Super Contributor

I have done some googling but wonder what posters have to say.  Before other serums, moisturizer or as a last step?  I have read that it depends on your skin type.  Has anyone tried both?

Respected Contributor

I've heard Josie Maran say to use it as the last step in your routine.

Honored Contributor

Serums go on first. Oils and moisturizers go on after that and in any order...it's just a matter of preference. Oils tend to be occlusive so many people choose to use them lastly to seal in everything under it. If you use a chemical sunscreen then that has to go on after your serums so it can absorb, too.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  ITA about the oils except I think we disagree about sunscreens. Any type of spf whether chemical or mineral should be applied as your last step in skincare. Most derms feel that applying moisturizers over sunscreen can change the properties of the spf and dilute the efficiency of the sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I've heard Josie Maran say to use it as the last step in your routine.

@Janey2   If my skin is extra dry, at night only, I will tap on oil (not JM's) on top of my creams and add more moisture. Sometimes, I mix them together in the palm of my hand before application. Daytime, I apply oils after serums and before moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

It's the way they make and test chemical sunscreens which is the basis of their efficacy. Chemical sunscreens need to absorb in order for them to perform as they were formulated to do and that's inside the skin, not on top of it. Yes, you can apply them on top of other products but what you'll end up with will not be the SPF stated on the bottle. That's the reason why they tell you to wait 15 minutes so it can absorb and give the appropriate SPF.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

It's the way they make and test chemical sunscreens which is the basis of their efficacy. Chemical sunscreens need to absorb in order for them to perform as they were formulated to do and that's inside the skin, not on top of it. Yes, you can apply them on top of other products but what you'll end up with will not be the SPF stated on the bottle. That's the reason why they tell you to wait 15 minutes so it can absorb and give the appropriate SPF.

@SilleeMee   Can we agree to disagree on this one point?

Super Contributor

Is this in response to the "oil"?

Honored Contributor

Chemical sunscreens have substances in them which need to bind to the skin in order for those substances to convert into an SPF agent. Without the binding the chemicals themselves don't work. The chemicals need to absorb so they convert via a chemical reaction inside the skin@Shanus 

Honored Contributor

@cddh wrote:

Is this in response to the "oil"?

@cddh 

It's important to know that oils can inhibit some sunscreens.