Esteemed Contributor

Well Jordan2, I color my own hair and I think it looks a heck of a lot better than the 3 times i have gone to a professional to do it.

If it looks cheap, so be it I guess. I like it, husband likes it and I have other things to spend my money on. I bet yours looks good too. Like some of the other posters have said, i think Dimitri was just trying to make a sale.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, you are blowing this way out of proportion. He's selling a product and he knows most women who are watching used home boxed color. He's trying to scare everyone into buying his shampoo.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

If you think I am too sensitive please feel free to tell me. I was watching a presentation of Dimitri's TTV yesterday (the hair set). He said something that I was bothered by. He was talking about hair coloring, how his shampoo and conditioner was gentle on it. He said box coloring is cheap, coloring your hair with box coloring looks cheap. He then said it doesn't do a good job, and you have a rainbow of colors on your hair. It also doesn't cover the gray well. I use box coloring. Do I use it because I love it, no. Money is tight for me and I make the decision to color my own hair, I rather spend the money on a haircut. I would love to get both my hair colored and cut, but I can't. Dimitri should realize not everyone has the funds to get their hair professionally colored. I just think it was an unkind thing to say, even if it  might be true.

@Jordan2

I hate when vendors sneer at customers and make them feel badly.  What are they thinking?  

Jordan, I don't know you well, but, yes, you might be overly sensitive.    And, yes, he is right, not all women who do box coloring look good.  I saw a woman out shopping today that had such a poorly done home coloring job that I nearly gasped!  

Having said that .........     you're on a budget.   While you can color your own hair and do a good job, I doubt you (or any of us) can do a great job cutting our own hair .... help is required.  

Take what he said with a grain of salt.  He doesn't know you!   

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  I colored my own hair for years with box color to hide the white hair I inherited.....I had to do touch ups every two weeks. Doing it myself was the only way to keep it up well. People commented on the beautiful color my hair was, and they did not even know I colored it unless I told them!

I think Demitri is talking how hair colorist talk.....that nothing is better than paying to have hair color done by a professional.  That is what they want you to think. It is expensive. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Am I Overly Sensitive

[ Edited ]

I like D, but I'm not a fan of sales tactics that make people feel bad about themselves to sell products, i.e. buy this self tanner you people with pasty white skin that makes you look like a fat, flabby, white, fish's belly.

It doesn't make me feel bad about myself because I know it's a sales tactic, but my reaction is something like, if my box color looks so bad, I don't see why I should spend big bucks for your product to put on my cheap looking color.  

@Jordan2, Don't feel bad.  You are not the only one who just can't afford to have her hair professionally colored.  My mother spent a fortune on coloring, but I need to color every three weeks and just can't swing it. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I hope that each of us has someone who would pull us aside and tell us if our hair color or anything else looked cheap or not right. I heard that comment repeatedly yesterday and it never phased me. If I had been sitting in a room with Dimitri and he said that, it may have made me think for a moment but not enough to make me stop coloring my own hair. On another note, many stylists use box color in their salons. Some of them may add something else to the mix but I have seen more than a few open a box and use only the products contained in that box. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  when I hear those types of comments I just think.....   well,  I can't type what I think 

Trusted Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

Dimitri is a dingbat. Color on girlfriends!

Obviously, there is no filter between a thought that pops into Dimitri's head and what immediately comes out of his mouth.  You can't take anything a person like that says seriously and certainly not actually believe what they say!

And, no, I don't give him a pass.  He's hawking his products, yammering about how great they are and then he insults his potential customers by dissing home box hair color.  He's an idiot and I hope you all are not lining his pockets with your hard earned money! 

Honored Contributor
It's basically the same product that you buy in a beauty supply store! He also says that silicone make your hair slide out of the follicle?! Consider the source. I don't take it personally but it infuriates me for the poor model that he says it to every time he puts his hands on her head! If I were Karen I would smack him
Trusted Contributor

I've heard vendors say out right lies to sell a product. He's trying to make a buck,but unfortunately he's insulting a lot of people in doing so. Pay no attention to something that sounds insulting.