Respected Contributor

Re: Are All these Products Necessary?

On 4/12/2014 Krissie62 said:

I am laughing while reading this. Last night on FNB there was a cream with 'special' minerals from a 'special' pond somewhere that used to be so hard to get and has been studied by scientists etc. etc.

Last week there was a cream and serum set that has stem cells from a specific type of apple, again, a miracle and found nowhere else.

I thought of LG's special spring in Italy that makes her powders magical, and the amazing magical clay from the Amazon, and the rare minerals in all of our 'rare' mineral makeup, and of course, the snail goo.

Every skin care line has something 'magical' and some sort of 'breakthrough' that no one else has, and it will cure your ills.

We as women are so bombarded with messages that aging is NOT OK that we are easy targets. It's funny, but it's sad, really, because all of the time we spend on it - doing it, researching it, worrying about it - not to mention the $ - we could spend doing something else, something probably more productive and definitely more satisfying, since you never win the aging game.

And yes, I buy this stuff, at least some of it, so this is not meant as a judgment, just a commentary on how our culture treats women.

Hello Krissie62 ~ Great Post!!!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor

Speaking of that 'special' peat moisturizer that was over $100--does anyone remember when HSN had the peat product that advertised with the perfectly preserved guy who had been buried in the peat moss for hundreds of years? That line didn't last long, but it was probably $20 or less. I don't know why the Q product kept calling it 'peat peat', maybe sounds better?

Shopping channels rely (prey) on women who believe there is really some miracle out there that will turn back time.

I don't agree that doing research on products is a waste of time. Once you are familiar with ingredients it doesn't take long and you come to realize that there's nothing special or life changing in any of them.

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 KatCat1 said:

My mother never used expensive products nor did she use a lot of skincare and she had beautiful skin. Ponds and Nozema were always in our home.

"and she had beautiful skin."

That's called "genetics". For those of us who don't have it, we buy it in a jar. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Works for me! I LOVE my cosmetics! (skincare only, I don't wear make-up).

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 rina33 said:
On 4/12/2014 KatCat1 said:

My mother never used expensive products nor did she use a lot of skincare and she had beautiful skin. Ponds and Nozema were always in our home.

"and she had beautiful skin."

That's called "genetics". For those of us who don't have it, we buy it in a jar. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Works for me! I LOVE my cosmetics! (skincare only, I don't wear make-up).

And I will add that I don't care for Noxzema. I don't like any products with menthol in them. I have never used Ponds and probably never will (Mineral Oil, Water, Ceresin, Beeswax, Triethanolamine, Behenic Acid, Fragrance, Ceteth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylparaben.)

If someone swears by them, that's great. But they're always brought up in threads like this one as if they're the Holy Grail of skin care.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

While everyone's skin is different and will respond differently to products, I generally believe we don't need all that stuff. I have fallen for the hype and promises like many of us have.

I was using so many things to combat aging and acne that it was getting ridiculous. My skin was looking really bad so I finally just stopped all the extra stuff one day and threw it out.

I have simplified my routine tremendously the past month and my skin is finally starting to look better. I cleanse, tone, exfoliate with BHA, and moisturize with SPF in the morning. I use a BP product and a mask only as needed.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/12/2014 colliemom3 said:

Sometimes less is best. Most of these products do nothing but break me out.

My skin was looking dreadful with awful breakouts when I was layering on the expensive products.

I've down graded to an apricot scrub (2x a day), a vitamin c serum (2x a day) a retinol moisturizer at night and my mineral makeup with spf in the morning.

It's like my skin breathed a sigh of relief and has thanked me by stopping the horrid breakouts. My skin hasn't looked so clear and bright since my late teens!

Respected Contributor

They are essential to the people selling them, to the rest of us, not so much. Smile

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but it's not just "genetics".

Yeah, that factors in, but if you spent years baking in the sun without sunscreen, have a lousy high fat high carb diet, drink little water, and never exfoliate, all the good genes in the world will take you only so far.

Honored Contributor

....yeah...if Purity wants to keep the money rolling in.... It's simple, con the customer into buying as much STUFF as possible. I'm astounded by how many separate products all these skincare and hair care companies require if customers want to follow the regimen. And expense! If I'm going to spend a couple hundred bucks, it's gonna be on shoes or handbags.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Sorry, but it's not just "genetics".

Yeah, that factors in, but if you spent years baking in the sun without sunscreen, have a lousy high fat high carb diet, drink little water, and never exfoliate, all the good genes in the world will take you only so far.

I agree with this. Gene expression only plays a small role.

As to necessary products...no, products are not necessary, but necessary things/ingredients to meet your skin's needs at different stages of your life - that's something else. Obviously, the 30 year old has different skin function than a 60 year old.

Age, only one factor, besides environment, your skin type, your overall health, both mentally & physically, etc.

Rather than listening to the "snake oil salespeople," listen to your own skin.