Honored Contributor

I just have pretty common highlighted light brown hair and I don't really expect the Wen to hold the highlights.  I alternate Wen with a shampoo/conditioner anyway, Jellua with squid ink, from my stylist.  I'm using the Wen for help with dry hair, but not happy with 100% Wen use. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A puzzle for WEN users

[ Edited ]

I have highlights in my hair which is COLOR, not bleach, and they never fade- I only have to do touchups on my roots every few months. But this has been the case even when not using WEN. I think water quality and the products you use and the type/brand/quality of your highlights/color will determine if it fades or not  and if you have to re-dor the color/highlights on  the whole length of the hair or just root touch ups.. It is so much better on your hair if you can only touch up the roots rather than have to re-apply it to the whole length of hair.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I can't figure this one out -  I don't watch or use WEN but have clicked on the Q over the years to see what's going on.  Again today - Maria (the older blond) was in the chair and Chaz (again) said .......since "X" years ago Maria has not had to color her hair again since using WEN, except for root touch-ups. 

OKAY - I high-light my hair too BUT after a couple of cuttings my fake color is gone - hair grows - and color gets cut off with the hair.....then it's time for another color appointment.  Doesn't Maria's hair grow out and eventually the color goes with it?

The answer to your question is within your own statement. Hair grows and root touch-ups color the new growth. Color doesn't get cut off, hair that's colored gets cut off. As the roots get touched up and the hair becomes longer, the part that gets colored with the last root touch-up moves further down the head.

Root touch-ups only don't work for me. I use WEN, but I also use boxed dye and color my naturally brown hair a coppery red shade. My color always fades from the first week to the third week. If I dyed just my roots, it would be completely obvious. Red fades more than any other color because of the size of the molecules, so I don't question Maria's color as much as all the redheads on Chaz's shows.