Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

It's amazing to me the way Drs never ask what vitamins you are taking or just in general if any new medicines or just what has been done or added to your life since last visit.

I know the nurse asks if there are any changes.  I'm talking about taking a minute with your Dr and discussing various things.

Drs are limited to maybe 15 minutes (if that) per person that they interview.  What medicine has come to is really sad.  

It's all about 'move them in...move them out...quickly...

Before an operation I'm always asked what vitamins, etc I've been taking.  My daughter did an indepth study and found some interesting interaction between foods we eat and blood tests.  She went on and on and so funny...she said, "Mom!  Your mouth is literally open!"  I said, "I had no idea".  This was for drug tests, etc.

My doctors always ask me what I take, Rx as well as supplements. 

Honored Contributor

I think most warnings refer to people taking what we used to call 'mega-doeses'.

That means more than prescribed and more often than prescribed.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

It's amazing to me the way Drs never ask what vitamins you are taking or just in general if any new medicines or just what has been done or added to your life since last visit.

I know the nurse asks if there are any changes.  I'm talking about taking a minute with your Dr and discussing various things.

Drs are limited to maybe 15 minutes (if that) per person that they interview.  What medicine has come to is really sad.  

Before an operation I'm always asked what vitamins, etc I've been taking.  My daughter did an indepth study and found some interesting interaction between foods we eat and blood tests.  She went on and on and so funny...she said, "Mom!  Your mouth is literally open!"  I said, "I had no idea".  This was for drug tests, etc.

I had a discussion with my doctor on my opinion that having the computer in hand while interacting with the patient interferes with patient care.  You cannot pay full attention to entering on the computer and listening to your patient.  It is readily apparent to me as a health care professional.

I'm not saying it will change.  But he totally agreed with me.  I've taken note of it with my dad being in the hospital as well.  It disconnects from interaction with the patient.  One of my daughter's doctors just took notes and entered into the computer later.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  My MD's always ask what supplements I take as well as all medications.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I remember during my yearly physical when the doctor actually examined me! Now the nurse does the weight, checks on your list of meds & supplements. My physician’s only job is to go over the labs I took the week before. 

Honored Contributor

I know, mine do that.  I'm talking about sitting and discussing why and what amount and so on.

They don't treat the entire person.  For instance I'm getting ready this week to go to my Cardiologist.  I normally only go every 5 or 6 months but the last time I was there 2 months ago, he and I argued about me taking a specific medicine.

I had scarlet fever when I was a kid.  It damaged my heart muscle.  He keeps an eye on it.  He wants me to take a medicine which I don't mind but then he added something to it (diauretic).  I can't take it at night...obviously, but it says "can cause eyes to be blury".  Ok, I figured that one (when to take it) and he's to change the diauretic part.

But we argue because I refuse to take the generic because it has complications that the REAL one does not (people think they're the same....guess what...they aren't and don't have to be.

So, he has to justify to my insurance company why I only need the original one and not the generic one.  He'll do that but first I have to come in to see him or else he'll change the prescription entirely to another one that's better or just as good.

I carry with me something he wrote on a piece of paper (signed by him) telling my other Drs that my blood pressure normally runs high(er) than many people and I'm under his care.  I have to pull it out to show the new nurses because they think I have high blood pressure and worry.

I once saw a show where a woman gathered all of her Mother's Drs and had them talk to each other.  Guess what!  All of her meds were changed because one medicine was countering the other and so on.

I constantly fight about taking medicines because soon you're taking one to counter the effects of another that you are taking.

Bottom line is the patient must be aware of his own body.  He must know what works and does for him.  Have a list WHEN you go into the Drs office and so on.  

I am totally hands on when it comes to my health.  I have some weird and unusual things wrong so I need to keep up.  

I was raised by my Grandmother.  Her mother was a Cherokee Indian.  She taught me many things to do instead of always popping a pill.

Respected Contributor

Biotin % as receommended by FDA is very low, so to make a significant difference or impact % has to be much greater.

My PCP recommened 5000mcg of biotin daily when I was recovering from chemo some 7 years ago.

I take that daily still.

@Annabellethecat66

Respected Contributor

@maestrawrote:

@Annabellethecat66  My MD's always ask what supplements I take as well as all medications.

My dentist also ask me what medications and supplements I take. When going to any doctor I tell them what I take medications and supplements. Plus I keep a copy in my wallet behind my drivers license.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus Yes!  I remember way back when my family Dr came to my house.  I had Scarlet fever when I was young (my brother and me).  Back in the old days we had mumps (I had that 2 times) measles, you name it.  The Dr always came out when the fever got too high.

I just saw something where there is now a group of Drs who will come to a person's house.  

This is primarily for people traveling:http://innhousedoctor.com/

But the program I saw on TV was about a group of Drs that actually comes to people's houses like in the old days.

According to this group it isn't expensive, but I'm sure it probably is.  I'd sign up for it if it was in my area, but it isn't.  I think (of course) it's primarily in California somewhere.

Honored Contributor

Re: Biotin in the news

[ Edited ]

My M.D. goes over all meds and vitamins as well as reasons for taking and asks about any changes I’ve made since last visit.  I’m glad for such a thorough exam.

He’s told me to stop Biotin 2 weeks before lab work.  I do not need any help having unusual lab results, I can do those all by myself!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras