Regular Contributor
Also the wallet/purse issue. When I was younger if my wallet could not fit into my jeans I would not buy it. Then came all these loyalty cards and for at least 10 years I have carried a full size wallet. I do not want to get rid of the cards. They do save me money on things I routinely buy. So now I have to carry a purse that is big enough for the wallet. My sunglasses (which are expensive prescriptions) are in a huge case. That also means a bigger purse. How do the rest of you deal with these issues?
Trusted Contributor

DL2843 - I carry a card case just for my loyalty cards, I do not carry them in my wallet. I like a smaller wallet and by putting the loyalty cards in a card case, I can carry the smaller wallet. I now have to wear reading glasses so I have to carry them, so I just carry a larger bag, but try not fill the bag up with "just in case" items.

I am also trying to find a way to carry a smaller purse (my shoulder would thank me for that), but I do use everything I carry, so I will carry a larger bag and try not to fill it.

Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 DL2843 said: Also the wallet/purse issue. When I was younger if my wallet could not fit into my jeans I would not buy it. Then came all these loyalty cards and for at least 10 years I have carried a full size wallet. I do not want to get rid of the cards. They do save me money on things I routinely buy. So now I have to carry a purse that is big enough for the wallet. My sunglasses (which are expensive prescriptions) are in a huge case. That also means a bigger purse. How do the rest of you deal with these issues?
I would suggest a Card Cubby (google it, about $25, with alphabetical dividers inside), or a Mead Organizher (about $6). I would just keep them in your glove compartment, so you don't have to leave them in your purse at all times. If you have an iPhone, you can use KeyRing or other apps to organize this. HTH!
New Contributor
A good idea...when you feel the urge to buy something, before you make that purchase come to the Compact Thread and read a few comments to inspire yourself not to buy something you really don't need. Too bad we couldn't set up a web site for trading our excess with other members here.
Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 DL2843 said: Also the wallet/purse issue. When I was younger if my wallet could not fit into my jeans I would not buy it. Then came all these loyalty cards and for at least 10 years I have carried a full size wallet. I do not want to get rid of the cards. They do save me money on things I routinely buy. So now I have to carry a purse that is big enough for the wallet. My sunglasses (which are expensive prescriptions) are in a huge case. That also means a bigger purse. How do the rest of you deal with these issues?
For the loyalty cards, I have the little ones that you can put on your key ring. I have another ring for those hooked to the one I have my keys on. I tried leaving them in the car but then would always forget them so back on my key ring it went. So, I don't use the cards that you can put in your wallet. For the rest of the stuff, yes, that is the issue. I need some stuff with me but I am not stuffing my bag any more. I only have what I need in there. Although, on weekends for running around, I am trying the wristlet route when I find one that works for me. Lately, a few times I ran out without a pocketbook and I find it quite liberating. So, I am going to experimernt just carrying a purse to work and a wristlet for everything else. We will see.
Respected Contributor
On 1/3/2015 just bee said:
On 1/3/2015 aprilskies said: Purses, yes, hmmmm, I have been thinking of this one lately. I do need one for work but I am looking for a nice wristlet for the weekends and doing errands. The ones I have are too small or have seen better days. I am getting tired of carrying a purse quite frankly. I just even recently just put my license in the car and for little errands, I don't bring a purse at all, just money and lip balm. Although, I don't like to leave my license in the car and won't leave it in there for long. I don't see myself without a purse though for the long term. I need to carry some stuff with me like big phone, lip balm, nail clippers, tissues, etc etc. but I have been carrying it less and less where I can. They get too heavy after awhile, especially if I am out all day.

Kindred spirits! But you've said it yourself: It really is possible to wean one's self off a satchel.

Now would be a good time for a confession. Do you remember Morris the Cat? I used to be a cat person. I wore Morris T-shirts and carried a Morris tote bag. It's been decades, but I remember this as if it happened only last week.

I was in the hallway outside the theater at my university and I set down my Morris tote bag for a moment to do something. I turned my head at just the right moment and saw a silverfish crawl out of my bag.

If you continue to carry a purse or tote, be sure you clean it out regularly and know what you're toting.

Oh, yes. You can easily wean yourself all the big purses. I have been carrying a small one for the last year or so and just recently switched to a bigger bag and it is taking getting use to. I much preferred the smaller one but, unfortunately, it was too small and I stuffed it so it wore out fast. Mainly because I had a big wallet which took up 85% of the space. Once I find a wristlet that is big enough for my phone and a few other things, it will be my go to on the weekends. ...or maybe just a small cross body bag. I should have one of those I think. I shall go shopping in my closet. Smiley Happy

People carry those satchels for style. I have a friend who carries these big bags and virtually has a few things in them- literally. She has kids so I thought she carried them to keep extra things on hand for them, nope, she didn't keep a thing handy for them. If they had a running nose, they were sh$t out of luck.

Regular Contributor
Hi. Thanks for the responses. I have resisted a separate case for loyalty cards because it would mean remembering to switch two items to a bag rather than one. On days when I know I am not shopping I just take some cash out of the wallet and put it in my purse. I want the new iPhone 6 plus but am worried about a larger phone not fitting into my bags.
Respected Contributor
On 1/2/2015 BExplorer said: Happy New Year, ComPactors! I have been off work over the holidays and am happy to report accomplishing some compacting, tossing out, shredding, organizing and boxing up items for donation this week! I will be taking three boxes of clothing and collectibles plus ten suits/dresses to Goodwill today. I posted the following William Morris quote to my refrigerator for continued inspiration: "Have Nothing in Your House That You do Not Know to be Useful, or Believe to be Beautiful." If helped me let go of those collectibles and suits that do have monetary value, but are only clutter to me now.
BEexplorer, it just dawned on me that you donated some collectibles. How did you find the strength to donate these? I have been brutal In what I have donated over the last several years, however, I have a hard time letting go of my collectibles. Although, I have given away several to family and friends.
Trusted Contributor
On 1/4/2015 aprilskies said:
On 1/2/2015 BExplorer said: Happy New Year, ComPactors! I have been off work over the holidays and am happy to report accomplishing some compacting, tossing out, shredding, organizing and boxing up items for donation this week! I will be taking three boxes of clothing and collectibles plus ten suits/dresses to Goodwill today. I posted the following William Morris quote to my refrigerator for continued inspiration: "Have Nothing in Your House That You do Not Know to be Useful, or Believe to be Beautiful." If helped me let go of those collectibles and suits that do have monetary value, but are only clutter to me now.
BEexplorer, it just dawned on me that you donated some collectibles. How did you find the strength to donate these? I have been brutal In what I have donated over the last several years, however, I have a hard time letting go of my collectibles. Although, I have given away several to family and friends.
Hi! I think it was the William Morris quote that did it for me. Those things were becoming clutter to me. I thought about trying to sell, but that would just be one more thing hanging over my head. Hopefully Goodwill can put the money from those items to better use than I would have by sellingSmiley Happy BTW, loved the Seinfeld video link you provided!
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
On 12/31/2014 Eager2Learn said:

For January, the one thing I want to work on the most is finding animal friendly, non-toxic products to replace my laundry and cleaning supplies;

May I recommend Molly's Suds...