Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen Powder supplement

I use Orgain Collagen Peptides powder (on Amazon). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I’ve used powdered collagen in the past but switched to a liquid form because I believe it has better absorption.  DH and I take a Tblsp. everyday.  It’s made of hydrolyzed pork collagen (closest to human), is sugar free, carb free, low calorie, and made in the USA.  I have it on subscription through Amazon.  

46712772-CA96-4F64-B329-01F067A525E2.jpeg

@JeanLouiseFinch How's the taste?  What do you feel it does for you?

@Icegoddess

The Proteinex comes in assorted flavors.  We’ve only had the lemon- lime and coconut pineapple. There’s sucralose in it so it’s a bit sweet.  It doesn’t bother me, though.  The flavors aren’t unpleasant but I usually follow up with a drink of water to get the sweetness out if my mouth.  There are many health benefits to collagen supplementation - improved bone density, improved skin elasticity, skin firmness, improved joint health, hair growth, condition of  the hair, etc.  My skincare routine has taken on a more internal approach so I’m taking other supplements in addition to the liquid collagen.  It would be difficult to attribute my success to only one product.

Esteemed Contributor

If you want another suggestion:

Integral Collagen from trim healthy mama.

"Integral Collagen is a pure protein powder for health and beauty as well as yummy food creations.

From the grasslands of Argentina and Brazil, bovine Integral Collagen is pork free and processed with integrity. It dissolves easily in liquid with no blending required and is completely tasteless. This makes it the perfect choice to swirl into Greek yogurt or pour into your hot tea for a nutritional overhaul."

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all your responses. Is bovine collagen considered to be better. I am confused
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom in NY wrote:
Thanks for all your responses. Is bovine collagen considered to be better. I am confused

@Mom in NY 

No. They both do about the same thing. They just come from different animals. Marine (fish collagen) contains mostly Type I. Bovine contains Types I and III. Here's a breakdown of where the different collagen types are found inside the animals where they are sourced (not necessarily where they benefit):

Types of collagen and their locations in the body | Download Table

Marine collagen is made from the scales of fish.

Bovine collagen is made from cowhide.

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for your help
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Great info on collagens. I've been taking Andrew Lessman's for some years now. Based on your info and my doing more research on collagens just now, I'm now switching to a brand called 'Live Conscious' with all five important ingredients in this one.

I do not think Andrew talks about these in his collagen. So I'm really excited to get into the new brand.

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby   I was taking this brand until I read this forum. Just did some research and found a much better collagen offered by a brand called "Live Conscious". You s hould check out their's on their site. it's also on amazon but a better price offer directl from their site.

Honored Contributor

Molecular structures of the various types of collagen are very similar to one another with just a few of the hydrocarbon bonds differing between them. It's this difference in their structure which determines where the collagen is found and subsequently how their categorical title...I, II, III...etc. is given.

Respected Contributor

I use collagen more for my joints than my skin, so I prefer a brand that offers more than types I and III.  I use Ancient Nutrition which has 5 types of collagen.  It's more expensive than most of the brands mentioned (maybe not more then Lessman) but I always buy on a special, which they do periodically.  I know Whole Foods had it on sale last time I was there and it's about $38 if you do it on auto delivery on their website I think.   I generally pay about $30 when they do a Buy 2 get 1 Free.