Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,385
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shanus, while our @Tinkrbl44 may be a bit blunt sometimes, I think I understand her point.

 

I think it's cool that you had been a makeup artist and that you love all things beauty. But I would be very careful about setting yourself up as an expert on skincare (or even cosmetics, to some degree).to the point at which posters take your opinion as the gospel truth. That's a lot to live up to. :-)

 

Personally, if I have a question about a skin problem or a product or ingredient, I listen to others here but always verify on my own by searching for any credible, scientific information if available.


@suzyQ3  If I seek or receive any advice or info on any forum here, it is my responsibility to take it or leave it. I assume others also make that decision. My replies are my personal opinions just like everyone else here.

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,142
Registered: ‎03-19-2010
Shauns I enjoying reading all of your posts and all of your recommendations. I wanted to add: if one is looking for a new foundation and a color match, besure to go outside with a mirror and look at the color in natural sunlight. Most lighting in stores will not give you a true color. Now my question is how do you feel about contouring and highlighting? What products would you recommend?
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,002
Registered: ‎09-06-2014

@Shanus,

Many thanks for sharing your professional knowledge with us🌻

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,385
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@LoveMojitos wrote:
Shauns I enjoying reading all of your posts and all of your recommendations. I wanted to add: if one is looking for a new foundation and a color match, besure to go outside with a mirror and look at the color in natural sunlight. Most lighting in stores will not give you a true color. Now my question is how do you feel about contouring and highlighting? What products would you recommend?

 

 

@LoveMojitos Most definitely look at shade of foundation in sunlight and ask for a sample to wear it for a few days to check for any sensitivity. Highlighting/contouring? Rarely looks natural unless very carefully & lightly applied and do not copy a 20 yr. old’s technique on YouTube if you’re 40 or  over...It will never work. 

 

I definitely don’t feel it’s an every day look...maybe a smidge for a special occasion. If wearing powder foundation or set makeup w/ powder, then a powder bronzer for contouring will work best...matte not any shimmer. Same for highlight...BTW, if contour is done properly, the cheekbone is already highlighted because it is lighter & has concealer in that area. Liquid or cream foundations, does better w/ a stick type contour product (one made for that purpose or I use a Bobbi Brown foundation stick) just a few shades darker than the shade  you use. I only go slightly above cheekbone, top of ear & an inch towards nose...not all the way...blending up. Blending well is key w/ powder or cream. Blush goes above that contour line.

 

Hint: As we age, we lose volume in our faces, that’s why women get fillers in their cheeks to rid themselves of that sunken look. Trying to create chiseled cheekbones w/ too much contouring is therefore aging. 

 

Hope that helps.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,214
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

@Shanus....I am not surprised. I love reading your threads and posts and I can always learn new techniques of doing things. It is what keeps us over 60 ladies fresh and not stuck in a rut.

 

I saw my derm recently and found out that a lot of the Bobbi products I have been using are giving me bumps on my forehead underneath the skin. Apparently, the products are too emollient....so off to find a new fair foundation with NO oil. I cannot believe at the ripe old age of 64, I am still dealing with oily skin (dry on the surface)

 

Thanks again for your expertise. Heart

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,385
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus....I am not surprised. I love reading your threads and posts and I can always learn new techniques of doing things. It is what keeps us over 60 ladies fresh and not stuck in a rut.

 

I saw my derm recently and found out that a lot of the Bobbi products I have been using are giving me bumps on my forehead underneath the skin. Apparently, the products are too emollient....so off to find a new fair foundation with NO oil. I cannot believe at the ripe old age of 64, I am still dealing with oily skin (dry on the surface)

 

Thanks again for your expertise. Heart


@Trinity11  You’re welcome. What works for some, does not work for others. My expertise, however is not appreciated by a few posters. I do not profess to have a PHD or be a MD. I have learned an awful lot through experience and that is what I share when asked.

 

Print the ingredients in the Bobbi foundation and check them against others you want to try. If you see a lot of similarities...mineral oils, etc. that should be a help with your choice.

