Frequent Contributor

Re: Argan Oil ~ What Am I Doing Wrong ~

For a moisturizer, you will want one that consists of humectants, emollients and occlusives. While argan oil covers emollients and occlusives, you need a hhumectant. Oils create a barrier but doesn't draw moisture to the skin. You can try adding oil to a moisturizer or apply a moisturizer first then your oil.
Honored Contributor

On 2/11/2015 ginabfly said:

I use JM's argan oil as more of a serum, and use moisturizer over it. I can't use it alone otherwise my face is too dry also.

You should try reversing that. Oil acts as a moisture barrier, so if you put it over a moisturizer, it seals that moisture in. If you put the oil under the moisturizer, the moisturizer isn't as effective because you've put a barrier between the moisturizer and your skin.

Mistic, you might want to try your moisturizer under your oils. Some days I'm fine with only one or the other, but on very dry days, both are better. And consider that other things may be contributing to your dry skin, as well. (Lower humidity, heat being on, medications you've started recently, etc.) If you set the argan oil products aside, consider picking them back up in a few months to try again. Often things that don't work for me one season work really well in another because of the environmental changes.

Esteemed Contributor

I am somewhat surprised that coupled with the milk you still experienced the dryness.

Oil is more a protector. It will hold in your own skin's moisture. Its molecules are too large to penetrate deeply into the skin, so it stays on top, protecting your skin from the elements, and at the same time, holding in the moisture you already have.

Most formulations (i.e., moisturizers) contain both a humectant/hydrator and an oil, which is emulsified into a cream. You are missing the hydration element when you use only an oil. I cannot use just an oil. I mix my choice of oil/s with aloe vera gel because it is a great hydrator. But also, I use hylauronic acid, which is also a perfect hydrator.

The "one God-given ingredient" (and it certainly is!) may be enough for a younger skin, which already is sufficiently hydrated with (what I call the fountain of youth), being your own facial oils.

Respected Contributor

WOW ~ You Beauties are wonderful. So much great information. Thank You!!!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I have very dry skin - even as a teen I had dry skin. I bathe with Skin so soft bath oil every day. I also use JM argon oil on my face - 3 drops only - and it absorbs in and really moisturizes. I only use it at night. If you feel it is not absorbing in you are probably using way too much. there is a reason it comes with a dropper.Just a few drops is all you need.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:

Mistic, the exact same thing happened with me. Initially I thought the oils (I tried both the regular and light and also the milk) were making my skin look better and I was so excited because I love the thought of using natural oils, but about a week into it I started seeing wrinkles I didn't see before. After about a week and a half my face looked like a prune! I had wrinkles running down my cheeks that weren't there before. It was like looking in the mirror and seeing myself in 20 years. It broke my heart because I wanted so badly to go argan-only and get rid of my other skin care products, but sadly argan just doesn't work for my face. I went back to my Philosophy products and after several days my skin bounced back and those bizarre wrinkles are gone. I have Josie's hand cream and body butter and they seem to work for me. I love Josie and I really want to use her products but it looks like I'm stuck with the lotions only, not the straight-up oil. I'm envious of the people who are able to only use argan on their face and get great results!

This sounds like me. It started out great. I kept with the program, but then my face became even more dry, and it felt like it was in dire need of exfoliation, and I do this regularly anyway...so it wasn't that. I so wanted this to work. Oh well. You ladies have been great, and I so appreciate all your help.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

Harpa Said ~ Oil is more a protector. It will hold in your own skin's moisture. Its molecules are too large to penetrate deeply into the skin, so it stays on top, protecting your skin from the elements, and at the same time, holding in the moisture you already have.

So, if I had no moisture to begin with, the oil is not going to help. I get it now. Sigh.....

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 Harpa said:

I am somewhat surprised that coupled with the milk you still experienced the dryness.

Oil is more a protector. It will hold in your own skin's moisture. Its molecules are too large to penetrate deeply into the skin, so it stays on top, protecting your skin from the elements, and at the same time, holding in the moisture you already have.

Most formulations (i.e., moisturizers) contain both a humectant/hydrator and an oil, which is emulsified into a cream. You are missing the hydration element when you use only an oil. I cannot use just an oil. I mix my choice of oil/s with aloe vera gel because it is a great hydrator. But also, I use hylauronic acid, which is also a perfect hydrator.

The "one God-given ingredient" (and it certainly is!) may be enough for a younger skin, which already is sufficiently hydrated with (what I call the fountain of youth), being your own facial oils.

I'm going to expand just a little on Harpa's great post. Yep, you need a hydrator, water, aloe, distillate, usually. You need a humectant - glycerin, lanolin, sodium lactate, hyaluronic acid, etc. You need an emollient - those are your oils, butters, esters, fatty acids and alcohols. Lastly, an occlusive or barrier protector. There are three FDA approved occlusives, allantoin, cocoa butter, and dimethicone. Or, a barrier protector like a protein, wheat, oat, silk amino, etc. The occlusives or barrier protectors will help all the other lovelies stay in your skin. That may be what you're missing if you have everything else.
Super Contributor

On 2/11/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

I use JM's argan oil as more of a serum, and use moisturizer over it. I can't use it alone otherwise my face is too dry also.

You should try reversing that. Oil acts as a moisture barrier, so if you put it over a moisturizer, it seals that moisture in. If you put the oil under the moisturizer, the moisturizer isn't as effective because you've put a barrier between the moisturizer and your skin.

Mistic, you might want to try your moisturizer under your oils. Some days I'm fine with only one or the other, but on very dry days, both are better. And consider that other things may be contributing to your dry skin, as well. (Lower humidity, heat being on, medications you've started recently, etc.) If you set the argan oil products aside, consider picking them back up in a few months to try again. Often things that don't work for me one season work really well in another because of the environmental changes.

I was trying to get the most out of argan oil by putting it directly on my skin or over serum, I will try it over moisturizer and see if that helps.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

I was trying to get the most out of argan oil by putting it directly on my skin or over serum, I will try it over moisturizer and see if that helps.

Oils are emollients not barrier protectors. They'll hold up for a little while but not for long. Film formers/barrier protectors will keep hydration longer. Proteins, silk aminos, allantoin, cocoa butter, dimethicone.