using an eye cream.  Those pesky circles.  Otherwise, I would just use my regular moisturizer under my eyes.  Since CeraVe was on sale (BOGO 50% off), I bought the SA cleanser.  This is supposed to exfoliate without beads or grains.  We'll see.

After I picked up what I wanted, I walked around Ulta.  They had some new things that really tempted me, including a new brand that I am not familiar with - Fiona Stiles.  I managed to get out without blowing my budget.

Last month, I told you that I bought some Sigrid Olsen ankle pants from HSN.  Well, they did not fit.  Oh, pooh!!  I was really disappointed because the quality was outstanding.  Also, after thinking about it, I ordered Isaac's 24/7 TSV pant.  I was not sure of my size, so I ordered two sizes.  Because I delayed, one is on waitlist.  I received the other size, and guess what?  It did not fit.  I think the pair on waitlist will fit.  Because I used easy pay, I was reimbursed a whopping 24 cents after the shipping costs were deducted.  I lost quite a bit in shipping when I returned the other pants to HSN.  Will I ever learn?

I have been watching the barn owls and eagles.  Those eaglets are growing fast.  I also figured out something.  After the barn owlets left the nest last year, the box was cleaned out.  I have been waiting and waiting for Dottie and Dash to prepare the box for the new family.  Now I know that they are.  They are shredding their pellets to use as nesting material.  Can you imagine how bad that box smells!?  Cough cough!!

Finally, I have some very exciting news!!  My son has been accepted to the U of S Carolina, Clemson, Presbyterian College, and Furman University.  Furman said no during the early decision process but accepted DS during general admission.  Furman did not give DS enough scholarship money to make Furman possible.  It is now $59,000 per year.  Last week, we received a letter from PC, and they increased the scholarship and grant money making PC the likely choice.  DS wasn't super excited.  We did not know what we were going to do.  Then, guess what happened?  Furman increased their offer.  They are giving DS two scholarships and two grants!!!!!!!!!!!  We can afford Furman!!  Yay!!!!!!!  Everyone is happy!!!  This is DS's first choice.  I am so happy for him!

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

dosey-I'm so glad that everything is working out for your son, how exciting for you all! My sons are 7 and 10, I can't imagine trying to pay for all their college, I hope they'll be able to get some scholarships someday too! 

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Hey, everyone!  I cannot believe March is half over, and spring has arrived early.  This month, I am going to dig up a row of old boxwoods and replace them with a variety of plants to update the yard.  My husband sprayed the yard for weeds two weeks ago.  I asked him why he used Roundup because that kills grass, too.  He assured me that we did not have to worry because our grass was still dormant and would wake up.  Well, I do believe the grass is dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  I have added "plant grass" to my list.

Ulta's 21 days of beauty has started.  They had IT Bye Bye Pores Finishing Powder for $12, so I picked up two.  This is my go-to powder.  I also bought CeraVe eye cream and CeraVe SA cleanser.  And I found two Eco Tools brushes that I liked a lot on sale.  They are stippling brushes.  One is for bronzers/highlighters, and the other is for contouring.  I am using the contouring brush for blush and have thrown out my old brush.  I have found that I really like stippling brushes because they do not deposit too much blush, powder, or foundation.  The eye cream purchase is necessary because I ran out of eye cream this morning.  The CeraVe eye cream is supposed to help lighten dark circles.  This is my main reason for using an eye cream.  Those pesky circles.  Otherwise, I would just use my regular moisturizer under my eyes.  Since CeraVe was on sale (BOGO 50% off), I bought the SA cleanser.  This is supposed to exfoliate without beads or grains.  We'll see.

After I picked up what I wanted, I walked around Ulta.  They had some new things that really tempted me, including a new brand that I am not familiar with - Fiona Stiles.  I managed to get out without blowing my budget.

Last month, I told you that I bought some Sigrid Olsen ankle pants from HSN.  Well, they did not fit.  Oh, pooh!!  I was really disappointed because the quality was outstanding.  Also, after thinking about it, I ordered Isaac's 24/7 TSV pant.  I was not sure of my size, so I ordered two sizes.  Because I delayed, one is on waitlist.  I received the other size, and guess what?  It did not fit.  I think the pair on waitlist will fit.  Because I used easy pay, I was reimbursed a whopping 24 cents after the shipping costs were deducted.  I lost quite a bit in shipping when I returned the other pants to HSN.  Will I ever learn?

I have been watching the barn owls and eagles.  Those eaglets are growing fast.  I also figured out something.  After the barn owlets left the nest last year, the box was cleaned out.  I have been waiting and waiting for Dottie and Dash to prepare the box for the new family.  Now I know that they are.  They are shredding their pellets to use as nesting material.  Can you imagine how bad that box smells!?  Cough cough!!

