Contributor

Anyone else do a double cleanse?

When washing my face at night I usually use an oil-based cleanser like Julep or Josie Maran's Argan oil face wash first. Then I use either a soap cleanser (Clinique) or Tula cleanser with a washcloth. I get a  much better cleanse than I used to get with the Clarisonic ( got tired of recharging, cleaning brushes, and buying new brushes ). My complexion is the best it has ever been. I think it is due to the double cleanse. Anyone else wash twice?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else do a double cleanse?

I do when I wear makeup, I do use the Clairsonic and if I don't, I break out.

Honored Contributor

@deerfeeder wrote:

When washing my face at night I usually use an oil-based cleanser like Julep or Josie Maran's Argan oil face wash first. Then I use either a soap cleanser (Clinique) or Tula cleanser with a washcloth. I get a  much better cleanse than I used to get with the Clarisonic ( got tired of recharging, cleaning brushes, and buying new brushes ). My complexion is the best it has ever been. I think it is due to the double cleanse. Anyone else wash twice?

@deerfeeder  I do almost your same routine. I take my eye makeup and face makeup off w/ an oil cleanser & washcloth. Then since I know my skin is clean, I still want to get at those pores. That's when I use my Clarisonic and Purity or other mild soapy cleanser. When finished, my face feels super clean, but not dry and stripped as it would if I had used just 1 harsh cleanser to remove mu and clean pores.

Honored Contributor

I guess I do. I first use One Love Organics cleansing oil and then Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Yes, I use Purity to take off my eye makeup and then a swipe of Purity all over my face, rinse and then . use my Clarisonic or the Sonic Leaf with It Cosmetics cleanser in the tube. I feel like you need to take that layer of makeup off so you are not forcing it into your pores. I never just put cleanser on my Clarisonic and start cleaning you would be smashing makeup into the pores. 

Contributor

@KoKo I feel the same way. You have to get rid of the surface stuff and then do a pore cleanse.

Respected Contributor

I massage a cleansing oil onto my dry face to "emulsify" my makeup (including eye makeup) then wipe it off with a damp microfiber makeup remover towel. I follow this with my Clarisonic and the CeraVe foaming cleanser. 

Honored Contributor

Yes.  First I remove surface makeup with a facial cleansing cloth or micelar water on a cotton pad.  Then I follow up with Dr. Young Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil and my Foreo Luna dupe.  My face is clean and soft doing it this way.  I'd never think of using another cleanser after the oil cleanse.

Respected Contributor

This sounds like a solvent cleaning followed by a surfactant, to cut through the beautyese. The solvents break down things that might challenge a soap-type cleanser, and the soap gets rid of the solvent residue and the rest of the surface soil. I'd think of it more as a two-step process as opposed to "double cleanse."

I think the Erno Laszlo regimen employed a similar technique, starting with working phelityl oil into your skin and following with a wash with the black soap and those hot water rinses. It's been about 40 years since I used it, so the products may have changed, but the solvent prep followed by a soap wash is a beauty standard.

Respected Contributor

I double cleanse then 30 splashes of water (Erno Laszlo). This is easy when you are in the shower. Used his products many years ago but still do the 30 splashes.