Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition Glad your baby's okay now; it's so important to have a good vet! Oh it was such a pretty day today.

I'm not using the stroller now because I had to leave home and move temporarily into my mom's house and I didn't have room to bring it. TBH I'm not sure Liza really cared about it but OTOH, there's a garden cart here I could use to tote her. I took her outside while ago, but she fussed to come back inside.

I have to find somebody to mow the yard here.

I've got to think of something to get at the store to cook (just for myself), but nothing sounds good to me. It seems like I'm just sick of food. I'm not sick or anything, though....thank God.

I actually saw a SNAKE in the back yard today - shiver - the neighbor had really high grass and they finally mowed it so I guess the snake just eased on over here.....gives me the creeps!

I hope your day is wonderful! xo

Boop

Esteemed Contributor

Re: @qvcaddition

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic 

So sorry you had to move.  I hope you enjoy your stay with your mom.

The snake would  also scare me .

Melanie is better and eating again. I love this vets office. The receptionist at the front desk are great.  They call you back and when you need to talk with Doc. They get her. They called ftttt or two days to see how she was doing.

Because Silver Paws covers certain vets for low income seniors, I didn't have to pay for lab work.

The Dr. said her kidneys are fine, where the vet I didn't get along with said, her kidneys were failing and tried to sell me so much stuff that I declined.

Her liver is up, but it has been going up for a few years and she is on meds for that.

As far as cooking for one, I get a big chicken when on sale and roast it with lemons and rosemary and wine and it last for a few meals.

I keep a case of soup from costco on hand when I don't feel like cooking.

I will have steak broiled twice a month. I shop for the whole month.

Alternate months, I get a big salmon cut up and have that for about 4 days.

I will go vegatarian for a few days.  Also, eggs with toast and potatoes.

I am use to cooking for myself, but make enough to freeze or last a few days. 

A few times a month, my one son who turned 63 yesterday, will cook me Mexican food, enough for a few days, or his famous split pea soup or lasagne.  

Yesterday was his birthday and he had Dental work done, so I am taking him to lunch tomorrow.  

I use to have to mow the lawn, but when I got in my 70's, I rocked the whole front yard.

Well, I hope things get better for you.  Is your mom sick for you to have to move to her house or just settling affairs?

Thank care.  Give Liza a big hug from me and Melanie and to you also. xo

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition Hi, sorry it's been so long since I posted! I hope you and your fur baby are well. I am doing well and so is Liza; a lot going on but most of it is personal, and so I can't go into it here.

The good news is, my husband is finally retiring and will be here tomorrow, so no more working away from home. I'm so happy.

I'm bad about cooking for one, would you believe I made a pot of soup for myself and ended up throwing the whole thing out??? I just didn't want it! It seems like I can't find anything that tastes good and so I just snack.

We had lots of rain from all those storms but no damage, thank goodness.

How are your Tai Chi classes going, how is your son?

XOXO

Boop

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic 

A lot is going on. For one, I got shingles, but on the road to recovery. You can read it under the Wellness blog.  I am on the meds for it and getting better. i was misdiagnosed by my Dr for months.  They are very stressed out at the Dr.s .office.  Not enough help, yet people in the medical field are getting laid off. My Daughter in law lost her job after 22 years and she is 60.

With all her experience and contacts, she still cannot find work. 

As far as cooking for one self, I just made a big pot of lentil soup and so good.  I have been cooking for myself for over 20 years.

Sometime I get a prepared meal for the nights too tired to cook. 

I also prepare stuff like soups on days i'm not running around and freeze some for other times.

It is hard to start out by yourself when you are use to cooking for two.

Glad your husband retiring.  It will give you someone to do for and company.

Glad Liza OK. 

Mel has been having problems, but with the meds I give her, I have learned how to handle it.  When you lived alone and no one to help, you learn how to survive or you will go downhill fast. 

I am glad even when I was married, I learn how to be independent, because when he passed it was not hard doing for myself.

It's great to have a partner, but women and men have to be a little independent, so the shock of being alone doesn't overcome you.

