Super Contributor
There was a question on the TSV by PTR on whether it is cruelty free. I did some research and found this site. I was so shocked and saddened to see how many products I have purchased are tested on animals. Also, any cosmetic product made in China that is imported is required to be tested by animals. Some QVC vendors, like Laura Geller, are cruelty free. http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-product-reviews/animal-testing/ Oh, and PTR does test on animals.
Honored Contributor

well, what you said is actually not accurate. I think you are confusing two different things in your statement "Also, any cosmetic product made in China that is imported is required to be tested by animals." It is that some products being sold in China may be required to show animal testing before they are allowed to be sold in China. So products made outside of China that want to be brought into China MAY be required to test on animals.

There have been some companies that are being sold in China, like Dr. Perricone and another company (can't remember who it is now?? Isomers maybe??), have been able to show the safety of their products using other methods that were acceptable to the Chinese govt. so although they sell in China, they did not have to test on animals.

So we can no longer make the general statement that if they sell in China, they MUST test on animals- you will have to email each company you are concerned about and ask them directly.

Super Contributor

I checked with Isomers - they do not test on animals!

Regular Contributor

You might want to check again. Last I heard, Isomers sells their products in China.

Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 Danish Gal said:

You might want to check again. Last I heard, Isomers sells their products in China.

yes but please read what I posted- there are SOME companies that sell in China but have been able to prove their safety using other methods that were acceptable to China so they are not required to test. And yes, Isomers was one of them so they do NOT test on animals.

That is why I said we can no longer just write off a company that sells to China- you need to contact them directly to see if they were able to circumvent the animal testing. China is getting a little less stringent about the animal testing, fortunately.

Honored Contributor

This has already been discussed on the boards. No Isomers does not test on animals.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Really? Then how can they sell in China? Any possible chance of animal testing companies should be discussed on the board, IMO, and whenever the subject comes up. What makes Isomers so special? They are doing the same thing that PTR is accused of. There isn't a skin care product or company that I am willing to support that even may remotely test on animals. Until China irradicates their policy completely, I won't purchase. I have not seen a definitive statement that eases my mind on animal testing in China. Is it possible then when a product produces some results that people are less critcial of them regarding selling in China?

Honored Contributor

Really? Then how can they sell in China? Any possible chance of animal testing companies should be discussed on the board, IMO, and whenever the subject comes up. What makes Isomers so special? They are doing the same thing that PTR is accused of. There isn't a skin care product or company that I am willing to support that even may remotely test on animals. Until China irradicates their policy completely, I won't purchase. I have not seen a definitive statement that eases my mind on animal testing in China. Is it possible then when a product produces some results that people are less critcial of them regarding selling in China?

you really need to educate yourself and go look up the Chinese animal testing policy and see the new updated information. It isn't speculation, it is fact. It is misinformation like what you present here that really isn't fair to companies that are doing the right things.

I also find your last sentence insulting for those of us that are committed to buying cruelty-free. If there is ever any doubt, I pass on that line or product and would never ever give someone a pass because I like their products. I've had to give up 95% of my HG products once I went cruelty free and some I have not even been able to replace with anything as good but I would never go back regardless because I am not that vain to give up my morals for some beauty products.

ETA: and for the record, I do not use currently use Perricone, Isomers or PTR products nor have I in the past so I have no loyalty nor feeling one way or another to any of these lines.

Regular Contributor

Happydaze, it was question. Wow, you are really on the defensive. And yes, I have read the Chinese policy and what I am saying is that what is stated doesn't ease MY mind.

Honored Contributor

Not defensive at all, I just think I now understand why some people who aren't concerned about animal testing often think those that are are almost militant in their beliefs, regardless of what the actual facts are.

It really isn't fair to those companies that are doing the right thing to be flagged and called out as not cruelty free when they are.