Regular Contributor

Re: Any help for splitting nail?

[ Edited ]

I use a product called NailTek. It comes in formula 1, 2, and 3. I use formula 2 for similar symptoms as you describe.  Also, use Bio Oil on my nails at bedtime along with CeraVe moisturizing creme. There is another product called Nailtique which I started out using but am more successful with NailTek. Both of these can be found at Ulta. 

Regular Contributor

@Kelseys Mimi   This article should help answer your question. Doug Schoon is an international nail expert. 

https://www.nailsmag.com/390265/its-like-splitting-nails

Also, be very careful if buffing your nails. The "ridges" are the normal thickness of your nails. The "grooves" are the thinner, weaker parts. Some ridging is a normal part of aging. Best to use a ridge filler base coat (assuming the split isn't exposing your nail bed) than weaken your entire nail. 

Occasional Contributor

I have been using T.I.P.S. for years and love it.  My left thumb nail used to crack on the side below skin level.  Very painful. And my other nails peeled in layers.  It took time, but that no longer happens. The first two months or so it did not seem like I was having any result. I started using T.I.P.S. twice a day (it was winter). Boy, do my nails grow now. I apply it first thing in the morning. (And in the evening during the winter.). I have to cut them or file them down. I am on autodelivery and will never be without it.

Regular Contributor

I understand your dilemma - it's not all of your nails, just one that is giving you trouble.  I've had good results uising Orly Nail Rescue Kit.  You brush a super-glue-like adhesive onto the problem split, dip your nail into a very fine nail repair powder, allow to dry, buff lightly.  You can repeat the glue/powder/buff once it dries for additional strength.  It's not a cure, just a fix - but sometimes after using it long enough, you might just train your nail not to split!  You can polish over top of the repair with your normal nail color - or not.  The repair generally lasts 2-3 weeks. Costs under $10 - and after using it often and loaning it to a friend to use, there's still plenty left.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I smashed my thumb in a car door, lost that nail and then it grew back with a split ever since. Now decades later, I have scleroderma and that thumb nail is still split and it has developed permanent splinter hemorrhages. It's very unattractive and I hate it.

Respected Contributor

You can try nail glue. You can also try a silk or tea bag wrap. I keep my own Swiss Silk nail wraps and IBD brush on resin for nail repairs.

Longer term, you can take Biotin supplements, which help some people with splitting nails. Splitting nails can be caused for all kinds of reasons, including trauma to the nail bed. But it can also be caused by getting nails wet too often (wear gloves to do the dishes, take a break from swimming if you're in the water a lot, etc).

When my nails get dry, the break and peel easily. I've found a few things make a big difference, including keeping my hands and nails properly moisturized. Keep cuticle oils and/or hand creams everywhere - each sink, your handbag, your desk, in the nightstand, and next to whatever chair you sit in most often and use them often.

I make my own cuticle oil with jojoba and vitamin E. I usually use 3/4 jojoba and 1/4 vitamin E oil. I've also found that Josie Maran's Body Butter is exceptional for my nails. They were a huge peeling mess for months due to stress and dehydration and my cuticle oil alone was not cutting it. I've been using both the Divine Drip and regular body butter on my hands and my nails have been able to grow without breaking or peeling for the first time since June.

Honored Contributor

I had a nail that I damaged.  It kept breaking even when the hurt place grew out.

Used a silk wrap on that nail for about 6 months until the nail was healthy again.  

Also suggest oiling all your nails every night.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I bought this hair serum and have been using it on my eye brows and nails too. It has done wonders for my splitting nails and actually has made my eyebrows thicker. It has really helped with my hair-loss around the front of my hairline. The ingredients in the serum are good for your nails too. A360840 Peter Lamas Hair Solutions Energizing Scalp Serum, 1.7 oz
Honored Contributor

I am using Sally Hansen ridge filler on the one nail I have that splits right along the center ridge.  Its been several months now and I can see a good part of the nail that is now smooth. It had been splitting and flaking both.  The drawback is that it is white so I have one white nail.  I can't wear nail polish, obvioiusly I'm allergic.  I use TIPS and First Aid Repair Cream on my hands.