Another Beauty Line Goes Downhill. Tatcha bought by Unilever

Well here we go again, just like so many other good brands that are never the same after they are bought out.  Here is the list of brands I use to like:

Bare Minerals

Philosophy

It Cosmetics

and soon to be Tatcha.  

They were ever as good as when the founder owned them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Beauty Line Goes Downhill. Tatcha bought by Unilever

Vested interest vs. corporate interest = changes.

Honored Contributor

Don't forget Ojon.

Trusted Contributor

Hello, @kwiseman212 !  My observation is that each of these new brands of beauty has an “exit strategy” of selling to a large(r) corporation as a way to recoup their original investment and get rich in the process.  We see it over an over in these beauty lines at the Q and, in my experience in the medical industry, time and again.  I was in the medical industry for most of my career and saw this scenario play out time and again.

Once acquired, the large(r) corporate strategy is to reduce cost/maximize profit in the acquired line.  We ultimately see it as an erosion in product quality.  Sad but true and time tested.

Respected Contributor

so why do original creators sell out their "babies" when they have achieved a level of success after early struggles?  i know the corporate strategy of the buyout is to capture the product or to eradicate competition.  i think Dennis of Ojon really loves the creative process and returned to the marketplace - but not BareMinerals, Philosophy creators who took the $ and ran.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

so why do original creators sell out their "babies" when they have achieved a level of success after early struggles?  i know the corporate strategy of the buyout is to capture the product or to eradicate competition.  i think Dennis of Ojon really loves the creative process and returned to the marketplace - but not BareMinerals, Philosophy creators who took the $ and ran.

from what I have read there comes a time when a brand needs more money and investment if they want to grow a business.  I don't think it's "selling out" to sell your brand

you might be exhausted from the entire business , if you want more stores you need some type of investment.

personal life, family etc.   can't have both

Contributor

I have used Tatcha in the past and like it...

Shame they were bought out...

Another sad point...

Unilever does animal testing so even if Tatcha  continues to say they are cruelty free they are not totally free because the parent company does animal testing...

Many cruelty free cosmetic companies that are bought out are not cruelty "free" because of the parent company actions..

Sad to say, we can never totally escape using companies that do animal testing but cosmetics are one thing that you can control....

I do not like lining the pockets of those companies that do animal testing....

Respected Contributor

@Neversaynever3dogs - I totally agree. It is impossible (for me at least) to not buy some items from companies that are not cruelty free but with makeup and skincare it is super easy. When I decided to make the switch to cruelty free several years ago I was really surprised to find how many affordable cruelty free lines there are. I do a lot of shopping for these items online because the selection is so much better, but I see a lot of them in my local Kroger store too. 

Honored Contributor

Unilever also uses unsavory ingredients. Even in Dove products. 

Regular Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Don't forget Ojon.

And Tarte.