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,142
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@Shanus wrote:

@LoveMojitos wrote:
Shauns I enjoying reading all of your posts and all of your recommendations. I wanted to add: if one is looking for a new foundation and a color match, besure to go outside with a mirror and look at the color in natural sunlight. Most lighting in stores will not give you a true color. Now my question is how do you feel about contouring and highlighting? What products would you recommend?

 

 

@LoveMojitos Most definitely look at shade of foundation in sunlight and ask for a sample to wear it for a few days to check for any sensitivity. Highlighting/contouring? Rarely looks natural unless very carefully & lightly applied and do not copy a 20 yr. old’s technique on YouTube if you’re 40 or  over...It will never work. 

 

I definitely don’t feel it’s an every day look...maybe a smidge for a special occasion. If wearing powder foundation or set makeup w/ powder, then a powder bronzer for contouring will work best...matte not any shimmer. Same for highlight...BTW, if contour is done properly, the cheekbone is already highlighted because it is lighter & has concealer in that area. Liquid or cream foundations, does better w/ a stick type contour product (one made for that purpose or I use a Bobbi Brown foundation stick) just a few shades darker than the shade  you use. I only go slightly above cheekbone, top of ear & an inch towards nose...not all the way...blending up. Blending well is key w/ powder or cream. Blush goes above that contour line.

 

Hint: As we age, we lose volume in our faces, that’s why women get fillers in their cheeks to rid themselves of that sunken look. Trying to create chiseled cheekbones w/ too much contouring is therefore aging. 

 

Hope that helps.

 


Thanks so much @Shanus I think sometimes I get caught up in all the suggestions on YouTube Beauty Videos. As an older woman (68) I am loving my age and I do think "less is more." I have stopped looking for that one beauty item just saying. Love the results I am getting with less and have stopped looking for that "fountain of youth." Wow the money I am saving! Thanks for your thoughts and I do enjoy your suggestions. Don't let the "uglies" drag you down, have a beautiful day. 🙋🏻❤️💐
Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,385
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@LoveMojitos wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@LoveMojitos wrote:
Shauns I enjoying reading all of your posts and all of your recommendations. I wanted to add: if one is looking for a new foundation and a color match, besure to go outside with a mirror and look at the color in natural sunlight. Most lighting in stores will not give you a true color. Now my question is how do you feel about contouring and highlighting? What products would you recommend?

 

 

@LoveMojitos Most definitely look at shade of foundation in sunlight and ask for a sample to wear it for a few days to check for any sensitivity. Highlighting/contouring? Rarely looks natural unless very carefully & lightly applied and do not copy a 20 yr. old’s technique on YouTube if you’re 40 or  over...It will never work. 

 

I definitely don’t feel it’s an every day look...maybe a smidge for a special occasion. If wearing powder foundation or set makeup w/ powder, then a powder bronzer for contouring will work best...matte not any shimmer. Same for highlight...BTW, if contour is done properly, the cheekbone is already highlighted because it is lighter & has concealer in that area. Liquid or cream foundations, does better w/ a stick type contour product (one made for that purpose or I use a Bobbi Brown foundation stick) just a few shades darker than the shade  you use. I only go slightly above cheekbone, top of ear & an inch towards nose...not all the way...blending up. Blending well is key w/ powder or cream. Blush goes above that contour line.

 

Hint: As we age, we lose volume in our faces, that’s why women get fillers in their cheeks to rid themselves of that sunken look. Trying to create chiseled cheekbones w/ too much contouring is therefore aging. 

 

Hope that helps.

 


Thanks so much @Shanus I think sometimes I get caught up in all the suggestions on YouTube Beauty Videos. As an older woman (68) I am loving my age and I do think "less is more." I have stopped looking for that one beauty item just saying. Love the results I am getting with less and have stopped looking for that "fountain of youth." Wow the money I am saving! Thanks for your thoughts and I do enjoy your suggestions. Don't let the "uglies" drag you down, have a beautiful day. 🙋🏻❤️💐

@LoveMojitos  I try to have a tough skin. Thanks for your compliment and hope my thoughts do help you & others.