Honored Contributor

How would using baby oil to lock in moisture be?Any one use it?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Hi Goldensrbest

It's a man made by-product of the petroleum industry...I'd use it to peel off a sticker stuck on something - not on my hair or body...

Baby oil is made of mineral oil.

Mineral oil is something completely foreign to the human body.

It is a synthetic oil which is a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how it "works" but I use it in the winter after a shower before I dry off.  It keeps my skin from feeling itchy.  I also use Vaseline on my feet and have no concern what the product is made of.  Both of these items have been around for a long time with no ill effects that I'm aware of.  

Trusted Contributor

Applying the oil to damp skin can help keep the water from evaporating. Baby oil is basically just mineral oil with fragrance. On Johnson's site it says "Gently massage onto damp skin after bathing to leave skin feeling baby soft and to moisturize dry skin. Works best on damp, not dry skin."

I do not agree with the statement that mineral oil is synthetic. The fact that it's a byproduct of oil refining is of no concern to me.

https://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/mineral-oil-0 

Honored Contributor

There are over 100 different names for 'mineral oil' used in cosmetics. You may not even recognize it as being a mineral oil  if you saw it.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There are over 100 different names for 'mineral oil' used in cosmetics. You may not even recognize it as being a mineral oil  if you saw it.

...or ingested it. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't use it now because I use bath and body products but long ago I used baby oil after my shower, on my feet/legs.arms.  

Honored Contributor

I stopped using all "baby" products when baby shampoo was used by my stylist as the first steps to remove the dye from my hair in efforts to go naturally grey. That's how strong it is! I don't use it on my GD when visiting, but rather  my sulfate free shampoos. I'm not sure about the oils, but only use organic ones now. 

Coconut oil is available in lg. jars at a inexpensive price and is all natural. 

Honored Contributor

It's just scented mineral oil. Harmless and inert, except for the fragrance which may irritate some people. Might as well just go with plain cosmetic or pharmaceutical grade (which is the only type sold for cosmetic and baby care) mineral oil since that lacks the scent.

Mineral oil would be useful if you needed a moisture seal that had nothing in it that might interact with your skin. The main reasons it is not popular are misinformation/confusion about oil rig equipment and because it's just not that elegant to use when compared to other moisturizing options.

https://www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org/mineral-oil/

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Modern technology has made mineral oil highly refined and completely safe to use in cosmetics and food. But years ago that was not the case. Refining techniques were not as they are today and that meant mineral oil was not pure...it contained petroleum distillates which have been found to be carcinogenic in today's world. The beliefs that mineral oil is a bad thing still lingers on because it was at one time not a good thing.

This same kind of story can be told about talc.