Trusted Contributor

3rd time doing roots (3 months)

I apply once a month, the first two times I shampooed my hair after. Someone posted she doesn’t, I reread directions and it says to rinse and condition as needed.
My hair was fine with shampooing, this time I followed directions and rinsed only.

Side note I use Clairol med brown 5 color and purchased 5G (golden brown) by mistake. I used 1/2 tube med 5 and 1/4 tube golden5G, it gave subtle highlights. Blended well.
I usually use half of tube because I have very little to cover.
My husband is still trimming my back( past shoulder) and I’m trimming front. Im enjoying saving money, and letting my layers grow out. My gal always talked me into layers and I always wanted 1 length.
Anyone else doing color first time? Tired, feeling good?
Frequent Contributor

Re: 3rd time doing roots (3 months)

I am doing the same. My hair hasn't been this long in a long time. My stylist always talked me into layers and I like it better without. I haven't been brave enough to let my husband cut it yet! I use a Loreal Champagne blonde. I put conditioner on my ends and do not put new color on the ends. I rinse only, then use conditioner. It looks really good I think. Also really enjoying the savings. Going to the hair salon and having color done in a mask sounds awful. 

Honored Contributor

Using root touch up on my hair too. Wouldn't want to be in the public eye (like a TV anchor) with it, but it's good enough for me.

Respected Contributor

Not coloring (I went natural a couple years ago) but my daughter came and trimmed my short pixie cut a couple times with a Flowbie and clippers. She is obviously not a hair stylist but it turned out really good - much better than the grown out straggly hair it had turned into.  My salon opens Monday and I told my daughter I’ll miss her cheap haircuts!  😁

Esteemed Contributor

I used Clairol light brown root cover, twice; half the box for each application. Worked well for me. Have a cut & color appointment Monday. Missing my layers and my side bangs are so long! Taking precautions. Glad to have a professional do my hair.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Occasional Contributor

Same here growing all my layers sides out

@springers wrote:
I apply once a month, the first two times I shampooed my hair after. Someone posted she doesn’t, I reread directions and it says to rinse and condition as needed.
My hair was fine with shampooing, this time I followed directions and rinsed only.

Side note I use Clairol med brown 5 color and purchased 5G (golden brown) by mistake. I used 1/2 tube med 5 and 1/4 tube golden5G, it gave subtle highlights. Blended well.
I usually use half of tube because I have very little to cover.
My husband is still trimming my back( past shoulder) and I’m trimming front. Im enjoying saving money, and letting my layers grow out. My gal always talked me into layers and I always wanted 1 length.
Anyone else doing color first time? Tired, feeling good?
I am coloring myself for once and saving. I know whenever I ask to cut 2 to 3 inches off they only cut like an an inch. Another stylist who had to cut my hair once even said your hair is way to long and I am almost 60. Growing out all layers and bangs want it thicker and easier.
Respected Contributor

@springers  I have always colored my own hair at home and I always shampoo right after coloring it.  Never had any problems with doing it this way.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Super Contributor

I started coloring my hair when I was 18 and I've been coloring it ever since (I'm now 77).  I always wash after coloring, and at the salon, they wash after coloring as well.  I don't think its possible to get all the residue out of the hair and scalp without shampoo.

Valued Contributor

I've done my own color since high school. 

You would think with all those years of experience I would know better not to let too much time go between applications, but apparently not. 

What a mess Smiley Embarassed. I've been a dirty blonde color with random lighter highlights for a couple of decades now-other than my one brief and accidental foray into fire engine/cartoon red. My original hair color is dark brown-almost-black. Waiting months in between applications has caused me to go back to start and after finally applying my color recently I ended up with a light brownish/orangish color. And it covered my lighter strands completely. Smiley Frustrated

If memory serves me right it will take me another two applications to get back to dirty blonde and then I can start replacing the random strands. I haven't had to do the highlighting part in over a decade; nature always took care of that. I ruined that, and I'm not in the salt water/sun enough this year to count on nature to help me out. 

At least it will give me something to do, figuring it all out again lol...

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Any hair color that isn't a professional hair color does not have the staying power. I learned that years ago. When I get my hair professionallly colored in a salon it'll last forever. When I used to color my own hair with a box bought at a drug store I'd be lucky if it lasted a month. 

"Pure Michigan"