Valued Contributor

Carmex lip balm and sunscreen will be her best friends. For me and my family, the benefits, by far, out weighed any risk. Of course, keep good communication with her. I'm sure she will discuss any unusual that may come up.

Good luck. When all is said and done, I bet she will be SO glad she did this.

Super Contributor

Had tried antibiotics, topical treatments, etc. Nothing fixed my skin like Acutane. One 6-month round was all it took. Yes, during those 6 months my skin was still bad and I lost a good bit of my hair, but once treatment was over it was IMMEDIATELY wonderful skin and has remained that way since. My hair grew right back in. I am so thankful this was an option for me.

Frequent Contributor
On 10/30/2014 bandmomof3 said:

My son took Accutane about 2 years ago when he was 19. His derm told us what some of the side effects were, but also said they were rare and sometimes couldn't be traced to strictly Accutane. After discussions with my son and the derm, we decided to give it a try. The monthly monitoring was helpful; they did all the "medical testing" to be sure the medicine was doing it's job, but my son also spent time with one of the nurse practitioners in the office (he had the same one each time) who talked about life in general, how he was feeling, etc. I think that helped keep somewhat of a track of his emotional state. Of course, I had a very open discussion with my son up front and felt like there was a good understanding of the side effects and how I hoped he would let me know if he was having strange feelings. I also warned him that I may be "watching" him more closely for signs of stress and that I hoped he understood and would humor me! I felt he knew it was out of love for him that I was willing to try the medicine yet watch for bad side effects. The nurse practitioner also gave my son her office phone number that he was to call if he ever had questions or felt like he needed to talk.

I have to tell you that he saw small results very quickly (I can't remember exactly..thinking a little over a week but may be wrong on that) and it was SUCH a moral booster for him! He did have dry lips but I bought Burts Bees as the nurse practitioner suggested and he used it all the time. That was about the only true side effect I noticed. He didn't really have extremely dry skin, and he started in October and went through the winter.

From my experience with my son, Accutane was the best thing that happened to him. It was a quick, thorough solution to an issue that had been plaguing him throughout high school.

Good luck with your decision. Good communication is a key player here, I think...both with derm and patient.

Shari

Thank you for posting this Shari!

Frequent Contributor

I want to thank each of you who posted. Good and bad, I need to hear it! I so appreciate you all taking the time to give me your wonderful insights!

Occasional Contributor

My 15-year-old son is on his second month of Accutane. It is actually the generic or a different form as Accutane is not sold anymore. So far he has experienced dry lips and dry skin. Other than that he has had no problems. I was quite nervous at first. I spoke with our pharmacist, and he made me feel much better about it. The doctor checks him every month and does a blood test. I am keeping very close tabs on his emotions and behaviors. So far he's doing great! We are starting to see some improvement in his skin. Nothing else worked before. My husband had severe acne and scarring. I am hoping my son can avoid this.

Good luck!

Mary

I read all the negatives about Accutane and was very hesitant to have my 18 year old son on the drug. He suffered with severe acne for 4 years and we tried every treatment including both oral and topical antibiotics...nothing worked and he was miserable. As soon as he went away to college, he took things into his own hands, found a dermatologist and started on Accutane. He took the medication for 5 months and the only adverse reaction he suffered was dry skin, nothing Aquaphor couldn't remedy. His skin is now great, his self-esteem incredible I wish that I started him on this treatment years earlier!

Contributor
On 10/31/2014 Chihuahualuv said:
On 10/30/2014 bandmomof3 said:

My son took Accutane about 2 years ago when he was 19. His derm told us what some of the side effects were, but also said they were rare and sometimes couldn't be traced to strictly Accutane. After discussions with my son and the derm, we decided to give it a try. The monthly monitoring was helpful; they did all the "medical testing" to be sure the medicine was doing it's job, but my son also spent time with one of the nurse practitioners in the office (he had the same one each time) who talked about life in general, how he was feeling, etc. I think that helped keep somewhat of a track of his emotional state. Of course, I had a very open discussion with my son up front and felt like there was a good understanding of the side effects and how I hoped he would let me know if he was having strange feelings. I also warned him that I may be "watching" him more closely for signs of stress and that I hoped he understood and would humor me! I felt he knew it was out of love for him that I was willing to try the medicine yet watch for bad side effects. The nurse practitioner also gave my son her office phone number that he was to call if he ever had questions or felt like he needed to talk.

I have to tell you that he saw small results very quickly (I can't remember exactly..thinking a little over a week but may be wrong on that) and it was SUCH a moral booster for him! He did have dry lips but I bought Burts Bees as the nurse practitioner suggested and he used it all the time. That was about the only true side effect I noticed. He didn't really have extremely dry skin, and he started in October and went through the winter.

From my experience with my son, Accutane was the best thing that happened to him. It was a quick, thorough solution to an issue that had been plaguing him throughout high school.

Good luck with your decision. Good communication is a key player here, I think...both with derm and patient.

Shari

Thank you for posting this Shari!

My pleasure! I remember feeling very torn when this option was presented to us, so I think I know where you are. At the time, I asked around to my friends and appreciated their stories and experiences, so I am glad my son's experience may help you.

Everyone has to do what they think is best, that is the bottom line. However, my son really got "down" on himself with his acne, and he became very introverted for awhile. He knew some friends who were on Accutane, so really wanted to try it; that in itself helped his morale when I agreed. Then, when he saw such wonderful results (and two years later is still clear), his confidence is back and he just commented last month like he feels like a different person now. Once when he was heading out the door recently, I told him he looked handsome, and he stopped and said to me "you know, I finally think maybe I am". Our family definitely isn't "all about the looks" so we always treated him the same no matter what his skin looked like. But the fact that he feels good about himself means the world to me.

Again, good luck as you decide. It isn't an easy one and there will be many opinions. I do think the fact that there have been some side effects early on have helped more awareness as the patient goes through treatment. More safeguards seem to be in place now than years ago. Plus, I have a son so we didn't have to worry about the whole pregnancy thing.

Have a wonderful weekend...

Shari

Contributor

The fact that you have misgivings enough to post here should be enough of a red flag. If I knew what I know now I would never have taken it. I have seen a teenager become suicidal and have his life ruined from it. Read the complete side-effects drug insert. Why does everyone assume they will be the one w/o them? Yes- MD's downplay and even lie about the potential risks. There are massive amounts of options to try on-line now at holistic, alternative web-sites such as naturalnews.c, mercola.c, greenlifemed.....on and ON. Detoxing ones body as well as all personal care products is so impt. Sure people might not recognize LONG-term side-effects, and their cysts are gone and psychologically benefited- BUT come on it's just zits. What's more impt- the whole body or zits? Dermatologists used to use RADIATION for zits which caused thyroid cancer. Real winners- right?

Contributor

If you decide to have your daughter try it, monitor her eyesight and the condition of her eyes very carefully. Two weeks on Accutane resulted in burning, dry eyes and the loss of my night vision for a year. I was very lucky that no permanent damage was done. I was not warned about this side effect. If I could go back in time, I would never have taken it.

Super Contributor

You mentioned that your daughter has heavy periods as well as acne, both of which can be symptoms of PCOS.