Honored Contributor

If you think I am too sensitive please feel free to tell me. I was watching a presentation of Dimitri's TTV yesterday (the hair set). He said something that I was bothered by. He was talking about hair coloring, how his shampoo and conditioner was gentle on it. He said box coloring is cheap, coloring your hair with box coloring looks cheap. He then said it doesn't do a good job, and you have a rainbow of colors on your hair. It also doesn't cover the gray well. I use box coloring. Do I use it because I love it, no. Money is tight for me and I make the decision to color my own hair, I rather spend the money on a haircut. I would love to get both my hair colored and cut, but I can't. Dimitri should realize not everyone has the funds to get their hair professionally colored. I just think it was an unkind thing to say, even if it  might be true.

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2

Any vendor and host on QVC is selling a product.  It is about getting a sale.  Don't internalize or be hurt by Dmitri's comment.  It is his opinion.  

Respected Contributor

I know that I am. Having admitted that, anything a vendor says is designed to sell his line. So don't take it personally and it doesn't mean what they say is definitely factual, applies to you, or anything else. I color my own hair too. The one time I went to a pricy salon, they did a lousy job!

It's like the makeup counters at dept. stores. I still remember every mean comment any of the SAs has made that really hurt my feelings. You know they do it to sell you product to "correct" whatever flaw they just made you feel like ****** about. It's all about selling.

So yes, you and I are too sensitive, your hair looks fine, you are smart with your money and it's hurts their bottom-line - you win!

Respected Contributor

Just want to say that I've seen some people that pay a pretty penny for salon color that doesn't look good! Smiley Wink Don't worry about Dimitri. Was it insensitive? Yes. Was he just trying to make a sale? Yes. You do what works for you, and let the comments roll off your back. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I Overly Sensitive

[ Edited ]

That annoys me also. I used box color with good results the majority of the time.  I stopped coloring because stupid me did not realize not to dye the ends all the time, now my hair will not take color so i am growing it out *sigh*

i was reading an article on salon shampoo vs drugstore  and the lady makes a comment about how box color is ****** and go ahead and use harsh shampoo. Made me kinda mad. 

Respected Contributor

One of my best friends has the most beautiful color of blond hair I've ever seen.  It looks so natural and healthy.  She has her hair cut short and styles it with waves and curls.   I always assumed she had it done at the salon.  When I asked her what colors her stylist mixed, she told me she buys it at Walmart and does it herself.  I was floored.  I will admit I have tried it drugstore brands with disastrous results but the color looks lovely and natural on my friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

If you think I am too sensitive please feel free to tell me. I was watching a presentation of Dimitri's TTV yesterday (the hair set). He said something that I was bothered by. He was talking about hair coloring, how his shampoo and conditioner was gentle on it. He said box coloring is cheap, coloring your hair with box coloring looks cheap. He then said it doesn't do a good job, and you have a rainbow of colors on your hair. It also doesn't cover the gray well. I use box coloring. Do I use it because I love it, no. Money is tight for me and I make the decision to color my own hair, I rather spend the money on a haircut. I would love to get both my hair colored and cut, but I can't. Dimitri should realize not everyone has the funds to get their hair professionally colored. I just think it was an unkind thing to say, even if it  might be true.

@Jordan2 I could care less what he says.  All he wants to do is make a sale and make more money.  I was going to a salon to get my hair colored, but it was costing a fortune and the color didn't last as long as when I was using a box color.  I went back to using my old stand by which costs an average of 2.97 called Color Silk.  That color lasts me a good full three months.  Best hair color going as far as I'm concerned.  If they stop making that product, I'd be up a creek.  

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 take what you hear with a grain of salt.  I colored my hair using over the counter products and now I purchase the color and developer myself and get longer coverage.  I've had my hair colored three separate times in the salong and each time it looked awful.  Do what works for you.

Respected Contributor

Dimitri is a dingbat. Color on girlfriends!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Don't take it personally. In order to sell  their stuff, they have to tell you how bad anything he isn't selling is compared to his. It's just a way of selling.