Trusted Contributor

I try very hard to avoid products from companies that do animal testing. Sometimes it's a challenge and you get conflicting info. i.e. - Paula posts a list of companies that test on animals, one of which is "Caudalie". I use their products, love them, and their website clearly states that they do not test on or use any animal byproducts. Who to believe? Where can I get accurate information? I seem to lean toward foreign manufacturers since they use more organic and natural products - like Korres, Perlier, Clarins. All these companies' websites are clear in that they are very environmentally and socially responsive, using only organic and natural products. But I can't find anything about animal testing.

Super Contributor

Go to Leaping Bunny web site. They list all companies that do not test on animals. You can also request a pocket guide which I have. It is handy when shopping to ck to see if a company tests on animals. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I think I'd be more prone to trust the actual company's website info as Paula's research could be outdated. You could also email a particular company and ask them.

Regular Contributor

Companies that sell their products in Chine are considered as ones who test on animals. There are changes being made, hopefully in the near future, that will end this policy, but I stlll won't purchase from a company that was willing to test on animals to make money by selling in China.

Contributor

One of my favorite websites to check for this is MyBeautyBunny . com You will find a drop down menu from the top under cruelty free resources that reads Cruelty Free Brands. Scroll down and you will find a few choices to select depending on what you are looking for. There is also a list of companies that sell in China now, and therefore require testing. Korres made that list sometime in the past year I believe. This list is kept current and has lots of big name companies as well as small indie brands.

Honored Contributor
On 12/3/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I think I'd be more prone to trust the actual company's website info as Paula's research could be outdated. You could also email a particular company and ask them.

In this case, the reverse might be true. I found the following on uncaged.co.uk.:

More recently (in 2012) several previously cruelty-free companies (Caudalie, L’occitane, Yves Rocher) returned to testing on animals in order to sell their products in China and Russia – where they demand animal data.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor
There is a FREE phone app called Cruelty-Free that you can download to your phone. I hope this is helpful.
~Smile when the butterfly escapes the killing jar.~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the websites. Boy, China has us on a leash, don't they? They certainly control the market on everything. I was disappointed to see some companies listed that I thought were cruelty-free. I don't understand the logic behind the requirement that cosmetic sold in China had to be animal-tested.???

Regular Contributor

Not only beauty products. Iams dog food uses test animals, the dogs live in cages.

{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Respected Contributor
I hope Caudalie is okay. I am trying them for the first time so I am hoping they dont test on animals. I ordered some from Sephora and thought I read in their description not tested on animals. But I dont remember now as I was looking at a few things. I try my best to avoid those products. I cant believe that is still going on.