Sounds like you had some alone time with your husband working away from home.  Glad things are looking up for you. Happy to hear from you.

Got to run, it's 10Am and have to start the day. Dt. office calling today to get my BP reading. Was a little high at my visit.  Also getting ready for my Covid vaccine next week.  I drink a lot of water and never had a reaction to them.

Hugs, xo 

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic 

Mel and I just got back from our walk and still have a full day, but wanted to add.  You will not be alone now with hubby coming home.  If you ever are, could you just cook like you would if you were cooking for hubby and freezed the rest.   I do this, or cook one meal that last for a few days.

I will make pork chops with a nice gravy and have veggies, rice or mash potatoes.  I will cook to were this will be my meal for a couple of days.

Hopefully, with him retired, things can settle down for you and get back in a routine you are used to and happy.  xo.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition Thank you, you are so sweet. I enjoy hearing from you.

I've just never been one to cook for myself.

I also made some spaghetti around the time I made soup and I ended up throwing that out, too, after I ate it one time! It just didn't taste good to me.

Are you expecting company for Mother's Day? To me, it's just another day. I imagine your son, the one who makes cheesecake, will drop in on you and Mel.

I'm so sorry to read you have shingles! I'm going to go to the Wellness forum and read about it. xoxo

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic 

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@qvcadditionThank you, you are so sweet. I enjoy hearing from you.

I've just never been one to cook for myself.

I also made some spaghetti around the time I made soup and I ended up throwing that out, too, after I ate it one time! It just didn't taste good to me.

Are you expecting company for Mother's Day? To me, it's just another day. I imagine your son, the one who makes cheesecake, will drop in on you and Mel.

I'm so sorry to read you have shingles! I'm going to go to the Wellness forum and read about it. xoxo

I hope your day was OK. I went out to brunch with my two sons.  It was good.  My one son, the one who cooks, bought a couple days meal for me and a nice red rose.  I am not close to the older one, his choice, not mine.

He retires this year or next from Xfinity.  We use to be close, but he has his hands full with a wife who is not 60 and has Alzheimer's and he works from home and takes care of her. It's hard for him. He will be 65 this Aug.  The other son is 63 and is retired already. He worked for the city and took an early retirement.  

Brunch was good.  Came home, took melanie for a walk and then sat and am writing my memoirs. Letting them know about old San Francisco in the 40's, 50's. Not the mess it is today.  So it's been a nice peaceful relaxing day.  Tomorrow, back to the grind, but lucky to be alive and well as could be  and active at my age.  Felt good to dress up and eat out.

Some people don't like to cook and that's OK.  My best friend who is gone, was Italian and hated to cook.  I would make some Italian food and bring it to her. 

She was from Rome and married an American soldier during the war and came to the US.  Her family was wealthy and they had maids and a cook, so she never learned how and didn't want to learn.  To each their own.

Give Liza a hug and to you. xo

Trusted Contributor

@qvcadditon, I forgot to add above, yes I agree with your suggestion of cooking a meal and freezing the rest instead of trying to "cook for one." Makes much more sense.

So if I'm in that situation again I'll take your advice.

I'm not opposed to cooking but my husband loves to cook! The kitchen is his domain - he's so good at it and could actually be a chef, I believe. He has a lot of talents and abilities.

It's good to be together again. I'm grateful to God to have such a wonderful husband.

I hope you have a beautful evening.

xo

441536105_1019041789584056_314351218509897103_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic 

So glad your husband is home with you. Sounds like he is a wonderful man and you are very fortunate. I'm sure he feels the same about you. 

I'm still on another week of pills for the shingles, but it's getting better.

I don't have the head pain or have to wear a neck brace anymore.

I like my Dr., but she sure didn't listen to me months ago.  They are so stressed.  

You have a good day with your hubby and the dogs.  Hugs to all. xo

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition There's hope for me yet, just a quick post to report that I made some mayonnaise biscuits yesterday - from scratch - and they were actually good! LOL *Yahoo*  happy0005.gif