Super Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Some 40 years ago a friend called me to ask if I would be interested in joining a group exploring the possibility of buying an apartment building for our old age. It would be rented out to tenants in the meantime, and if and when we needed it, we would move in. Then we would live cooperatively, like old hippies.

I was in my early 30s and old age never entered my mind. 

She only got about five people who were interested.

Today, living alone, I think that might have been an interesting option. 

I have recently watched a movie where a lady who was married forever was divorced by her husband.  She was lost at first.  Then she inherited a huge house and turned it into a senior living community. Her husband and son tried to force her to sell it.  She refused and it turned out to be a happy and well functioning "Hippie" community.  I think this would be a great idea as long as people manage to get along.  There are not enough senior communities escpecially for single women.

Super Contributor

Even though I am married I have been alone most of my life.  My husband was career Army and gone most ot the time.  I learned to be alone and manage my life even in a foreign country.  Once he retired living together was the problem.  One thing that still bothers me to this day is the fact that as women, espcecially living alone, we seem to be natural victims.  It seems as a single woman just about everybody tries to take advantage of you or cheat you. Whether it's car repairs or any other business.   I go out to eat by myself and a couple of years ago I overheard a waiter talking to his collegue that he can't understand why people go out to eat alone.  "Why would they do that?"  Needless to say I educated the young man and I am sure he will never question another customer eating alone. 

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT:  I always enjoy reading your responses. I had  an elderly friend that was like another Mother to me. When my Mother died in 1977 and I was 22 single and alone: she advised me to do this: You are entitled to a pitty party and being sad and depressed but don't let it control you. When you are crying or whatever: set an alarm clock for 15 minutes to cry, be depressed or what ever. Then get up - wash your face and do something: anything to stay busy and distracted. If you don't have the money to go out: Write a schedule to stay busy. I always dreaded Friday because so many of my friends were going shopping , movies .  So back then before coming home from work: I picked up a large cheese pizza for $5 to eat during the weekend. I'd eat. Then cleaned house, completed laundry and prepared my meals for the work week. I was single but had two crockpots.  I would sleep in on Saturday. My friends always gave me the books they had read and a lot of dvds. I spent the rest of the weekend binge reading and watching movies. This helped a lot but yes some days still felt lonely . I know this isn't for everyone. I needed to stay busy to not focus on my stressful job and what I couldn't afford to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee, I have always admired your wonderful spirit.

You have a can-do attitude, and you always do so much to help others.  How I wish there were more like you in this world!

Lubs you, honey!