Honored Contributor

There are ways to say things without dissing other products. He could have said that his shampoo is gentle on all dyed hair and should have left it at that!

Unless he has a dye available for sale from his line of beauty, I would just ignore the comment. If he has hair dyes available, then he is probably pushing sales for it over the box dyes.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

This is exactly how they get us to part with our money -by playing on our emotions, even if we have a stockpile of stuff already. As others have said, he is just trying to make a sale.  I have colored my own hair for the last several years, it looks no different than when I use to get it done at the salon. The only difference is I sometimes miss spots when doing my roots.  It bugs me but I have learned to let it go over the years since I have to color it so often anyway. 

Respected Contributor

People with money don't seem to understand that many of us don't, are just making it and keeping ourselves above water..

Suppose the best way for me to address all this is just stop watching this  so I'm not tempted.

Honored Contributor

I'll be the lone naysayer here but do hear me out: I think if you have long hair or dye your hair a dark/fashion color, then yes, it can look fake and obvious.

I've colored my hair since I was 13; I'm over 50. When my hair was short, it was easy to do. I have naturally dark hair and would use all sorts of shades (even went blond a few times-not a good look). I grew my hair out to shoulder length and still home colored; many women would ask me where I had it done and would be shocked when I said "my bathroom". They would want to know what product and color; I always told them.

Two things happened when I hit my 40's: I grew my hair longer AND my thyroid blew. My hair texture changed and suddenly color didn't take or look good any longer. Didn't matter what brand; it looked flat and patchy; pictures do NOT lie. During a meeting at school with some other women, the subject of hair coloring came up and every woman there admitted that they were going to a salon because of the same issues they were having with their color not looking good.

I do know a few women who color at home; they have light hair and the longest has it just to her shoulders.  It looks great. My dearest friend, however, has dark hair like me and it looks flat and harsh- she is also just about completely grey; I don't know about the other women.

Last, I think color kits have changed quite a bit since I started. I don't remember them being so harsh and... drying (another reason I started going to the salon). I remember the mousse-like color by Clairol (which I used for years) that faded after 14 shampoos or so. LOVED it and was perfect because it was so gentle; it and many other products are gone. I find most don't cover the grey well, fade quickly and leave my hair feeling....gross.

I've seen many a "did it at home job" walk into the salon while I was there and wow.... it DID look bad. It also cost a pretty penny to fix. I've seen women come in with flat dull color hair and leaving with a gorgeous color (no foils or highlights applied). But all these women had medium to dark hair.

In the end, you have to do what works for you. He's a former hair stylist don't forget; they ALL think box coloring is bad. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

If you think I am too sensitive please feel free to tell me. I was watching a presentation of Dimitri's TTV yesterday (the hair set). He said something that I was bothered by. He was talking about hair coloring, how his shampoo and conditioner was gentle on it. He said box coloring is cheap, coloring your hair with box coloring looks cheap. He then said it doesn't do a good job, and you have a rainbow of colors on your hair. It also doesn't cover the gray well. I use box coloring. Do I use it because I love it, no. Money is tight for me and I make the decision to color my own hair, I rather spend the money on a haircut. I would love to get both my hair colored and cut, but I can't. Dimitri should realize not everyone has the funds to get their hair professionally colored. I just think it was an unkind thing to say, even if it  might be true.

Everytime I see Dimitri on my large screen TV. I cringe when I look at his hair.  I don't know who does his color, but it is awful. I can 100% tell his hair is colored.  It looks so unnatural and fake.

i can tell you from professional experience that box color is the same as professional color.  The difference is box color is used as sold.  Professional colorist add a drop of this and a little of that to customize the color.  For instance, green, red, blue and orange is added to standard colors if needed to change the tone, or more than one color is used together.  You are paying for their expertise and experience as they may apply it differently to get different effects and color levels and tones 

Go ahead and use your box color if you are happy with it. There is nothing wrong with it.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I'll be the lone naysayer here but do hear me out: I think if you have long hair or dye your hair a dark/fashion color, then yes, it can look fake and obvious.

