Honored Contributor

Cetaphil Makeup Remover - Tried it and think it's drying my skin out! Anyone else??

Anyone tried this product!  I have only been using a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen (no other makeup) and it's terribly hard to remove.  I noticed when using my regular cleansers, that it wasn't getting it all off and then this was causing me to break out more!

I came across this product -- Cetaphil Makeup Remover -- in the drugstore - and thought --- great!  I generally speaking love Cetaphil products.  It says it removes all makeup, including eye.  It is a clear liquid which you shake up before use.  Says it's oil free.

I haven't been wearing eye makeup, so can't say whether it removes this, but it did remove the suncreen very well!  However --- after about the third day --- I thought --- why is my skin so parched, dry, flaky and miserable looking?  I have never seen it so flaky and just totally dehydrated looking --- ever!  I have come to the conclusion that it has to be the Cetaphil Makeup Remover!  

Has anyone used this product and if so, had this happen?

When you use this product, your skin actually feels like it could be greasy and then you wash it off well and then that feeling leaves.  I thought at first --- good --- all the suncreen seemed to be gone and all the greasy feeling gone --- but then I looked in my big mirror with the magnification (I can't see much without it) and was shocked by what I saw!

I guess I need to look for something else now to remove the sunscreen!

Thanks for your replies!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Cetaphil Makeup Remover - Tried it and think it's drying my skin out! Anyone else??

Use a moisturizer after cleansing.  A makeup remover usually isn't moisturizing if it is taking everything off. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cetaphil Makeup Remover - Tried it and think it's drying my skin out! Anyone else??

Not a fan of any of their products.  Even the body soap and shampoo for children's  causes  excessive dryness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a cleansing oil (Palmer's Skin Therapy) to remove my sunscreen. That doesn't dry out my face.

ETA -  I use that cleansing oil with my Pop Sonic Spade brush. The brush makes a big difference for me.

download (1).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I found Cetaphil cleanser too drying. After rinsing my face, it felt like the product was still on my face. So I'm not surprised that their makeup remover would be drying out skin, also.

Almay has a good makeup and eye makeup remover.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I tried it once and that was enough for me.

Respected Contributor

When using stubborn, water-resistant sunscreen or makeup, I find that the double-cleanse method works best. I first use a cleansing oil or balm to emulsify the makeup, then follow with a facial cleanser (foaming or non-foaming depending on your skin type).

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw  and others:  Not sure if you noticed that there is a "Gentle" Cetaphil Cleansing Lotion. That's what I use for second cleanse of nights I wore no spf or makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   Derms recommend and I agree that nothing removes spf as thoroughly as an oil cleanser...even the grocery store coconut oil. I second cleanse with a gentle cleanser either Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Lotion that I mentioned or Aveeno now makes a good one, too. 

You also may need a richer moisturier for night, as well.

***Many women think that a regular cleanser is taking off  sunscreen, but if you saw your face in the actual computers that measure sun damage, clogged pores, etc., you'd be shocked how much is on skin. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didnt' know Cetaphil had a "gentle cleaning lotion". I thought they were all the same. I've been using Neutrogena deep clean cleanser, which I like. Maybe I'll check out the other sometime in the future. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain