Honored Contributor

Is 66 old?  If so I disagree...I just got back from a week in Florida. I flew, the plane was full both ways.  My girl friend and I had a great time catching up.    Now that I am back home, life will resume..back to work, church, etc.  Do not let covid take over your life.

Life it what you make of it, and I would never say that I do not get bored or lonesome.    I do understand if your friends have passed or moved.  Several good friends have moved due to retirement, and I really miss them.   Friends are very important.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Speaking for myself, I did not mean to imply that there is some easy quick fix for the trials of being old. In fact I was very well acquainted with the issues that seniors face, even before I came one. Professionally I was an RN with many years experience caring for the elderly. So I apologize if my posts sounded glib or cliched to you. That was not my intention. 
Filling my retirement with volunteering, book clubs, church and other activities is doable for me at this time. That will likely change over time. Actually it's hard for me to say no, as I am a people pleaser by nature. Currently I'm in good health, my few medical issues are controlled with meds. Im certainly slower than when I was younger, and have less stamina for physical activity.
I stand by my remarks that doing something for others helps take you out of your own problems. Gives you and the recipients a little lift. Yet in your case it sounds like you're exhausted, depleted, from bearing the burden of caring for others without any respite, for so many years. This is very common in my experience. It can be soul-sucking. 

I hope that you and the other lonely or emotionally drained ladies who spoke about their lives, can get some relief or peace soon. ❤️ *Suzy

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Sooner  Speaking for myself, I did not mean to imply that there is some easy quick fix for the trials of being old. In fact I was very well acquainted with the issues that seniors face, even before I came one. Professionally I was an RN with many years experience caring for the elderly. So I apologize if my posts sounded glib or cliched to you. That was not my intention. 
Filling my retirement with volunteering, book clubs, church and other activities is doable for me at this time. That will likely change over time. Actually it's hard for me to say no, as I am a people pleaser by nature. Currently I'm in good health, my few medical issues are controlled with meds. Im certainly slower than when I was younger, and have less stamina for physical activity.
I stand by my remarks that doing something for others helps take you out of your own problems. Gives you and the recipients a little lift. Yet in your case it sounds like you're exhausted, depleted, from bearing the burden of caring for others without any respite, for so many years. This is very common in my experience. It can be soul-sucking. 

I hope that you and the other lonely or emotionally drained ladies who spoke about their lives, can get some relief or peace soon. ❤️ *Suzy

@fairydogmother Thank you for your perceptive and sweet reply.  You said it well.   I've dealt with decisions, finances, and feduciary matters as well as being executor  for people.  

It's always a situation with no good answers or good decisions.  It's only the best you can do, waiting for the other shoe to drop, dealing with frustrations of paperwork and financial burdens the result of bad decisions people made.  

We've been at this since 1992, one funeral director told me once in sympathy that "It's always you and your husband who are here" and that shocked me.  I guess it's an impending sense of doom, no matter how you try to count blessings (of which we have many) and be upbeat it's there. 

And the youngest of elderly parents on both sides, family is gone (we buried them), except for two.  

Honored Contributor

I am responding from the viewpoint of my 87 year old mother with late stage dementia, who agrees that getting old is awful.   

Mom became a widow at 70.   After being a caregiver for her entire family, and my dad, Mom took control of her own life and did things that made her happy.  She got involved with church activities, lunched with friends, visited with shut in friends, and made decisions without having to think about others first.  

Mom enjoyed about 7 years of this lifestyle before a mini stroke caused things to change.   First came the early signs of mental changes.  Then one day I followed Mom home from town which led me to strongly urge her to stop driving, because she was aware of nothing around her as she drove.   More and more things got lost in the house, her debit and credit cards were declined because they had expired and she had shredded the new ones, "because she already had cards in her wallet".   My brother gets a call that her washer is broken; it wouldn't accommodate the comforter Mom tried to wash, that had always been taken to the laundrymat before that day- - "oh, she forgot".   A sizeable check got returned to her because she thought an EOB was a bill, which is when her checkbook went into my brothers hands.   

Four years ago I alerted our doctor to the now noticeable mental changes, which resulted in a vascular dementia diagnosis, which has progressed significantly.   I can no longer assume my Mom knows anything; to her, Aleve is a prescription med, she can look at the clock and tell you it's 2:00 or 2:30, but if it's 2:10, she will say it's 2:2.   Mom has ruined 70% of her clothing because she confuses the bleach jug with the laundry detergent, and she does not function well at all outside the walls of her home.  And my stories can go on and on of what happens on a daily basis.  

Several years ago we had a poster friend on this board who was going thru the same stages of decline as my Mom, and drew a lot of concern.  She disappeared and had many of us wondering what happened; I've always thought I knew what happened, which is very likely to happen to my Mom, despite the efforts of my family who are trying so hard to care for our mother.   

So I urge everyone to keep your mind and body active; go, and do while you can.  If you can't visit in person, call people; talk, laugh, LIVE.   Get out of the house, walk.  If you still drive, make a daily trip to DQ for an ice cream cone, just to get out of the house and focus on something else besides the four walls!   With one breath, one beat of our heart, our lives and the lives of those we love, can be forever changed!

Respected Contributor

Some 40 years ago a friend called me to ask if I would be interested in joining a group exploring the possibility of buying an apartment building for our old age. It would be rented out to tenants in the meantime, and if and when we needed it, we would move in. Then we would live cooperatively, like old hippies.

I was in my early 30s and old age never entered my mind. 

She only got about five people who were interested.

Today, living alone, I think that might have been an interesting option. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Is 66 old?  If so I disagree...I just got back from a week in Florida. I flew, the plane was full both ways.  My girl friend and I had a great time catching up.    Now that I am back home, life will resume..back to work, church, etc.  Do not let covid take over your life.

@Mom2Dogs 

I totally agree with your above paragraph. 

hckynut 

Life is what you make of it, and I would never say that I do not get bored or lonesome.    I do understand if your friends have passed or moved.  Several good friends have moved due to retirement, and I really miss them.   Friends are very important.

This above paragraph? Some of it.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@RedTop I know which poster your are referring to and yes, I think it got too much for her son to deal with and he couldn't keep her safe.  I hope she got where she needed to be.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop 

Went with this from my 18th year. Much to the chagrin of my mother. She was a "save for your future". I was/am:

"Man was born to live, not prepare for life".

That for me has not and will not change at anytime. Tomorrow I may not be able to function the way I can today. Why would I want to wait till???  I don't/won't.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Sooner  you may not know this but I've been on the Q forums for probably twenty plus years. I feel like I "know"you. I was smoochy for a long time. 
You have often been a voice of reason and sensibility here. Which I've always appreciated. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Sooner  you may not know this but I've been on the Q forums for probably twenty plus years. I feel like I "know"you. I was smoochy for a long time. 
You have often been a voice of reason and sensibility here. Which I've always appreciated. 

@fairydogmother Thank you so much for reminding me who you are!  Yes, we do go back a long long way!  I am so happy you are around!

You made my day, because I try to use this board to be a more reasonable human.  Maybe sometimes it works.

I learn a lot here, and the variety of people helps me understand the world and think about what I "know"--or don't! I have friends here who don't live where I live, don't think like I think, and have different insights and experiences.