Super Contributor

Yes, Peter a Thomas Roth definitely tests on animals. My mother sent the company countless emails inquiring about their policies, and they never got back to her. She will no longer use PTR.

Regular Contributor

Happydaze, animal testing on imported products has not been stopped in China from what I read. The first step that is taking place is stopping animal testing on domestically (China) made non specialty products. Progress is happening, but has not halted yet, I believe.

Honored Contributor

Danish, we will just simply have to agree to disagree. I do not want to go back and forth on it. I never said animal testing was stopped completely in China. I don't know where you got that from my posts but I never said it. But let's just agree to disagree at this point.

Contributor

It is very difficult to keep track of who tests and who doesn't, what with all of the buyouts that continually happen and their vague marketing ploys to deflect the truth. I appreciate those who take the time to do the research and ask questions and post their findings on the boards. Thank you for that. Animal testing is unnecessary and cruel and our food system is just as horrific. My daughter is vegan and I do not want to ever accidentally purchase her a gift that will upset her. So thanks for posting. I had no idea Smashbox was owned by Estee Lauder until today. There's another beloved brand scratched off the list.

Regular Contributor

I don't want anyone to be mislead either, Happydaze. Usually, you and I have same opinions. At least we agree that animal testing is horrible and should be stopped.

Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 Danish Gal said:

I don't want anyone to be mislead either, Happydaze. Usually, you and I have same opinions. At least we agree that animal testing is horrible and should be stopped.

The only difference between you and I on this subject is that there are some companies that have proven their efficacy to China using non-animal testing means. They are far and few between because animal testing is, unfortunately, cheaper than non-animal testing means. So, very few companies are willing to spend the extra money to go the non-animal testing route to abide by the Chinese government regulations. Isn't that sad? Those companies just hope their customers will "forgive" them for those "rare" times they test because hey, they don't test otherwise. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Or still others, like Urban Decay, simply sell out to a parent company that does test so they can still "claim" they are cruelty-free but yet are still benefiting from their parent companies animal testing (they share the testing results/information). Slight of hand.

Companies, imo, are often being as convoluted as possible to make it hard for us consumers to make educated choices. And the more educated and aware consumers get, the more "sneaky" the companies get. That is why I appreciate those companies that are transparent- any company that doesn't answer their emails or avoids answering questions for as long as they can (yeah, looking at you IT cosmetics {#emotions_dlg.glare}) or that answer the email with a round-about, non-answer are not trustworthy, imo.

Honored Contributor

Here is a link to the previous discussion about Isomers & animal testing. I have to take it from what is posted that Isomers does not test on animals. Yes I use Isomers & will continue to do so. http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/427745/does-isomers-do-animal-testing.aspx

Esteemed Contributor

PTR does test on animals and many of the brands QVC sells do Many of the companies that bought out the products we once loved ,test on animals and because they sell their products in China or import ingredients from China that means they test on animals.

They lie and say they do not because they tthink we are dumb and do not know what happens in China

I am very careful what I buy. I will not sacrifice an animal for my pleasure ever.

Yes I am vegan,totally!

Don't fall for those dumb excuses those companies make to confuse you.

Honored Contributor

From the IT Cosmetics website:

"Does It Cosmetics test on animals?

We have never and will never test any of our products on animals. We care certified by PETA as a Cruelty Free Company."

Can companies post the "Cruelty Free Bunny" on their websites without be certified as such?

Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

From the IT Cosmetics website:

Does It Cosmetics test on animals?

We have never and will never test any of our products on animals. We care certified by PETA as a Cruelty Free Company.

I don't know if you are directing this at me since I mentioned IT cosmetics but I was referring to their avoidance of my questions regarding the source (animal or plant) of several of their ingredients. Since they do use some animal derived ingredients, I now know why they avoided my question as long as they could. I have a hard time trusting companies that give me the run around.

To me, I don't believe any line is "cruelty free" if they kill animals to source their ingredients. Unfortunately, the accepted definition of "cruelty free" does not take into consideration killing of animals for ingredients so many are mislead to think "cruelty free" means no animals were harmed during the making of said product, but that is simply not true.