Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou 

I have empathy for you and have understanding of your feelings.  We all approach these things in different ways, and all of our feelings are valid! As for myself, I am blessed that I have my DH.  However, a person does enjoy the company of family and friends occasionally and the ability to go out in the world, even if it's just to shop aimlessly or have a nice dinner.  When I retired, I thought -- this is so wonderful!  I will have the time and freedom I craved for so long!  I can meet with friends all the time, I can go out and shop when I want, I can take exercise classes, I can maybe try and take a class or two on crafting, etc.  DH and I can take some little jaunts and trips and go out and eat whenever and wherever we want.  Then the dreaded virus hit and there went that!  DH and I are getting up there and neither of us are in very good health, and so we are on the cautious side regarding the virus thing.  I feel blessed to still be here and have so many things to be thankful for.  However, getting older does have many challenges.  Some people do not have serious health issues and not as many challenges and that is great.  But others of us do.  That's just how it is in life.  Yes --- even though I have DH, I still get lonely and feel closed in and closed off.  I am even missing when I do have to go out, say to the doctor or drugstore, smiling at people and having them smile back --- you can't do that wearing a mask!  S0 --- in regarding to what you have posted --- yes --- the pandemic has made many people, self included, feel lonely, etc.  My prayers are constant and fervent for this thing to be conquered and under control soon -- very soon!  Blessings to you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My father used to say "LIfe is what you make it."  IMO, he was right.  As long as one is healthy, there's not too much to complain about.  Force yourself to go out.  Don't let this virus thing make you paranoid.  Mental health is at least as important as physical.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Anyone out there as lonely as I am?. Very Lost.And the Pandemic  is making a lot worse.

I'm old in years, but JUST 6 months before the Vulgar Virus hit, I was living a GREAT, REFRESHED, CHEERFUL NEW LIFE in MUSIC, always the greatest non-family passion in my life.

Solitude is no problem for me, and I practice every day, but playing in concert band has been the best late-in-life reward I've ever found, so now, we ALL LOSE. 

My band can't rehearse, the residential centers where we often entertain have lost their entertainment, no incentive for many of our members to continue playing, for some, no interaction with anyone but the mailman.

"Misery Loves Company", my mother used to say. At this point, anybody looks good. I'm thinking of asking the mailman if he's ever considered learning how to play the bassoon.

Honored Contributor

Nope! 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Anyone out there as lonely as I am?. Very Lost.And the Pandemic  is making a lot worse.

I'm alone but never lonely.I have a house to clean, clothes to wash, phone to read the news, Puzzle set up to work, books to read, I just never have time to get lonely. Guess I'm an odd one, but I love being alone.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet  Dog parks are different. I had been going in the early A.M. and it was all men with large dogs and they wouldn't even speak to me. They all  walk fast and talk only about typical male interests. I have a genuine rescue  Mutt so not not in their clique. I have been going at different times so both my dog and I see others. That has helped somewhat. It gets me out of the house and moving.

Our church has more people( double )attending on line than in person. Eliminating  one Sunday service. I used to like to take leisure type classes at the Technical college but now all on line,  even Yoga. I enjoyed  it and get so much more out of a real class moving correctly or not. No wonder the students are missing out on socializing in some areas. I feel for the kids.

I started to travel overseas  but don't want to plan anything with Covid. Some days I don't talk to anyone. I could volunteer more but don't want a scheduled volunteer job on a certain day every week, as worked nearly 50 years and had to show up every day. I sure you dont miss the work place stress either, but this time in life has its own issues.  I am luckly to be healthy so far and try to be grateful for my blessings and keep going. I live where Winter in cold, snowy and long.

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I'm alone but never lonely.I have a house to clean, clothes to wash, phone to read the news, Puzzle set up to work, books to read, I just never have time to get lonely. Guess I'm an odd one, but I love being alone.

I also enjoy being alone at times, I find it peaceful and relaxing

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think getting old is awful. It has negatives, but many positives also. The virus has changed certain things, but I've been working around it and not letting it rule me. Change happens and one deals with it. Staying away from the news helps immensely.

I hope that anyone who feels bad all the time gets some help to get through this. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

My line is "Getting old isn't for sissies."

Respected Contributor

This post kind of broke my heart. I'm seventy. And I agree that many many seniors feel lonely, invisible. But I believe that certain variables affect this. 
1. where you live. In Florida, our state is open, meaning there is no virus lockdown. The residents come and go and gather as we like, masks are completely optional. No restrictions. Of course places like health care facilities require them. Last night we went to jazz concert and dinner downtown.  I could count the number of masks I saw on one hand. Ran into a friend, we hugged. No worries. Much of this depends on whether you live in fear of catching a virus, or you choose to live normally. Choosing to isolate oneself from activity will certainly bring on loneliness. 

2. if you have decent health and a spouse, that makes a huge difference. I'm still able to enjoy retirement even though that could change at any time. With that in mind, I try to find joy in even the simple things every day. A hot fresh cup of coffee. Walking to the mailbox feeling the warm sun on my back. Playing with my little dogs. Doing my Bible study. A new book. A jigsaw puzzle. 

3. If poor health is an issue, and you really can't get out and about, the women who responded to your post have given some good ideas for things to do. 

Harmonize the World