Finally, I have some very exciting news!!  My son has been accepted to the U of S Carolina, Clemson, Presbyterian College, and Furman University.  Furman said no during the early decision process but accepted DS during general admission.  Furman did not give DS enough scholarship money to make Furman possible.  It is now $59,000 per year.  Last week, we received a letter from PC, and they increased the scholarship and grant money making PC the likely choice.  DS wasn't super excited.  We did not know what we were going to do.  Then, guess what happened?  Furman increased their offer.  They are giving DS two scholarships and two grants!!!!!!!!!!!  We can afford Furman!!  Yay!!!!!!!  Everyone is happy!!!  This is DS's first choice.  I am so happy for him!

I'm watering my boxwood right now and you've taken yours out.  What will you plant?

I've been watching the barn owls and the psych residents at work are slowly becoming addicted.  Used to be their eyes would glaze over as I explained that Casper has flown the coop and that Dottie might not be Dottie and Dash could be a girl.  But once they see rats disappear in one gulp, their interest is renewed.  Have you seen the size of the great horned owlets?  YUGE!

Fantastic news about the kid and Furman!  Go Paladins!  (Might want to remind him about the First Amendment before he goes off to school.)

Trusted Contributor

The boxwoods have to be removed because two are dead, and the rest are at least half dead.  Grub worms got to them late last summer.  We killed the worms but were not able to save the boxwoods.  They are 27 years old, and I am ready for a small update.  I am not sure what I will plant, but I know it will not be a row of one type of plant.  The area is large enough for two rows of plants.  I might choose two or three different things and stagger them instead of lining them up.  Now that half of the lawn is dead, this landscaping project is my priority for April.  As you can imagine, my home's curb appeal is very, very sad.

I have added the Great Horned Owls to my favorites.  Also, are you watching the Barred Owls?  I can't wait for the eggs to hatch!  The camera angle is awful, but they are still fun.

My product usage is going strong.  I finished a few products - 1. plain lip balm that I keep on my bedside table, 2. Clinique's DDML that I received in a bonus kit at least a year ago (used it on my hands, arms, elbows, and feet at night), 3. Isomers Vitamin C eye cream (okay - no repurchase), and 4. a leave-in conditioner that was too heavy for day use so I used it at night.  I have another leave-in conditioner that I am now using at night, as well.  It is 2/3 empty because I used it every now and then when my hair was long.  I am giving myself a pat on the back for using an Isomers serum and lotion all winter.  They are extra moisturizing, and I have stuck with them instead of giving up and trying something else.  The moisturizer is nearly empty, and the serum has enough for a few weeks.  I have a bit of Isomers VItamin C lotion (which I love).  I'll finish that up next.  Then, I will use an Obagi moisturizer that I bought for the kids last year.  They never use it, so I will.

I forgot about another purchase I made.  I bought M2 Body Refinish 15% from Skincarerx.  It was recommended on this board and is supposed to remove spots.  There was a sale, too.  Oh my gosh!  This stuff smells awful!!  Worse than awful.  I cannot describe the smell.  I applied it for the first time at night.  The "scent" dissipated but not completely.  I wanted to apply it in the morning and wear it for 24 hours.  No way will I do that.  Instead, I'll apply dots of it in the morning and more on the legs and arms just two or three nights per week.

Time to prepare dinner.  This is no easy task.  My son will not eat pork because he says pigs are cute and smarter than dogs.  (One day, he will have a pet pig.)  He doesn't like chicken and isn't crazy about fish.  He does like shrimp.  Beef is DS's preference.  My husband has decided that he wants to eat mainly chicken and fish, and limit beef.  DD announced about three weeks ago that she is a vegetarian.  And I do not eat pork (to make my son happy).  Monday-Friday, I pass at least one tractor trailer loaded with chickens in cages on the way to their doom.  Sometimes, I pass a tractor trailer loaded with empty cages going in other direction.  I just can't eat chicken anymore.  It isn't that good anyway.  Beef and fish are fine, but I am starting to feel bad for cows and fish.  My husband is in Canada, so the kids and I are having vegetable sushi, broccoli, and salad.  Done.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

dosey-I'm so glad that everything is working out for your son, how exciting for you all! My sons are 7 and 10, I can't imagine trying to pay for all their college, I hope they'll be able to get some scholarships someday too! 

It is not too soon to start thinking about it.  Save what money you can because it will help, especially starting at ages 7 and 10.  Also, several people in the education system (high school and college) told me that schools want kids who are well-rounded.  Have your kids try different activities now to see what they like and will want to continue as they grow.  This is what we have done with our kids.  My son is an A/B student who focuses on a few activities.  However, on his college applications, he included everything he ever participated in because it showed the path he took to become the person he is today.  He is also a thoughtful kid who is respectful and responsible. Two of his teachers wrote the most beautiful letters of recommendation.  I will treasure them always.  While the straight A students and super athletes still get great scholarships, it is nice to know that kids who really try and have talents in other areas can also do well.

My final words - don't stress out.  I did.  I was super stressed and for no reason.  It all worked out.  Smiley Happy

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

Dosey, congrats to you son.  He must be so excited. He sounds like a great young man.