Honored Contributor

Flat Irons - questions about type and products to use

I have not used a flat iron on my hair in eons.  I don't think I even remember how!  

I saw one the other day that had a very large plate on it and was thinking I might like to try it.  Do these go quicker in your hair, if you have a lot of hair to do?  I mean, as opposed to the really thin and smaller ones?

Also, I don't wash my hair every day as it tends to get very dry.  I usually wash like every 3rd day.  Is it necessary to use a product on hair before flat ironing?  

Is there a type of plate on certain flat irons that is better for your hair?

I need advice --- Flat Ironing 101!

Thanks so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Flat Irons - questions about type and products to use

There are all kinds of flat irons. The flat plate type are mainly for taking frizz out of hair and creating a smooth, shiny finish. The wider ones just go faster, but the thinner (1") give you more control and you can do some flips at the ends of the hair.

There are also now "flat irons" that volumize: I bought one (TS from HSN) and it crimps the hair under a top layer--pin back a top layer and apply the iron to the root area and it puffs up the hair.) It REALLY works.

The cheaper irons can snag your hair--I had some sent to test for a review I was writing, and by far, the ones that cost a bit more are smoother and have features like heat adjustment so you can tailor the heat and not damage your hair. 

The best cheap one I found was by HSI

The best "top end" one I found was an ultrathin one from Babyliss

If you have slightly curly hair, frizzy hair, hair that gets unruly in humid weather, or you like that flat, shiny look, these work very well. 

Respected Contributor

Love my Chi.  It smooths my hair and gives me a lift at the crown.  So used to it now, I can't fix my hair without it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I honestly can say in my experience, I'd steer clear of a cheap flat iron.  Maybe it's just me but I spent money 3 times on cheap ones and could have taken that money and bought a good one.

I have thin, fine hair and many of the cheapies don't snap down tight enough so my hair slides right back through.  I've had a cheapy one snag my hair.  I actually also had a good one snag my hair.

I ended up buying an FHI hears ago from my salon and paid $180.00 for it.  This was way back when flat iron were starting to become popular.  Now IMO there is no reason to spend that kind of money.  But I will say, I still have it and use it on an almost daily basis. 

For me, the most important thing to is to make sure it has heat settings on it.  I bought one from TJMaxx that does a nice job on my hair but it fries the ends around my face because you can't set the heat.  I also prefer the irons that have the rounded edge not the flat edge. The ones that have a rounded edge are more versatile.  I curl my hair, straighten it, flip it up, etc.

Respected Contributor

get an iron that has a digital temperature gauge and has ceramic floating plates (they tilt side to side)

i use a Paul Mitchell thermal spray i spray on a vent brush and then brush lightly before ironing.

i don't know your hair type but mine fine and colortreated but frizzy. i was setting the iron at 200 and going over the hair sections several times.  dried out my ends.

DON'T do that!   my stylist said to set it  a bit higher and just do one pass on a small section then on to the next small section.

Trusted Contributor

I would check out Folica.com.  I bought my flat iron there and it was reasonable and I've had it for a while now.  I have a HAI and a SOLIS.  Nothing to lose by looking - reviews I think are also posted.  Definitely get ceramic.  I have long thick blonde color treated hair that gets very frizzy.  I only use the iron once a week and it holds till next time.  I usually put a little oil or serum on after I blow dry and before I iron.  

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl

Your hair sounds just like mine!  Than you for your suggestions. I am concerned about drying my hair out more.  My hair is frizzy, frizzy, frizzy -- no matter what I do or use -- so that is a big reason I want to try flat ironing -- to maybe get a smoother look. 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline

I have very thick, coarse, slightly wavy hair.  

I appreciate your tips about setting the iron higher and trying to do just one pass!

I know nothing about how to do this --- so I appreciate every bit of help!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

I cannot spend that much on an iron!  But I do agree about not getting a super cheap one either.  I did look around some yesterday, but just to get a cursory idea of what is available.  I had no idea that there are so many sizes, shapes, designs, and prices!  I like your idea about getting one with a rounded edge.  

Honored Contributor

@MomCat

I have heard a lot of good things about this brand.  Don't know if this one is in my budget though!!!!