I've colored my hair since I was 13; I'm over 50. When my hair was short, it was easy to do. I have naturally dark hair and would use all sorts of shades (even went blond a few times-not a good look). I grew my hair out to shoulder length and still home colored; many women would ask me where I had it done and would be shocked when I said "my bathroom". They would want to know what product and color; I always told them.

Two things happened when I hit my 40's: I grew my hair longer AND my thyroid blew. My hair texture changed and suddenly color didn't take or look good any longer. Didn't matter what brand; it looked flat and patchy; pictures do NOT lie. During a meeting at school with some other women, the subject of hair coloring came up and every woman there admitted that they were going to a salon because of the same issues they were having with their color not looking good.

I do know a few women who color at home; they have light hair and the longest has it just to her shoulders.  It looks great. My dearest friend, however, has dark hair like me and it looks flat and harsh- she is also just about completely grey; I don't know about the other women.

Last, I think color kits have changed quite a bit since I started. I don't remember them being so harsh and... drying (another reason I started going to the salon). I remember the mousse-like color by Clairol (which I used for years) that faded after 14 shampoos or so. LOVED it and was perfect because it was so gentle; it and many other products are gone. I find most don't cover the grey well, fade quickly and leave my hair feeling....gross.

I've seen many a "did it at home job" walk into the salon while I was there and wow.... it DID look bad. It also cost a pretty penny to fix. I've seen women come in with flat dull color hair and leaving with a gorgeous color (no foils or highlights applied). But all these women had medium to dark hair.

In the end, you have to do what works for you. He's a former hair stylist don't forget; they ALL think box coloring is bad. 

Hmmm,I am a licensed stylist who specialized in coloring and corrective color and I don't think box color is so bad.  It's the poor choice in choosing the wrong color or poor application that can make it look bad 

Honored Contributor

Yes, you are too sensitive.

If you take everything every vendor says as absolute truth you would buy every single product from each and every one of them. Bottom line - they are ALL highly skilled salespeople. Remember that.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  I didn't say it was bad; I said the coloring (be it application or the shade) can look bad.  

And it often does. I'll add that dark/flat color on older women AND men can look harsh as well; doesn't matter if it's from a box or a stylist.

Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I Overly Sensitive

[ Edited ]

I know you watch Dimitri on occasion @Jordan2 ...so I'm sure you're aware he's a very sensitive, kind, and generous individual. 

He's on Evine for hours upon hours when the Skinn shows are scheduled so I have to cut him some slack.  Also, his whole life has been centered around beauty/skincare so I'm sure his opinions can be slanted, based on his little corner of the world.

I heard the comment you speak of.  He was rambling on about his haircare and how it's formulated ....yada yada yada....always a mile a minute!Woman Wink  I'm sure he's completely unaware that what he said would attack anyone's sensibilities.  Using blanket statements leaves lots of room for exceptions.Woman Wink

I can't say I totally disagree with him, but my experience has been very different.  So much with coloring depends on the condition of the hair, what shade you choose, how far it is from your natural color, and how many chemicals are needed to achieve it.  My experience with professional colorists hasn't been good here so my results were always much more natural with boxed coloring.  I'm not crazy about what Dimitri is doing with his "mane" lately so if that's an example of what he's talking about  No thanks.Woman LOL

I hope you won't take the comments to heart as I really feel that's a waste of time on your part.  You know your own hair and what you like and you're certainly not beholden to Dimitri or anyone else for what you choose.   I don't know about you, but if I can duplicate a service for less money and like it more....cheap is a compliment, babyWoman LOL!!Heart

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

There's really nothing wrong with being sensitive about what someone says. It's the rare person who hasn't felt like that at one time or another. Just don't mull it over too long. :-)

And I really don't think this thread was meant to become a discussion of one method vs. another but about words that either shouldn't have been said or should have been said with more thoughtfulness.

I doubt that he meant any offense whatsoever, but that doesn't necessarily help the person who feels bad at hearing someone say that. Glad you got it out of your system by posting. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland