Honored Contributor

Best liquid retinol product? (not prescription)

Dr. Dennis Gross, PTR, or?   Also, do you know how long a bottle would be good if it is unopened?     (I had ordered the PTR TSV, but the package was never delivered so I got a credit because it is not in stock.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Best liquid retinol product? (not prescription)

I like the PTR, I have sensitive skin and this doesn't give me a rash. 

Regular Contributor

I have tried PTR and was not impressed.  Out of all the others, I prefer Paula's Choice the best.

Honored Contributor

I concur with @BadWolf...Paula's Choice is my preferred retinol. I have PTRs as well (simply because I stopped using it one I bought PC's).  PC's is every bit as good for less $$.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
My favorite right now is Consulte Beauty (when bought on sale). It is strong though and if I were new to retinol, I would start every third night. I have also used PTR - and have compared the two. PTR is more gentle, Consulte is (for me) for effective. Dr. Denese has a retinol which I like, Retinol Max which I get in a kit I have on AD. Dr. D. recommends that it be used every night. It is also effective but, if used every night, can cause peeling. Personally peeling does not bother me, I will just use a gentle exfoliation to remove, but it does bother some people. Redness and irritation is another matter altogether.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I am using and liking Mad Hippie now, they are using a new and different form of retinol, that I see Dr Murad is also using now. PTR did nothing for me.

I would also try Consult Beaute, it is strong 3%, making it twice as strong as PTR, but Consult is buffered for safety. There are many brands at 2.5% found on amazon and ebay.

Honored Contributor

I'm also using the Mad Hippie, it's their Vitamin A Serum.  One thing that always prevented me from using retinol was that it had to go through metabolic conversion steps to become retinoic acid (what the skin actually receives) and it weakened with each step, making it very different from the stronger retin-a.  The main ingredient in the Mad Hippie product is already bioavailable and doesn't require those conversion steps.  It also contains moisturizing ingredients so there's no drying or flaking.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with other posters.  Paula's Choice -- have been using her products since 1995.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Paula's Choice.  I use her BHA Liquid morning and night and I use her Intensive Wrinkle Serum with Retinol on top of BHA at night.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I like Dr. Denese's Firmatone serum.