Highlighted
Honored Contributor

BEEN QUITE AWHILE SINCE......

Reading here ya'll have makeup under control.

Any questions about colors, technique, products you've been anxious to ask?

Respected Contributor

Re: BEEN QUITE AWHILE SINCE......

[ Edited ]

Good morning ...   curious to know about how high up you go with your crease shadow?  I'm sure some of it depends on your eye shape....  but in general.  Thanks @Shanus 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus ..What eyeshadow colors would yiou recommend with someone with brown eyes and light olive skin tone.  TIA

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Good morning ...   curious to know about how high up you go with your crease shadow?  I'm sure some of it depends on your eye shape....  but in general.  Thanks @Shanus 

@nyc1   Hello. I think as we get older, no matter the eye shape, the cut crease look days are over . That's when the crease is darkened and on me makes my eyes look hollow and a bit ghostly.

I like to use a shade in the crease that's only a bit darker than the complexion  (after using a primer or concealer to neutralize the lid). I go only a little above the crease with that shade...called the transition shade by some. I'm not fond of the windshield motion application since it brings the crease shade too close to the nose/brow area and makes the eye look down turned sometimes. Instead I like to shape that area above the crease upwards at the outer corner of the eye. The lid shade can be brightened in the center w/ a little shimmer just in the center. 

Hope that answers your question.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Shanus ..What eyeshadow colors would yiou recommend with someone with brown eyes and light olive skin tone.  TIA

@Boehm Collector   Lucky for you that brown eyes can be brought out by a lot of colors, but I always prefer neutrals. Look at your eyes and if you see golden areas, for example, do a shadow that's an amber tone. Otherwise, I'd stay away from taupes, beige, etc. since it may darken your eye area by being too close to the color of your pupil. You'd look great with a brighter shade...even with some shimmer. With olive skin, you can choose any warm shadows.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

@Shanus wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@nyc1   Hello. I think as we get older, no matter the eye shape, the cut crease look days are over . That's when the crease is darkened and on me makes my eyes look hollow and a bit ghostly.

I like to use a shade in the crease that's only a bit darker than the complexion  (after using a primer or concealer to neutralize the lid). I go only a little above the crease with that shade...called the transition shade by some. I'm not fond of the windshield motion application since it brings the crease shade too close to the nose/brow area and makes the eye look down turned sometimes. Instead I like to shape that area above the crease upwards at the outer corner of the eye. The lid shade can be brightened in the center w/ a little shimmer just in the center. 

Hope that answers your question.

@Shanus  I have actually learned about TRANSITION colors this past year and really appreciate them.  I now look for pallettes that have them.   I do still like a slightly darker color for just a little more definitiion on top of the transition color,  but only in the outer portion of the crease.   I'm not a fan of the windshield motion either.  THANK YOU so much for thaking the time. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

That's so kind of you to check on us!  No, I definitely don't have my makeup, etc. under control!  I wish!  I am still struggling with just about everything.  I think my skin conditions are just extreme and I don't even know what to do any more.

I recently posted about being concerned about using SPF and how to integrate that into my regular makeup line-up.  I find it hard but I guess that's just me.  I don't use as lot of makeup but I do need coverage on my face since I have rosacea, etc.  When I do use makeup, I tend to use a liquid foundation, dot on concealer, and then powder because I hate the look of a shiny face.  However, I think the powder makes me look older and I have tried a lot of different ones.  

Should I be looking for a foundation that is matte so that I don't get the shine and then won't have to use a powder?  But I thought matte foundation was only for people with oily skin.  I have dry skin so I don't know that this would work for me either.

Any suggestions?  Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@nyc1   Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus 

That's so kind of you to check on us!  No, I definitely don't have my makeup, etc. under control!  I wish!  I am still struggling with just about everything.  I think my skin conditions are just extreme and I don't even know what to do any more.

I recently posted about being concerned about using SPF and how to integrate that into my regular makeup line-up.  I find it hard but I guess that's just me.  I don't use as lot of makeup but I do need coverage on my face since I have rosacea, etc.  When I do use makeup, I tend to use a liquid foundation, dot on concealer, and then powder because I hate the look of a shiny face.  However, I think the powder makes me look older and I have tried a lot of different ones.  

Should I be looking for a foundation that is matte so that I don't get the shine and then won't have to use a powder?  But I thought matte foundation was only for people with oily skin.  I have dry skin so I don't know that this would work for me either.

Any suggestions?  Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1   I've had many clients w/ rosacea and I usually recommend a green concealer to counteract redness in those areas that are most pronounced...NYX makes a good one in a tube w/ a doe foot. It's easily covered by foundations and doesn't show up green if carefully blended.

Powder: If you feel you need it, try a damp sponge afterwards and tap it lightly on your face to take away some of the powdered look.

SPF is probably the most important thing you can wear for rosacea. The sun especially (and any heat, change in temps, spicy foods, etc.) can make the redness much worse. I like sunscreens with zinc oxide. Apply it as a last step after whatever skincare you use. BTW, even if you're home, you can get sun from the windows, etc. Wearing spf every day gets you in the habit so you don't forget whether home or going out.

Matte Foundations: If you have a lot of wrinkles or lines, matte anything can settle in and make them more visible. Heavy cream foundations can do the same. Try the green concealers (many on the market) underneath the makeup you're using. I know you're sensitive to fragrance, etc., so if you've found a foundation that agrees w/ your skin, stay with that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus Yes! Hi Shanus! I was going to ask you for recommendations on mascara. I seem to have skimpy lashes and am looking for a volumizing mascara that doesn't clump. I did not like the new tube mascara that the Q came out with....nope. I'm looking for some thing that doesn't flake, but washes off with soap and water. I find it hard to get just the right mascara that adds volume. Any suggestions?