Trusted Contributor

Re: COMPLEXION ISSUES FROM WEARING MASKS

I have noticed a few things...

My skin and lips are drier.

I don't think that wearing the masks are particulary the cause of it, but perhaps are adding to it, if that makes sense.

I think that what may be aggravating things, is running our air conditioner.

I have noticed in past seasons that my skin becomes drier, and I don't think that it's any coincidence that I started noticing it again since we just started running the air conditioner again.

I also have to take diuretics for some medical conditions, and that doesn't help my skin, either. 

I'm in Wisconsin and we're also subjected to lake-effect weather from Lake Michigan.

It can get really humid and sticky here. It doesn't even have to be really warm outside, to feel uncomfortable from the humidity. When the humidity is high, you can feel really sweaty and sticky when you're outside.

I'm always putting on some kind of moisturizer and moisturizing lip balm, too. 

When I wear a mask, it's a cotton-type of a mask with a bit of spandex in it. 

We have several of these masks, so my husband and I each wear one, and then we take them off and then I wash them again and then we use a clean one the next time that we go out.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I've been getting calls from clients experiencing issues with their skin since wearing masks. I'm having some, too: dry skin, chapped lips, spf coming off when remove mask & then sunburn, itching & redness, etc. 

I've recommended and following these suggestions myself: 1. Temporarily stop or taper off to less use of Retin A. 2. No or less exfoliating 3. Be careful w/ products containing acids ( I discontinued my acid peel pads) 4. When home and not wearing mask, take advantage of time to wear extra hydrating moisturizer or organic shea butter...lips, too. 5. Lip balm or Aquafor or similar on lips under mask 6. I'm keeping my mask on until I get home so spf is not wiped off. 

Anyone else having issues or questions? 

Maybe keep a hat in the car to put on in case the SPF comes off. I agree, no irritating treatments, because the mask will rub against the skin. Could play with fun makeup on the eyes, but go bare or minimal on the rest of your face since most of the time it won't be seen anyway.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3   To combat the dry skin issue, I run a lg. humidifier in my bedroom since the A/C takes the humidity out of the air. I also hand wash my masks in a very gentle baby wash & air dry. ***The humidifier runs all year since in colder months, my skin becomes more dry. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Toppers3   To combat the dry skin issue, I run a lg. humidifier in my bedroom since the A/C takes the humidity out of the air. I also hand wash my masks in a very gentle baby wash & air dry. ***The humidifier runs all year since in colder months, my skin becomes more dry. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Smiley Happy

We normally don't think of using a humidifier during the warmer months, but that's a good idea.

I normally wouldn't use a heavier skin cream/moisturizer on my face at this time of the year, but I'm thinking of changing up my skin routine--cleanser for drier skin, different facial moisturizer, etc., to see if that would help. 

I got the Target Beauty Box in May that was a Dermatology special, and it has small sample trial sizes of different cleansers and skin care products in it. 

Some of the products include moisturizers and moisturizing cleansers for dry skin. 

We're all probably spending more time inside than we normally would right now, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, wearing a mask for an hour or two at a time does not bother me at all.  I think of all the health care workers who have to wear masks every day for several hours.  Day in and day out.  The short amount of time that I actually need to wear one is nothing.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Shanus   What kind of masks? What are they made of?

@willdob3   I wear soft all cotton masks. They are made and ordered from a site that also makes cotton sheets.

@Shanus  I need these! Where do you order them from?

@SandGirl    Luckily, I had saved the shipping slip. I had ordered the masks from Linen Salvage Et Cie. May go back and check out the linens, too.