Occasional Contributor

BEST EYESHADOW COLOR FOR EVERYDAY WEAR

Does anyone know of a great neutral color of eyeshadow that  might look good on everyone? I wear just one shade on my eyelids, and wish that I had a neutral color to wear everyday. I have worn a purplish color for years, but am sort of tired of it. I have blond hair and blue eyes, and would love to have a good brownish color that looks good no matter what other colors I wear. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? If you have an eyeshadow that you love, will you tell me the color and brand? Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: BEST EYESHADOW COLOR FOR EVERYDAY WEAR

I wear eyeshadow every day but I wear smokey which puts me in taupe.  I would, however, highly reccommend the sets by Revlon.  They're really good. Stay on forever, plus I use an eye shadow base with my deep set eyes. I buy them in multiples because they're so popular.

This is their brown set "Addicitive".

Image result for revlon brown eyeshadow sets

Respected Contributor

Here an interesting YouTube video that I found that she only used one eyeshadow shade to achieve this look. She has blue eyes, too, and this Truffle shade looks great on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVfTvctsKU

Respected Contributor

Wet n wild Nutty or Anastasia Warm Taupe or Stone. 

Valued Contributor

Chanel duo taupe is always in my travel bag.  

Contributor

I'm fair/light, dark ash blonde hair, green eyes. I have three suggestions that work well for me, but are neutral enough for most. This may seem lengthy but I"ve really thought about this topic, for myself so, here goes!

First: If I had to pick a basic single eyeshadow color for every day wear, it would be Bare MInerals in the color Soul, it's like a pale lemon chiffon by description, but it just evens out and brightens up the eye. It's very gently colored and super flattering. I put it all over from lashline to brow. Sometimes I'll take my blush and swipe it in the crease, it looks great with Soul as the base.

Secondly, I've discovered Burberry eyeshadow singles in the past year or so. I love the colors: Porcelain and everyone's favorite, Pale Barley. Very Neutral, very subtle shimmer/sheen. It lasts all day on me and I don't use primer.  They can be expensive but the shadows are very generously sized (almost double the amount of other brands) and high quality not powdery, no fallout. I've always had problems with eyeshadows making my eyes red and watery but I have come to believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to things you put on your eyes! If you are willing to invest in just one or two and will use them often, it's worth it. 

Third, and possibly my favorite of all time is Cargo Cosmtics Essentials palette in Cool Neutral. This palette is the absolute best for wear time, neutral colors. Huge pans, no creasing, wonderful matte but not flat finish. I'm not sure they are making them anymore, but they had cool, warm, smokey, bronze, etc. Now Cargo is making a new palette called the Essentials, but not necessarily exactly just the cool neutrals. The newer palette has smaller pans, but a wonderful selection of very high quality shadows. This company is largely overlooked in the beauty industry but has some of the best blushes and eyeshadows to be had ad any price point. 

Mostly, I learn by experimenting and watching youtube videos, but I have to say, all of these discoveries are my own, with the exception of the Burberry Pale Barley. Everyone loves that one. And it took me a while to come around to it myself, as I would often wear the Porcelain shade alone and skip the PB. 

Happy Shadow Hunting!

Respected Contributor

I have brown hair and brown eyes. I love Mally's Mahogany stick shadow. I would think any basic brown shadow should work. Try to get one close to your skin color if you don't want it to stand out.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I have brown hair and brown eyes. I love Mally's Mahogany stick shadow. I would think any basic brown shadow should work. Try to get one close to your skin color if you don't want it to stand out. I also like to wear dark grey shadow, but can't remember brand. Tarte round eye compact has great neutrals. You would certainly find one in there!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

L'Oreal Boudoir Charme

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Doing my eyes are my favorite part of getting ready in the morning. If I'm not wanting to use a palette to get an eye look, I will set my eyeshadow primer with a skin tone color and then just use whatever bronzer I'm using that day to define my crease. I then will go back a touch up the lid with the skin tone color I used to set the primer. I rarely apply eyeliner to my lower lash line and just use the bronzer to line it and then blend it out. Most days though I use 4-5 eyeshadow colors. I have 3 small Z palette that hold 9 single eyeshadows. I have one for the brown tones, one for mauve/pinky tones and one with purple/lavender tones.