Honored Contributor

A gray hair question..........

[ Edited ]

I'm contemplating making a change in my hair color in the near future.  My hair is currently brown and I'm about 25-30% grey.  For the past 8 years, I've been coloring it a warm brown with Revlon Colorsilk. 

I've been very pleased with my haircolor, but instead of an overall color, I'm thinking of adding blonde highights to camoflauge the gray - and no longer doing an all over color.   My thoughts are when the gray grows in, it will mix with the blonde highlights.

I don't know if this will work or if I need to just stick with what I'm currently doing.  I thought a change would be nice though.   Here's a picture below of a highighted brunette.  

Will the gray blend in with the blonde highlights?

(ETA - I would go to a hairstylist to do this.  I would never do this on my own.)

highlights.PNG

Respected Contributor

Re: A gray hair question..........

[ Edited ]

I have been thinking of adding some blonde highlights. I don't have much gray,  but so far nothing has covered it at all. It's like the color just slides right off.  Will be interested in what others have to say and may follow your lead! The photo posted looks a bit too   "stripey" to me though. I would want something blended in more so it looks more natural.

Esteemed Contributor

NICE COLOR AND A COOL WAY TO GROW OUT GRAY HAIR San Antonia Gal

Super Contributor

I would go to a trusted hairdresser who has experience with color for a complimentary consultation & proceed from there

Honored Contributor

There are things that can be done to blend the gray in although not something I would attempt on my own.  I know our former choir director's wife's brother was a hairdresser and he changed her color slightly to blend better with her roots because she was no longer able to get to see him as often to do her hair because he was at the other end of the state.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes ....the gray will blend with blonde highlights...

Respected Contributor

You will have blonde highlights with grey roots and brown hair with grey roots.

When I decided I was done with coloring my naturally dark brown hair, the beautician said my best choices were just to cut it short and let whatever it is grow in, or color it light blonde with lighter blonde and platinum highlights.

I chose the blonde route and my friends thought it was great. I felt strange being blonde. It took about 18 months, constantly changing the mix of blonde/light blonde/platinum before she could start letting natural grey come in.

Frequent Contributor

I would say it depends on how much gray you have in your natural hair.  For me, I have a lot and when I just did highlights I started to look like a three color cat. 😂.  So I accomplish the look you show in your picture with full head color and foiled in highlights.  Because of my gray (very evident when the salons were closed because of Covid), I have a silver racing stripe very noticeable at my part!   Of course there is maintenance involved, which I don't mind. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal - I like it!  Think it woud look great!

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I don't post on the beauty forum, but your question caught my interest. I started going gray in college and started coloring my hair in my late 30's, so I've been secretly gray for many years. When I decided to go gray, my hairdresser suggested I gradually lighten my hair until the color change wouldn't be so noticeable. Over the Covid lockdowns I went gray. The transition was painless. I'll bet if you lightened your hair color and added the highlighting, you could make a successful transition. As others have suggested, check with your hairdresser. They have seen it all.