Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

@cddh   FYI, you should never count on a foundation to be enough spf unless you're going to apply at least 1 teaspoon. I doubt many women use that much foundation....and what about necks and ears? Foundation there?

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Serums go on first. Oils and moisturizers go on after that and in any order...it's just a matter of preference. Oils tend to be occlusive so many people choose to use them lastly to seal in everything under it. If you use a chemical sunscreen then that has to go on after your serums so it can absorb, too.

Is a serum the same as a primer?   I wonder if primer is a barrier to any spf that is applied over it.

Can you help and explain?

Honored Contributor

Re: Argon Oil Application

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Serums go on first. Oils and moisturizers go on after that and in any order...it's just a matter of preference. Oils tend to be occlusive so many people choose to use them lastly to seal in everything under it. If you use a chemical sunscreen then that has to go on after your serums so it can absorb, too.

Is a serum the same as a primer?   I wonder if primer is a barrier to any spf that is applied over it.

Can you help and explain?

@shy bobcat 

Serums are not primers. Serums go on first then your chemical sunscreen and lastly your primer. A primer is a barrier so it won't allow a chemical sunscreen to absorb into the skin which is not the correct thing to do. Chemical sunscreens need to absorb into the skin for proper protection. Do not use a primer under a chemical sunscreen.

Mineral sunscreens go on after your primer. Mineral sunscreens don't need to absorb into the skin.  Some mineral sunscreens make good primers so you might want to skip the primer.