Frequent Contributor
Do the people saying that everyone looked natural stop paying attention when a dark model comes on? Because no she didn't. I'm still embarrassed for that model/her family today.
Frequent Contributor
@CoG I've never tried Urban Decay, but I've had to return so many others. I can't imagine how much I've paid just in shipping and return fees.

I've been searching for makeup for years. I used to go to the Prescriptives counter to have it custom blended. Since they're no longer in stores, I haven't been able to find anything.

Rihanna's line sounds interesting. But a few months ago, I decided to give up on finding a makeup that matched, and just focus on skin care.
Honored Contributor

Across the board, Carmindy looked horrible on African-American models.  I sat with my mouth open in disbelief that this was on air.  I mean, it was so obviously awful! 

They make up the model from her shoulders up to her hairline, but the makeup did not even come close to her own complexion — not even close.  The blush was a Disney-looking pink which looked like Halloween makeup on one model.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I didn’t see it, but in the past, I’ve often seen too-dark foundation shades put on women who are fair skinned.  The hosts often say they wear “medium” when in fact, they should go a shade or two lighter.  

As for the “kits”....this is the way most beauty  brands are sold on QVC.  Rarely do I use everything in the kit, but it would cost  more to buy the few things I want, individually. 

@september   This is a common mistake done on fair skin when the artist knows they don’t otherwise have a good match...too yellow/pink...they default to a neutral medium and blend into the neck. Never!!!

Valued Contributor
I’ve liked Carmindy since WNTW. I’ll have to check out the show. She needs to come out with a clothing line. I have always loved the way she dresses.
Super Contributor

The blush was great for all faces. Carmindy put it on 3 of us at the beauty bash. I'm a natural redhead, my friend is Italian, and a lady of color who swore she never wore blush because she never liked it on her skin tone. It looked great on all of us. The lady who never wore blush was so surprised to see how fab she looked!

Contributor

If you can believe it the model in the deep shade looked much better in yesterday than she did in the first show on Friday.  When I saw her I audibly gasped,   I'm glad I waited for the presentation because her foundations for women of color need to be improved.

Respected Contributor

@CoG wrote:

@hyacinth003  when Rhianna  launched her new foundation with 42 shades, each with a designated undertone, Sephora’s was packed.  It was like a convention, women helping each other find their shades from true ivory to  honest ebony, cool, neutral and warm.    There had never been nor will there probably ever be a day like that one.  

Sadly, Q doesn’t get it.

@CoG 

Thanks for the information.  I will check out that line of foundation.  I just look awful with too much yellow in the foundation.  I once heard Bobbi Brown say that foundation needs a lot of yellow.  I get that all skin tones probably contain yellow as a component, but there IS such a thing as too much.  I need cool or neutral at the most.

I actually found my favorite in a Tarte TSV.  It was a stick foundation, and I have NEVER thought I'd like a stick foundation.  It came with a great brush (also new to me, used fingers) to blend it in, and got it in the fairest shade.  I have tried Tarte before with the too yellow results!  Now I think they are discontinuing this one!!!!

I think QVC just goes with the most "popular" type of shades.  Think of fair, light, medium, dark, and that's it.  I know some lines have more.

But I have read about Rhianna came out with her line, I have read it really covered every skin tone possible.  Thanks - I will check that out.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@CoG wrote:

@hyacinth003  when Rhianna  launched her new foundation with 42 shades, each with a designated undertone, Sephora’s was packed.  It was like a convention, women helping each other find their shades from true ivory to  honest ebony, cool, neutral and warm.    There had never been nor will there probably ever be a day like that one.  

Sadly, Q doesn’t get it.

@CoG 

Thanks for the information.  I will check out that line of foundation.  I just look awful with too much yellow in the foundation.  I once heard Bobbi Brown say that foundation needs a lot of yellow.  I get that all skin tones probably contain yellow as a component, but there IS such a thing as too much.  I need cool or neutral at the most.

I actually found my favorite in a Tarte TSV.  It was a stick foundation, and I have NEVER thought I'd like a stick foundation.  It came with a great brush (also new to me, used fingers) to blend it in, and got it in the fairest shade.  I have tried Tarte before with the too yellow results!  Now I think they are discontinuing this one!!!!

I think QVC just goes with the most "popular" type of shades.  Think of fair, light, medium, dark, and that's it.  I know some lines have more.

But I have read about Rhianna came out with her line, I have read it really covered every skin tone possible.  Thanks - I will check that out.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003, a lot of Bobbi Brown foundations have been re-formulated and are very light and no yellow. Have you tried the new ones yet? The Alabaster is almost white with a lot of pink in it. Try it at a counter and see what you think.....even the next shade up Porcelain is extremely light.

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEANWNTW is still on.  It's on the Discovery Family channel (DFCH) on Wednesdays from 8 PM ET to 1 AM ET.