Esteemed Contributor

@spot555wrote:

I don't know what you're referring to. But if "they", in the news, say it's bad for you, then it must be very beneficial. I completely ignore their "findings & studies".....follow the money trail (big pharma). 

Over the years, they've demonized vit. C, & most things good & natural. I couldn't care less what "they" are saying. 

Smiley Happy

Also Vitamin D and now there is a almost nationwide deficiency.

Respected Contributor

Biotin helps my nails but does absolutely nothing for my hair.  

Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty @Mothertrucker @Shanus @EveryoneHasMyName

Yes, my dentist does that.  In fact I have a pain management PA (Physicians Assistant) who I see every 3 weeks who has for her records (I give her), every blood test every Dr I've seen.

I'd say she has the most complete information (other than me) of everything I've taken and done.

I think it would surprise everyone to hear how few people are like us here (responding).

Medicine is so expensive (even going) to the Drs anymore people just go to get some medicine (like if the flu is very bad).  

In my family I have two sisters who are RN's and 3 nieces who are RN's.  The things they tell me are sad and makes me realize how few people take their healthcare seriously and actually practice PREVENTIVE medicine.

These people wait until say they have a heart attack and then do so.

Respected Contributor

I see several doctors and I have listed my supplements for each of them . I have done that for years now.  Before my surgery last fall I was instructed to stop them two weeks prior. One of them is Biotin/ B Complex .

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 Yes!  Loved your post.  My late husband and mine's best friend is in and out of the hospital every single week (ever heard of full body gout).  He's back in after only being home a week....no...I just found out he's out again (this time 2 days in hospital).  It's crazy.

My sister (the RN) said they're called 'frequent fliers'.  In and out.

I'm off subject again....OK, so here's my point on this.  My friend (his wife) is constantly going back and forth and in a hurry.   Not to see her husband of 40 some years but to try to get there in time so she can talk to his Dr(s). 

I understand why they come early in the morning and they just pop in at any given time, but come on!  He's on very, very strong pain medicine and is out of it half of the time.  So she goes there in the hopes to talk to the Dr to find out the plan for helping him.

Instead the Dr hops in goes bla bla and leaves.  My friend (who will be taking care of him) is like, "So what did the Dr say"?  Her husband is an intelligent man with a good education but he's drugged up and he can't remember.

So then my friend goes to the nurses station to try to find a nurse who can tell her what the Dr said and she hears, "The Dr is ready to release him".  What?  He's still in terrible pain!  This goes on over and over.

So, let me tell you about my daughter (this is night and day treatment).  

So last Saturday my daughter (while skiing) broke her Tibia (sp) in two places.  She was in Vale Colorado visiting high school and college friends.  She and her boyfriend never even checked into the hotel but went skiing.

The first responders had to get her off of the mountain.  She was operated on the next morning but was admitted into the hospital that night.  The Dr couldn't operate that night because he was operating on one of the former Olympic skiers.

Her treatment there was amazing!  They kept her in the hospital for 5 days.  They had a Dr come in, give her pictures and go over her treatment, every single thing.  He sat there (the surgeon) and the group of Drs who'd be managing her physical theraphy while she was in there.  There was even a Dr who came in and talked to her about her Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia and that it might start up due to the trama.  They said they want her to drive back (from Denver in 2 weeks (I think it was)) and they will check on her progress.  They gave her the name of some excellent physcial therapists where she lives and on and one.  They inserted a nerve block that would last for 3 days like they did when I had my double knee replacement.  She went home with it and was given needles to inject with blood thinner after she got home for a few days because she'd be immobile.

In short, it was amazing!

If she'd been where I live, they'd have operated and sent her home either that day or the next.  They'd have given her some pain medicine and sent her on her way.

My daughter the week before was skiing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and the week before New Mexico.  We agreed she was in the best place to be if you're going to break something....Ha!

Too bad we all can't get that kind of treatment.  Those days are long gone.  Unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

@maestrawrote:

Biotin % as receommended by FDA is very low, so to make a significant difference or impact % has to be much greater.

My PCP recommened 5000mcg of biotin daily when I was recovering from chemo some 7 years ago.

I take that daily still.

@Annabellethecat66

@maestra

Most people mistakenly think that the FDA recommendations are for optimal health and that we should never take more.

Honored Contributor

I normally take 5000 mcg/day.  I'm off it right now because I do need to go in for some bloodwork, but I'll get right back on it as soon as I get that done.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I didn’t mean to post and run, but I am at work and pretty busy.

I only heard about the testing interaction last night on our local (Los Angeles) ABC affiliate.

I also have been taking it after blood infusion treatments for a blood disorder, and since I have frequent blood test, andone of them is thyroid....Well I was a little concerned...

Thanks to all...

Honored Contributor

@Drythewrote:

My M.D. goes over all meds and vitamins as well as reasons for taking and asks about any changes I’ve made since last visit.  I’m glad for such a thorough exam.

He’s told me to stop Biotin 2 weeks before lab work.  I do not need any help wit unusual lab results, I can do those all by myself!

Oh, but @Drythe, didn't you know that he's part of the evil medical/pharma industrial complex?

Sheesh, I can't believe so many people eschew "studies and facts, a.k.a. science), insisting that it's all a money grab, yet never consider that unregulated and non-factual people and companies are eager for you to open your wallet.

Scientists are the first to acknowledge their imperfect realm, which is constantly changing and updating with new research, just like technology. I'll take that any day over the consistency of the gurus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

I trust my physician, if not, I would move on.

I respect that he didn’t say stop taking it, just do what is needed to assure validity of my labs.  Credible labs are critical to me. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras