Frequent Contributor

Re: BEEN QUITE AWHILE SINCE......

I am legally bline, 77 years old, silver hair and blue eyes. Also fair skinned. I can't see well enough to use a powder pallette. I use shadow sticks, only one color, and put it on my ffinger and rub it on my eyelid. Any tips about color or application that would help. I want to use only one color since it is so hard for me to do. I don't post much, but I can enlarge my screen to read, thanks to my son.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@Shanus Yes! Hi Shanus! I was going to ask you for recommendations on mascara. I seem to have skimpy lashes and am looking for a volumizing mascara that doesn't clump. I did not like the new tube mascara that the Q came out with....nope. I'm looking for some thing that doesn't flake, but washes off with soap and water. I find it hard to get just the right mascara that adds volume. Any suggestions? 

@Effie54  Oh please don't use soap and water around the eyes to remove mascara!!! The eye area has very thin skin and any pulling and tugging....well, just not great. Find a good eye makeup remover...drugstore or high end. I use Lancome Bifacil...only takes a little on a cotton pad for both eyes. Hold it gently against your lids/lashes for a minute and then wipe off all eye makeup.

Mascara: I've used L'Oreal Voluminous and Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara (only when there's a sale on the site). I use the BB minis since i am a firm believer of tossing it after the recommended 3-4 months. If you're having trouble with clumps, wipe the mascara wand just a little on a tissue and then apply two light coats of the mascara. Make sure the mascara has not dried out...that can cause clumping, too.

Honored Contributor

@Jhincher wrote:

I am legally bline, 77 years old, silver hair and blue eyes. Also fair skinned. I can't see well enough to use a powder pallette. I use shadow sticks, only one color, and put it on my ffinger and rub it on my eyelid. Any tips about color or application that would help. I want to use only one color since it is so hard for me to do. I don't post much, but I can enlarge my screen to read, thanks to my son.

@Jhincher   Application would be difficult for you and I'm sorry you have this challenge. I'd go with a pale beige, a light taupe or light camel/tan shade. This will bring out your blue eyes and not so harsh or dark that if placement isn't perfect, it won't be obvious. Be sure to blend and since most eye shadow sticks are budge proof, do only one eye at a time and blend quickly. Hope this helps your issue with shadow.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Just a quick comment that Eucerin  Redness Relief Night Creme has been very good for my recently red face.  It has worked well to calm and hydrate!

Trusted Contributor

The whites of my eyes are really no longer white ~ what make up colors bring out the illusion of the white ?  My eyes are brown .  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Shanus Yes! Hi Shanus! I was going to ask you for recommendations on mascara. I seem to have skimpy lashes and am looking for a volumizing mascara that doesn't clump. I did not like the new tube mascara that the Q came out with....nope. I'm looking for some thing that doesn't flake, but washes off with soap and water. I find it hard to get just the right mascara that adds volume. Any suggestions? 

@Effie54  Oh please don't use soap and water around the eyes to remove mascara!!! The eye area has very thin skin and any pulling and tugging....well, just not great. Find a good eye makeup remover...drugstore or high end. I use Lancome Bifacil...only takes a little on a cotton pad for both eyes. Hold it gently against your lids/lashes for a minute and then wipe off all eye makeup.

Mascara: I've used L'Oreal Voluminous and Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara (only when there's a sale on the site). I use the BB minis since i am a firm believer of tossing it after the recommended 3-4 months. If you're having trouble with clumps, wipe the mascara wand just a little on a tissue and then apply two light coats of the mascara. Make sure the mascara has not dried out...that can cause clumping, too.

@Shanus Thank you for the great tip about eye makeup removal. I did notice more dryness when I used baby shampoo remove eye makeup. Three years ago I got a terrible (ugly) stye on my lower inner eyelid. It was a monster to get rid of. My ophthalmologist told me to use baby soap to remove eye makeup. You know, I didn't wear makeup for a year after! I never wanted to go through that again. But now it's time to get back with the living, and where I make up. I will absolutely try the make up remover you suggest. And that type of mascara. I really appreciate your expertise. 💖 

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

The whites of my eyes are really no longer white ~ what make up colors bring out the illusion of the white ?  My eyes are brown .  

@CoastalGal   Check Lumify drops for redness (ck. w/ your eye doc) first. If you're experiencing just a dullness of the whites, navy liner always works! Either use a navy liner close to lashes to tightline with a waterproof navy pencil. Try Urban Decay 24/7 pencils.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54   Thanks for the compliment. It's been a loooong time since I questions thread, right?

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much. I have been using a Julep Taupe shimmer that I use lightly. I will look forr the brown shades you mentioned. Thank you again!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus     Hate to make a nuisance out of myself but I may be wrong about my skin tone.   I'm really bad at this.   In any event, the foundation that matches my skin tone the best is Estee Lauder  Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation in 2N1 Desert Beige (light medium with neutral undertones).  I think I tend to look awful in most warm colored eyeshadows.  Does this change your recommendations?  I do have dark brown eyes.