Honored Contributor

Re: Biotin in the news

[ Edited ]

@Desertdiwrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

I know it does absolutely nothing to improve fingernails, so if that's why you're taking it, don't bother.

@Kachina624   Yeah......but I'm scared to STOP.........'cause they might get WORSE (!!)

@Desertdi. I think the best thing for nails is ton of some kind of oil or a good greasy cuticle treatment daily.  It's dry where we live and as soon as I turn the heat on in the fall, the fingernails crumble.  In the meantime, I have thick, shiny, fast-growing hair.  How can you have one but not the other?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddesswrote:

@spot555wrote:

I don't know what you're referring to. But if "they", in the news, say it's bad for you, then it must be very beneficial. I completely ignore their "findings & studies".....follow the money trail (big pharma). 

Over the years, they've demonized vit. C, & most things good & natural. I couldn't care less what "they" are saying. 

Smiley Happy

Yeah, I have also seen articles that claim there's no proof of benefit, but I could definitely tell a difference in my hair and nails when I started taking it.  

@Icegoddess

Within 3 months of our move from CA to OR, my beautiful nails turned to thin, chipping, peeling messes.  Simply awful!  Started taking PureFormulas Biotin twice a day and began noticing a difference within 8 weeks.  After a year, went off of it and my nails turned awful once again.  Must be something missing in the water here.  No fluoride - that I did find out.  But what a difference when taking biotin.  Awesome!  (No difference in my hair, however.)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative, we do have flouride in our water, and chlorine - yuk.  Thing is, I was taking the biotin for my hair, not my nails.  My nails were fairly strong to begin with, and I do so much yardwork I pretty much gave up on having pretty nails long ago.  I don't know that I have seen much of a benefit for my hair, but I'll keep taking it since I can tell that I am getting a benefit from it.  It may just be that the nails are just more noticeable.  

Also, I wore some gel-nails (the polish) too long and that really damaged my nails, but they have recovered nicely.  They had to grow out to recover, but that happened relatively quickly.  Won't do that again.

Honored Contributor

It doesn’t concern me.  I don’t use it and never will.  I am healthy enough without it and I don’t believe in taking vanity supplements.

i try to keep my liver as clean as possible.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@Desertdiwrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

I know it does absolutely nothing to improve fingernails, so if that's why you're taking it, don't bother.

@Kachina624   Yeah......but I'm scared to STOP.........'cause they might get WORSE (!!)

@Desertdi. I think the best thing for nails is ton of some kind of oil or a good greasy cuticle treatment daily.  It's dry where we live and as soon as I turn the heat on in the fall, the fingernails crumble.  In the meantime, I have thick, shiny, fast-growing hair.  How can you have one but not the other?

@Kachina624   How about "neither"?   Hair and nails grow pretty fast......but are not "nice".    Maybe I expect too much (!!) or watch too many commercials........... di  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I can't use biotin.  My scalp itches terribly with it.  My eczema got way worse.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

My doctor always asks what OTC herbals and vitamins I may be taking.  He has told me to never start taking any OTC product without talking to him first.  He has explained that many OTC products may have bad interactions with prescription medications I take every day or with my general health.  When I asked him about Biotin several years ago, my doc told me to never take it.  I follow his advice.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Whenever I see this thread title, my mind scrambles it & I see,

”Bitcoin in the news.”   

I originally thought,

‘Oooo, interesting! But why is this in Beauty forum?’

🤣

(back to regularly scheduled programming)

Honored Contributor

I read that it might help  dogs with allergies.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

It doesn’t concern me.  I don’t use it and never will.  I am healthy enough without it and I don’t believe in taking vanity supplements.

i try to keep my liver as clean as possible.

This is exactly how I feel.  There isn't much you can do once your liver is shot.