Valued Contributor

When I was young and younger I remember my father saying on many occasions..."Life is a problem and this is the test of it, he is the wisest who just makes the best of it."  We have problems and issues at every age and our senior years certainly are challenge filled.  I try and maintain a schedule.  Maybe my three dogs do that for me.  My eyesight is not good, the aches and pains continue but it can always be worse.  Isolation due to the virus is terrible but at some point that will stop.  I feel bad for the young folks losing out on social activities and having to wear masks...just not a normal life for our kids and may cause damage in their senior years.  Stay positive and never give up.

Respected Contributor

@Gabidog ...Heart

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 My Daddy did too ☺️.

Regular Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Anyone out there as lonely as I am?. Very Lost.And the Pandemic  is making a lot worse.

Its good that you reached out even to these forums--people really do listen and care. 

So know that everyone is out of sorts with this covid stuff- just stay positive and healthy. Do things in the house, learn something new-  we are all reaching out also. 

Respected Contributor

i'm old - mid 60s - but i don't feel old, i guess when i was yoing, 60s was old.    i was talking with my niece today. she's in her mid-20s and doing the Van Life thing with her camper van, living on the road.  Now today in So Cal, a man backed into her van and tapped her bumper. No damage, but here was an opportunity to chat with someone. just a friendly hi, whats up?!  she says she's lonely, being on the road. other Van Lifers she has met are moving on to Palm Springs, and she's there in Surf Country.

well this man who bumped into her he said he was from London, he said it was his first day in Santa Barbara...but she didn't want to talk to him because she said he was OLD. he was in his late 60s she guessed.  too old to bother with :-(

yah he could have been a scammer...but it was mid-day and on a busy street.  people are too hung up on age in this country...i guess i am too old too. i'm a boomer and i saw someone with an OK BOOMER T shirt recently. makes me feel concerned for the future.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that loneliness has become an epidemic within the pandemic. My 99 year old mother calls me 3-4 times a day because she has no one else to talk to. My best friend calls me every day from 3000 miles away because she s having problems in her family and feels deserted. I am fortunate that I am not alone. However, my husband has Alzheimer's and my beagle has terminal cancer. We have a live-in aide for my husband and we enjoy chatting every day. Still, I worry about all the harm that is being done by this rotten Covid.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I grew up in Eaton Park, just south of Lakeland.  Very familiar with North Lakeland

what a small world! I love it

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Re: "Getting Old Is Awful"

[ Edited ]

@Becca Lou @AngelPuppy1

Getting old is not fun, especially if we don't have the good health and energy that we had when we were younger. Mentally, I don't feel old, but arthritis in knees, feet and shoulder, remind me

of the things that I can no longer do. Now, trying to stay safe

from covid has become a real drag after 2 long years.

Angel Puppy, you totally expressed my sentiments. At the

end of February 2020, I retired from the school department after

32 years. My sister in law retired at the same time. We had plans to visit museums, go out to lunch, take walks by the beach.

(before the arthritis limited my walking).

My husband and I planned on taking some day trips, going out for dinner and maybe doing some traveling. I so

looked forward to enjoying my retirement and maybe taking some Tai Chi classes, since yoga has become a little difficult

for me.

THEN covid hit. How disappointing that all plans had to be put on hold. I have 5 children and 6 grandchildren and 7

greatgrandchildren. We have not had birthdays or Thanksgiving or Christmas with family for two years. We talk on the phone and share emails. We have had occasional, brief,

masked visits only. I miss seeing those babies.

Almost every day I read these blogs. At least we can share this experience online together. There are some interesting topics and points of view. I pray that things will get better, hopefully this year. At least before we get too old to do

some of the things that we enjoy.

We have a cat who craves attention and loves to be brushed every day. She is very sweet and we enjoy spoiling her. My husband mostly watches sports on TV. We did some puzzles and I like to read. I buy books from Amazon and one daughter gave me 5 books for Christmas. Last week, I finished

reading the fifth book.

A long time ago, I knitted, crocheted and did various types of needlework and sewing. Now, my fingers have arthritis and have lost dexterity.

I used to paint in oils and watercolors and I thought that I would resume that when I retired. I just have not been motivated to do it. I have beautiful colored pencils and many

coloring books; maybe I'll do that.

Last year, I was glued to the TV and watched everything

about covid and the news. I was immobilized, traumatized and maybe depressed. I stopped watching CNN and negative things.

I want to focus on positive things. There are so many things to read online and many cute animal videos on youtube.

We have to find ways to entertain ourselves, even if we are not out socializing.

Most of the people who post here, are very supportive of each other. Sharing our thoughts, feelings and helpful information is a positive thing. We are blessed that these blogs

and forums are here for us.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Getting Old Is Awful"

[ Edited ]

I know you all don't mean it that way, but life for some isn't a bed of roses and there might not be an easy answer.

And that if it isn't it's not because we don't do anything for others or have a hobby. . . 

I don't really talk about it here, but the last 20 years have been very hard on me physically and emotionally.  It has aged me, faced me with things I can't do anything about but have to make decisions about, and left me with a lot of people's problems, putting their problems and needs before my own.  Yes, I feel old.  Friends and family are almost all gone, and none nearby, none that we keep in touch. 

I think God many times a day for my husband, but he has gone through all of this with me and we are both worn out.

I know you all are well meaning, but please think about what others lives might be like before you imply that it's an easy fix if you feel lonely, old, or defeated.  Sometimes it's just what you have to live with at the moment.  

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

Yes, for sure!  All we can do is wait it out and hope and pray that we are stronger than it is!  I am wishing a happy and healthy new year to you and yours, as well!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin