Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- September

[ Edited ]

I just walked to the garage and threw away the two large boxes that I was saving for "what if".  Termites.  Yuck!

Still no beauty purchases this month.  Yay!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

So I picked up DD from school and ran a couple of errands.  When I pulled into the driveway, my eyes went to the big HSN box on my porch.  I didn't order anything from HSN (or anyone else).  Then, I noticed several "Hello. My name is _____________." stickers on the box and my MIL's handwriting.  Another package addressed to me.  Inside was a figurine/statue.  It is about 18" tall, so I do not know if it qualifies as a statue.  It is almost identical to this.

Kuan Yin, Chinese Goddess of Mercy Porcelain Statue Guanyin Guan

Initially, I thought that this wasn't as bad as the other things.  Then, I saw where the statue had been broken into two pieces and glued back together.  The glue is visible and is more paste-like.  I tried chipping some of it off, but it wouldn't budge.  DS and DD think it is horrible and worse than the other things.  I don't think it is horrible and might have been able to display it in some way - maybe grouped with a tall lamp, a plant, etc.  I can't think of what the word is for that, but I bet you know what I mean.  Because of the crack, I am inclined to box it up until MIL visits.  To me, once something breaks, it has served its usefulness and should be discarded.

I am trying to keep a gracious attitude, but the last few days haven't been all that great and have been very busy, too.  The stress is terrible.  My head is pounding, and my neck, shoulders, and back hurt.  I have to leave in a few minutes but will have the rest of the evening to relax when I get home.  So I think I will call my MIL tomorrow and thank her for the gift.  Hopefully, I'll get a good night's sleep and feel better.

Paws and enjoy life.
Contributor

Dosey, just tell her it arrived broken so you had to throw it out!
Trusted Contributor

Dosey - Is there a way to call her and thank her for the items and then mention again how you're trying to declutter? See if she could take a subtle hint? I fear that she will just unload the entire stash on you so you can then stress about all of HER stuff overwhelming you.
Trusted Contributor

I was thisssssssss close to buying some beauty items last night on QVC just because they had a random multiple easy pays deals applied to everything. I had 3 items in my cart. HOWEVER!!! I did fight thru the urge, deleted from my cart and closed down my computer then went to bed. No purchase was made. Tiny victory! None of the items were things I actually needed. They were things I wanted to try out since they had great reviews. Yesterday I had a ****** day at work...I think I was looking online shopping for a pick-me-up? retail therapy.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, Bunny and Joy, but I already called my MIL and got the conversation over with.  I was gracious and thanked her for the statue/figurine.  I am trying very hard not to let this bother me.

Still no beauty purchases this month.  I am going to have to replace my curling iron because the tape on the plastic thing that I press to open the iron comes loose causing me to lose my grip on the iron.  I will wait until October.

I have a few empties to report.  A makeup remover, a face cream that I demoted to my neck, and a neck cream that I demoted to my feet.  Yay!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:
I was thisssssssss close to buying some beauty items last night on QVC just because they had a random multiple easy pays deals applied to everything. I had 3 items in my cart. HOWEVER!!! I did fight thru the urge, deleted from my cart and closed down my computer then went to bed. No purchase was made. Tiny victory! None of the items were things I actually needed. They were things I wanted to try out since they had great reviews. Yesterday I had a ****** day at work...I think I was looking online shopping for a pick-me-up? retail therapy.

Great job!  You had a triple threat going against you (1. easy pay, 2. bad day, and 3. an outstanding sales person convincing you to give her your money), and you prevailed!!!

I made a purchase today, but it is not beauty related.  I am on waitlist for a pair of the Vince Camuto suede boots in moonstone.  I love the color.  It is the TS on HSN.  Updating my fall/winter footwear is on my list for this year.

Paws and enjoy life.
Regular Contributor

Another reason to get rid of cardboard: bedbugs. They love the stuff.

Trusted Contributor

@DL2843 wrote:

We used to have cardboard boxes in our attic for things like holiday decorations, camping equipment, etc.  I replaced them with plastic containers a few years ago.  So happy I made that investment.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@DL2843 wrote:

We used to have cardboard boxes in our attic for things like holiday decorations, camping equipment, etc.  I replaced them with plastic containers a few years ago.  So happy I made that investment.

Me too, I changed over to plastic containers years ago. However, I do have a couple of medium sized cardboard boxes that I am keeping things in but only because I dont want to add more containers. I have so many.  Although, I may need to.  In another attempt to do something with my collecibles, I called a collector type of consignment place and they virtually said the types of things I have are virtually worthless but they were willing to take a look a my list and let me know.  Well, I  would have to put that together and at this point I put things away and will not be taking them out.  I am not quite ready to pull that bandaid so I will keep them for now.